"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 03-25-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Head Chef

What can I substitute for cardamom?

but I can't find it anywhere and have not received any replies, so maybe I didn't.
Anyway, I need to know a substitute for cardamom if there is one. Can any one help me out? I'd appreciate it a alot. At $9.00 for just a few ounces, I'd like to not buy it.

Lyndalou

Old 03-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
Head Chef

Lynda the best place to find cardamom is at an Indian store and it's not going to be that expensive as it would be in specialty stores.

I buy a large packet with cardamoms in a pod for about 8 bucks. O.K. that may be high but that cardamom can last you several years and they have smaller packs which are like 2 bucks.

I don't think there is any substitute for cardamom. It has a rather unique taste that nutmeg, cinnamom, allspice cannot parallel.

Old 03-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Yakuta is right on.

Ethnic markets such as Indian, Middle Eastern or Asian markets carry a great selection of spices and hard to find ingredients that are MUCH less expensive than in specialty shops or even in your local supermarket.

Let your fingers do the walking and you can save some big bucks.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:40 PM   #4
Head Chef

If you have a Cost Plus World Market nearby, they can be a good place to find spices also.

Quote:
Cardamom Substitute

It takes 10 whole pods to make 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cardamom. Or, use ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, coriander seeds or mace, starting with half the quantity specified and adding more to taste.

Quote:
cardamom = cardamon = green cardamom Notes: Cardamom figures prominently into the cuisines of India, the Middle East, North Africa, and Scandinavia. It best to buy cardamom seeds still encased in their natural flavor-protecting pods, which you discard after you remove the seeds. You can also buy cardamom without the pods, called cardamom seeds = decorticated cardamom, but the unprotected seeds lose flavor quickly. Ground cardamom seeds are even less flavorful. Recipes that call for cardamom usually intend for you to use green cardamom, named for the green pods that encase the seeds. Some producers bleach the green hulls to a pale tan, but this makes them less aromatic. Brown cardamom is a similar spice that Indians use in savory dishes. Equivalents: One pod yields 1/6 teaspoon cardamom. Substitutes: brown cardamom OR equal parts ground nutmeg and cinnamon OR equal parts ground cloves and cinnamon OR nutmeg OR cinnamon

Z
Old 03-26-2005, 05:23 AM   #5
Head Chef

Thank you all for the information. I will check out ethnic markets in my area. None within a few miles, I know, but maybe in Ocala.

Thanks again.
Lyndalou
Old 03-26-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
Master Chef

But as to a sub ...

Cardomom has a really distictive taste and IMO there isn't any good sub for it.

What are you making?
Old 03-27-2005, 02:04 AM   #7
Master Chef

I agree .... cardamom has a very distinctive aroma and flavor that you're not going to duplicate with allspice, cinnamon, etc. In fact, if you've ever smelled Old Bay and Zatarain's crab boil/seasoning ... the very destinctive difference in the aroma and flavor of Old Bay is ... cardamom.

As others have mentioned ... herbs and spices are cheaper in an ethnic market than at the grocery store.

Can't find who mentioned it, but if you have a "Cost Plus World Market" nearby ... they have a 0.7 oz (19g) package for $2.49 ... looking at the package I bought there a couple of months ago .... and now can't remember what recipe I was going to make that called for it! Maybe funnel cakes?

To see if there is a World Market store near you check here: http://www.costplus.com/costplus/fin...selectState=10

Darn it ... smelling this cardamom is making me hungry for a big ol' pot of boiled shrimp!
Old 03-27-2005, 06:02 AM   #8
Head Chef

Thanks, michael. I found that the nearest store is over 70 miles from me. Won't be getting there anytime soon. Guess I'll have to do without the cardamom for now. I was going to make a dish I've never tried. There are plenty of other things I can make, so no big deal.
Lyndalou
Old 03-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #9
Master Chef

You could probably leave it out, unless you're planning on making cardomom coffee cake or something that depends heavily on cardomom.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:45 AM   #10
Head Chef

Thanks, jenny.
I thought of that too, its a rub for a beef dish and the recipe calls for 1/4 tsp. of cardamom. I'll bet we won't even miss it if I decide to go that way.
Lyndalou