One tomato each - a dozen varieties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have about 3 pounds of various tomatoes from our local community supported agriculture (CSA) box. Some are tiny variegated grape tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, yellow, green, variegated Bigboys, etc. One of each type. I thought about doing a tomato salad, but my family wouldn't go for it. At this point, I'm about to take them to work and just let people take them. Since they are of various flavors/acidity I just don't know what to do with them. Only one of us in my family likes to eat raw tomatoes. Any thoughts?

If you still have some tomatoes left, you could make your own sun-dried tomatoes. Put them in a zip-lock (pressing out all the air), & freeze for several months. Here's a How-To step by step:

How to Make Your Own Sun-Dried Tomatoes From Your Garden - easy and illustrated!

When you roast them, I would try to keep them all about the same size.

You can make tomato/mozzarella/basil skewers on the grill & serve them over brushetta or garlic bread.

Gazpacho, is another thought.

Tomato quiche (the 'other') tomato pie. Add in salmon (& gruyere), or pretty much anything you like.

Roasted tomatoes over salmon. Posted a link from myrecipes.

Tomato pasta

Tomato bread

Tomato pasta salad

Sun-dried tomato pesto

I've only met one pizza I never liked ~ it was some weird creation my brother loved.

My mom used to take tomatoes by the bushel and stew them for use in sauces later. She would vacuum seal them and keep them in the freezer. She would make killer spaghetti sauce with the frozen stewed tomatoes. Much better than canned any day.

That is a greate ideea

I did the same thing but cooked my tomatoes outside in one of those big turkey fryer pots. Yes there were a lot of tomatoes. Had to do three batches. Well worth though.

If you still have some tomatoes left, you could make your own sun-dried tomatoes. Put them in a zip-lock (pressing out all the air), & freeze for several months. Here's a How-To step by step:

How to Make Your Own Sun-Dried Tomatoes From Your Garden - easy and illustrated!

When you roast them, I would try to keep them all about the same size.

You can make tomato/mozzarella/basil skewers on the grill & serve them over brushetta or garlic bread.

Gazpacho, is another thought.

Tomato quiche (the 'other') tomato pie. Add in salmon (& gruyere), or pretty much anything you like.

Roasted tomatoes over salmon. Posted a link from myrecipes.

Tomato pasta

Tomato bread

Tomato pasta salad

Sun-dried tomato pesto

I have often slow roasted ripe Roma tomatoes in huge batches then freeze for use in sauces, soups, stews, chili, etc. Slow roasting concentrates the flavors and makes a tremendous difference in whatever you make with these tomatoes. My only regret is that I can't get the farm ripened, seasonal tomatoes here in Nevada like I can in Michigan. Farm markets every half mile.

Never did pesto with the tomatoes but you've given me another idea. Do you have a favorite recipe?

I am surprised no one mentioned bruschetta topping. Tomato, garlic, a little onion or shallots, fresh chopped basil,s&p, and some good olive oil. Top toasted french bread (that has been rubbed with a fresh garlic clove) and maybe some cheese, broil till warm! Snack away...

This summer a friend gifted us w/ tomatoes from her garden and we had tuna stuffed tomatoes....I can post that recipe too if ya like.

Hey, snack, thanks for reminding me. Now I have a basket of tomatoes that need to go! We've already had first frost, the freezer is full of sauce, but I'm going to need to use this last dozen tomatoes. Bruschetta it is tonight!

Back
Top Bottom