"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > Non-alcoholic Drinks

Old 05-15-2006, 09:41 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
Just keep in the back of your mind that like all herbal teas, Yerba Mate is a medicine[/FONT]
I don't really know if I would call herbal teas medicine.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Its a pretty awesome drink. However I would pt. out that it does not have very much caffeine, very little. I do second the thought that you should not drink it if you are on medication or have kidney troubles. My father (85 years old) drank some and got too wired. He said he felt "punky, funky and junky."

I am not sure what is in it that makes it a stimulant but I dont think it's the caffeine. Or if there is caffeine there is something else as well.

As an aquired taste. It takes 3 maybe 4 days and then I was hooked.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:09 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland

I am not sure what is in it that makes it a stimulant but I dont think it's the caffeine.
Exactly. One of the reasons people drink it is as an alternative to caffeine.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:04 PM   #14
Sous Chef

I checked out that Widpedia link above. Maybe not the best site for informatoin but they say that there is a bit of caffeine in it. (Varies from almost as much as coffee to about 1/3 less) but there are also Xanthines which are alkaloids from the same family as caffeine but not the same.

Some claim that there is a coffee isomer (left-handed version or vis versa) of the caffeine molecule but that seems to be a wives tale.

Now I recall my dad is also on heart medicine and this is what may have thrown him off, he got dizzy and his heart raced. The site says that it will stimulate the cardio system. So probably not for people on medicine.

I drink it mostly w/ sweetener, but if I have time I love it with lemon and sugar. Awesome...
Old 05-16-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

It looks like there is some varying information re:caffeine in Yerba Mate. According to this site it does containe caffeine. Here is a quote from the site
Quote:
In recent U.S. campaigns, yerba mate marketers claim that yerba mate contains no caffeine - rather, a chemical similar to caffeine called mateine. Mateine, they say, possesses all the benefits of caffeine and none of its negative effects (or so they would have consumers believe). Fact: yerba mate does contain caffeine. It has been chemically and scientifically identified, documented, verified, and validated to contain caffeine for many years by independent chemists and scientists around the world ("independent" being the operative term here). This fact continues to be confirmed by independent research every year. The caffeine content of yerba mate has been assayed to contain between .7 and 2%, with the average leaf yielding about 1% caffeine. In living plants, xanthines (such as caffeine) are bound to sugars, phenols, and tannins, and are set free or unbound during the roasting and/or fermenting processes used to process yerba mate leaves, coffee beans and even cacao beans. The mateine chemical "discovered" is probably just caffeine bound to a tannin or phenol in the raw leaf.