"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That is not a true statement, bad living has absolutely NOTHING to do with high blood pressure.
Nitpick much?

No high BP isn't always caused by bad living. but it is almost always associated with it.

Smoking = bad living
Alcoholism = bad living
Overweight = Bad living unless you have a medical condition.
Stress = If it's causing you high BP take Prozac, or smoke weed.

So unless it's genetic or a medical condition it's due to bad living. so it would be a vast minority that has high BP by default.
__________________

__________________
grndzro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
Nitpick much?

No high BP isn't always caused by bad living. but it is almost always associated with it.

Smoking = bad living
Alcoholism = bad living
Overweight = Bad living unless you have a medical condition.
Stress = If it's causing you high BP take Prozac, or smoke weed.

So unless it's genetic or a medical condition it's due to bad living. so it would be a vast minority that has high BP by default.
And your medical degree comes from?

Your information on cholesterol is also incorrect. I'm not nitpicking, but when you make health claims you should be made aware that what you are saying is not correct.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
And your medical degree comes from?

Your information on cholesterol is also incorrect. I'm not nitpicking, but when you make health claims you should be made aware that what you are saying is not correct.
Your brain needs cholesterol to coat the blood vessels. a common cause of stroke in vegans is cause they eliminate all cholesterol in their diet.

I apologize for sounding defensive but I have been studying nutrition for a very long time.
__________________
grndzro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Lowering your cholesterol too far is a danger, but it is also not necessary to use animal fat to get your cholesterol. This could be a true vegetarian dish simply by exchanging the animal fats for canola, olive or grapeseed oils.

It's the immoderate use of ingredients that cause problems in the future. Ignoring salt content while you are young is still a major risk factor.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Lowering your cholesterol too far is a danger, but it is also not necessary to use animal fat to get your cholesterol. This could be a true vegetarian dish simply by exchanging the animal fats for canola, olive or grapeseed oils.

It's the immoderate use of ingredients that cause problems in the future. Ignoring salt content while you are young is still a major risk factor.
Yea it could easily be a true Vegetarian recipe. But I am not a vegetarian.

I guess the use of Bacon grease is a bad idea. almost all saturated fat.
__________________
grndzro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #16
Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That is not a true statement, bad living has absolutely NOTHING to do with high blood pressure.
Yeah, but like many seriously misleading statements, there is a grain of truth in what GroundZero says. The current recommendation for daily sodium intake for disease free Caucasian adults 50yo or younger, is 2,300 mgms a day. The average actual consumption in the U.S. is about 3,400 mgms (for a recent article, try Sodium: How to tame your salt habit now - MayoClinic.com ). And it is true that excess sodium intake is unlikely to hurt anyone in that age, ethnic and health group, anymore than smoking is likely to cause cancer in anyone under thirty. The problem arises when an individual develops diabetes or any form of cardiac, renal or hepatic (liver) disease (and if that is a sign of "bad living", most Americans over sixty five are more or less "bad!) and of course, when he passes fifty. Believe me, it is much easier to gently lower yr sodium intake by a few hundred milligrams to 1500 than to have to start using less than half of what you are used to.
Also, GZ, I hd thought that you were a vegetarian trying to maximize your methionine and cysteine levels which can be notoriously low in vegetarian diets. If you believe that plants are a superior source of protein to flesh, then I suggest that you review the medical (not body building!) literature again.
Cheers
__________________
PhilinYuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
My objection is saying that people with illness are "living badly" it's is not a fair assumption. "Bad" people are those that rob, kill and thieve...

Some of us were brought up eating poorly, because that is what our parents could afford, does this make them "Bad" people? We are here to discuss cooking, it is possible for us to point out concerns and not point fingers at those who have different dietary choices than those we have made for ourselves...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Lowering your cholesterol too far is a danger, but it is also not necessary to use animal fat to get your cholesterol. This could be a true vegetarian dish simply by exchanging the animal fats for canola, olive or grapeseed oils.
Cholesterol is an animal product, though. Plants contain little or no cholesterol.
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
I'm pretty good with nutrition and cobbled together this a few years ago when I was researching the ultimate vegetarian muscle gaining dish.
The OP mentions vegetarian. Simply pointing out how it can be vegetarian. Many vegetarians are lacto-ovo because they are aware they need cholesterol, so they get their animal fat without adding in bacon fat.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilinYuma View Post
Yeah, but like many seriously misleading statements, there is a grain of truth in what GroundZero says. The current recommendation for daily sodium intake for disease free Caucasian adults 50yo or younger, is 2,300 mgms a day. The average actual consumption in the U.S. is about 3,400 mgms (for a recent article, try Sodium: How to tame your salt habit now - MayoClinic.com ). And it is true that excess sodium intake is unlikely to hurt anyone in that age, ethnic and health group, anymore than smoking is likely to cause cancer in anyone under thirty. The problem arises when an individual develops diabetes or any form of cardiac, renal or hepatic (liver) disease (and if that is a sign of "bad living", most Americans over sixty five are more or less "bad!) and of course, when he passes fifty. Believe me, it is much easier to gently lower yr sodium intake by a few hundred milligrams to 1500 than to have to start using less than half of what you are used to.
Also, GZ, I hd thought that you were a vegetarian trying to maximize your methionine and cysteine levels which can be notoriously low in vegetarian diets. If you believe that plants are a superior source of protein to flesh, then I suggest that you review the medical (not body building!) literature again.
Cheers
No not plants in general, but Broccoli/Garbanzo/Pink Lentils combine to make a really good amino acid profile. I spent weeks looking up the amino acid breakdown of vegetarian protein sources and those 3 combine nearly to perfection.

For some reason google's ability to find the same websites I used in 2006ish is nonexistent no mater what search terms I use. Pink lentils cover a better spectrum of deficient amino's than green ones although it is pretty close between the 2 it can be left up to personal preference.

All I can say is try it for a week or 2 ^^

PS I used "Bad living" in a loose sense. That has nothing to do with the fault of the individual. It was not meant to presume that all people with conditions are to blame for them. I cant go around trying not to step on eggshells. People are responsible for their own health. That is not saying that they are always responsible or to blame for their problems. I do however assign blame when someone has a problem and does nothing to try and fix it.
__________________

__________________
grndzro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
broccoli, stew

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.