"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #141
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Well done Rob, that's a great loss, you're a one-er. I can't wait to be under 200 pounds!!!

Welcome JoyC, summer is great food wise, but it can be hard to keep motivated with the exercise. I do a lot of swimming, especially in the hot weather.

Old 07-17-2005, 08:20 AM   #142
Assistant Cook

thanks for the welcome

have been reading some of the posts and am very impressed with the weight losses - how do you stay motivated over the lonf run. hate to think about how many pounds i should get rid of just too depressing so am trying to vocus on small goals. Going to reward myself after getting rid of the next 4 after that willk have to set another mini goal to work toward
Joyce

Old 07-17-2005, 10:15 AM   #143
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
My motivation

I stay motivated by a fear of an early death from heart disease and diabetes, the very things that took my fathers life at 64 and my Grandfathers life at 65. I was diagnosed as being “pre-diabetic” this past April at age 44. As my father had his first heart attack at 43, this was a wake up call of the first order. Since that Doctors appointment, I have stuck close to a Type II diabetes diet, following the 2000 calorie a day chart.

I have lost 34 pounds since April 28th when I began the diet and I have some 40 pounds yet to go. I started the diet at a weight of 304.5 pounds. My goal weight is 230 pounds. That will still be too heavy for my 6’ 2” frame, but it will at least be in shouting distance of where I should be.

Once I get to 230, I will work to get to 210, the weight I was when I left for College. I was in great shape and I looked MARVELOUS!

So this is my motivation: I want to see my children grow up. I was 18 when my father had his first heart attack. I will be 48 when my eldest is 18 and I will be 57 when the youngest gets to 18. If I don’t do this now, it may well be too late. This is how I find the motivation to resist the extra serving, the snack, the nibble and the late night raids of the refrigerator.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:26 AM   #144
Hospitality Queen

Great work Rob! Combat conditioning, eh? Sounds pretty cool!

Spice - that is the perfect motivation!!! Kudos to you!

Joyce - I never exercised, but was always small. As a child I hated sports, as I was quite the girlie-girl. And, as an adult I had the excuse of "well, I have children, so they keep me so busy...." However, somewhere in the mid-30's, I started noticing that I needed to do something. I finally got into exercising early this year, and began with 2 months of having a personal trainer. Yes, it was expensive - terribly so, but after seeing the results and the motivation I never thought I'd have, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'm 4 months from my 39th birthday and I can actually say I'm in better shape than I've ever been.

Joyce, stay with us, and share your journey! We'll spur you on, and when you need motivation, we're here!!! You'll also find fantastic recipes to help you get great meals without all the excess stuff you don't want.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #145
Head Chef

JoyC I started the year at 262 pounds, and I am only 5 foot 4 inches. I had never admitted that I had a weight problem, I just kept myself confident, and took care of myself in other ways. Both my parents were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, my dad three years ago and mum last year. It drove it home that I just had to do something, and now, rather than wait until the health problems had developed.

I break it into mini goals, and aim for 10 pounds a month, which has slowed down in recent months, as I am now weight training, so the inches and fat percentage is going down at the same rate, in fact quicker, but the scale weight is slower.

I stay motivated by telling everyone around me what I am doing, by posting regularly here and on a weight loss forum I use. I use a gym (in fact two gyms) and both my instructors are fabulous and tell everyone how fabulous I am, and celebrate every little victory. It's lovely!!

I too am motivated by health, but it doesn't hurt when you start being able to wear nicer clothes and get compliments. Now I am at the 220 mark and my next challenge is to get to 200 by the end of September.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:56 PM   #146
Head Chef

Spice's story mirrors my own. My dad is diabetic and very overweight; at 62 years he's practically an invalid at the moment (due to an impending shoulder replacement). He at a crappy diet high in carbs his whole life and snacked the entire day thru. I love my dad, but he's a great example of where I was headed.

Two years ago I was 5'9"-ish and around 280 lbs. I couldn't walk to the break room at work without getting winded! When I began my "diet" (I hate to even call it that- it's been more like a sea change in my attitude towards life) I couldn't really do much of anything in the way of physical activity. But I started slowly and eventually it got easier.

To me, I overcame my inertia by setting small goals. When I looked like a beached whale, I was thrilled just to lose 10-15 lbs. Then 250 made me feel better, then 240. I set my goals in 10-20 lb increments, and I found focussing on those little milestones kept me motivated.

I still have a ways to go, but I can wear clothes I haven't worn since Clinton's first term! It wasn't overnight, but I started to feel healthier almost immediately. Don't let yourself get discouraged because you're too overweight, and don't dwell on how long it will take to get fit. It's a cliche, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Rome wasn't built in a day, but it was built!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #147
Head Chef

Oh my jolly goodness, I weighed in today.....4 pounds this week, down to 216, 200 here I coooooooooooooooommmmmeeee!!!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #148
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
Oh my jolly goodness, I weighed in today.....4 pounds this week, down to 216, 200 here I coooooooooooooooommmmmeeee!!!!!
YEAH, Whoopee, way to go Kyles...You are on the way..We will all be calling you Miss Skinny Mini now..You must be so proud..I think you've done a fantastic job..
kadesma
Old 07-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #149
Master Chef

Rob, what a great success story--good for you!

And Kyles, you continue to amaze and impress me! I'm so proud of your dedication and hard work.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:30 PM   #150
Hospitality Queen

Way to go,
Kyles!!!

Closed Thread