Ideas for ground pork uses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texherp

Senior Cook
I bought a couple pounds of fresh ground pork that were for sale and figured I'd come up with some use for them. Have any ideas? I thought about making fresh country sausage or maybe just using it in place of ground beef. I don't have a ton of exotic stuff available to me so can't do anything too fancy. Maybe something I can do on the grill?

I sometimes use it in a tomato sauce with meat for pasta.
Asian flavored pork burgers.
Siu mai
Pot Stickers

Homemade wontons & soup was quick, easy and tasted better than the restaurants. I used Swanson chicken broth this time but next time I will time it so I have homemade chicken stock. Better than ANY take out!! Start to finish it took maybe 1/2 hour.

Ingredients/Prep

img_1000635_0_19df87931baa38229710087cd492ef87.jpg

Finished Soup

img_1000635_1_68a607c2e4e56a1ddf432f706c1c98ab.jpg

Lobster sauce (which is made with ground pork and NOT lobster) add shrimp or fresh string beans to it.

Pork Meatball Bahn Mi, courtesy BA Mag

Ingredients

Hot Chili Mayo
•2/3 cup mayonnaise
•2 green onions, finely chopped
•1 tablespoon hot chili sauce (such as sriracha)*

Meatballs
•1 pound ground pork
•1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
•4 garlic cloves, minced
•3 green onions, finely chopped
•1 tablespoon fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
•1 tablespoon hot chili sauce (such as sriracha)
•1 tablespoon sugar
•2 teaspoons cornstarch
•1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
•1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt

Sandwiches
•2 cups coarsely grated carrots
•2 cups coarsely grated peeled daikon (Japanese white radish)**
•1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
•1/4 cup sugar
•1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
•1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
•4 10-inch-long individual baguettes or four 10-inch-long pieces French-bread baguette (cut from 2 baguettes)
•Thinly sliced jalapeño chiles
•16 large fresh cilantro sprigs
•*Available in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets and at Asian markets.
•**Available at some supermarkets and at Asian markets.

Preparation
hot chili mayo
•Stir all ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.

meatballs
•Line rimmed baking sheet with plastic wrap. Gently mix all ingredients in large bowl. Using moistened hands and scant tablespoonful for each, roll meat mixture into 1-inch meatballs. Arrange on baking sheet. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.

sandwiches
•Toss first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
•Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat sesame oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of meatballs. Sauté until brown and cooked through, turning meatballs often and lowering heat if browning too quickly, about 15 minutes. Transfer meatballs to another rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
•Cut each baguette or baguette piece horizontally in half. Pull out enough bread from each bread half to leave 1/2-inch-thick shell. Spread hot chili mayo over each bread shell. Arrange jalapeños, then cilantro, in bottom halves. Fill each with 1/4 of meatballs. Drain pickled vegetables; place atop meatballs. Press on baguette tops.

These are great!

Craig

Szchuan Green Beans
  • 1 pound green beans or long beans
  • half pound of ground pork
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
  • 2 scallions (spring onions, green onions), white parts only
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1-2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili paste
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying, or as needed
Stir fry the beans with the garlic and ginger until they are almost tender, add the pork and fry til done. Mix in chili sauce and soy sauce. If needed, add a little broth or water and steam til green beans are done to your taste.

Serve with jasmine rice.

Last edited:
I just read the part about not having fancy ingredients--if you don't have Thai sweet chili paste, use a couple teaspoons of sugar and some red pepper flakes or those little hot chilis.

Depends on whether the ground pork is loin, or another cut. I wish the "Pork Council" would at least start labeling fat percentage like the "Beef Society" has adopted.

I, too, like Asian dishes with minced pig. In general, it makes a good wet gravy and dry hash. Like spicy Chinese ma-bo tofu over rice, and tangy Thai larb in butter lettuce wrap. Or, biscuit gravy and breakfast scramble.

What awesome suggestions...and that wonton soup looks amazing!
I have never had dirty rice with ground pork in it (that I know of) but I don't see why not...chicken liver ought to be cheap too.
Sparrowgrass--I can manage finding chili sauce, but oddly enough I can't get eggroll wrapper or rice noodles. I think I'm gonna try that green bean recipe this week, I haven't had anything with ginger in it in forever.

What awesome suggestions...and that wonton soup looks amazing!
I have never had dirty rice with ground pork in it (that I know of) but I don't see why not...chicken liver ought to be cheap too.
Sparrowgrass--I can manage finding chili sauce, but oddly enough I can't get eggroll wrapper or rice noodles. I think I'm gonna try that green bean recipe this week, I haven't had anything with ginger in it in forever.
Thank you TH! It was amazing how quick and easy it was to make.

Make a very thin pattie of the seasoned pork. Plop (a culinary term) a dollop of stuffing in the middle of it and wrap the pork around the stuffing. Bake until pork is done. Or put in a baking dish with a gravy of your own choosing and bake until pork is done.

It's usually a mixture of ground pork, chicken livers and gizzards. I personally prefer to leave out the gizzards and use just a little more livers and g. pork.

It's usually a mixture of ground pork, chicken livers and gizzards. I personally prefer to leave out the gizzards and use just a little more livers and g. pork.

OK, didn't know! That has been on my list of things to try out for a long time. I got a few bell peppers coming in on my plants too. Do you have a recipe you wouldn't mind sharing? :blush:

Homemade wontons & soup was quick, easy and tasted better than the restaurants. I used Swanson chicken broth this time but next time I will time it so I have homemade chicken stock. Better than ANY take out!! Start to finish it took maybe 1/2 hour.

Ingredients/Prep

img_1001087_0_19df87931baa38229710087cd492ef87.jpg

Finished Soup

img_1001087_1_68a607c2e4e56a1ddf432f706c1c98ab.jpg

Wow!!!!! Totally cool. Great idea.

I was going to suggest Pork Gyozas but then that is getting a little fancy I suppose. Still... one of the many things one can do if they have too much ground pork on their hands! Could also simply stuff a Red Pepper and roast it. But I love these Asian suggestions.

Wow!!!!! Totally cool. Great idea.

I was going to suggest Pork Gyozas but then that is getting a little fancy I suppose. Still... one of the many things one can do if they have too much ground pork on their hands! Could also simply stuff a Red Pepper and roast it. But I love these Asian suggestions.

Couple of people here do make Gyozas, and make Bento Lunches, etc. So, it's not totally out there.

MsMofet though, she is a plating artiste. And is always making us stick forks in the computer screen.

Little Ms Mofet of curds and whey fame? :) Yes, I have to agree with you. She has some great stuff. A fork or a chopstick though? Guess it doesn't matter. Except fork rhymes with pork... (like how I got back on topic?)

Another idea (sorry if mentioned and I missed it), pork tacos with corn tortillas, cilantro, onions and a little salsa.

Back
Top Bottom