"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Herbs and Spices

Old 11-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Cooking with Rosemary

So tonight I am planning a big dinner for my bro.

One of the dishes is Lobster Ravioli in a butter based sauce. I am going to saute some garlic and minced cuttlefish in the butter then add some Rosemary. I plan to roughly chop it and leave it in, would it be better if I just put a few sprigs in and removed them before serving?

Any other dish ideas appreciated, I have a good amnt. and I know its a strong herb and don't want to overpower anything.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Master Chef

If it were me, I would chop and leave in. But from a presentation standpoint, it might be better just to use sprigs and remove. Then garnish with a fresh sprig. I'm not one for presentation... but it sounds like it could be a nice looking dish along with tasting good!

Old 11-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

rosemary is a tough one for me. i can taste even the tiniest fraction of it in most dishes, and then the idea gets stuck in my head, and it's all i can taste. the only time that i like it is in fairly robust wine sauces and strongly flavored meats like game.

since lobster and butter sauces are mildly flavored, i would err on the side of using too little, and remove it before serving.
just my 2 centavos.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I certainly want it there but dont want to kill the dish, Ill add a sprig in at the end and then remove and see how that goes. Cant go wrong with the white sauce by itself anyway.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm with bt on this. Maybe serve on top. The steam of the dish will impart a tender amount of flavor and aroma. Add alittle white wine and toward the end, some chopped parsley, and that would be enough.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Rosemary is a strong herb and can easily overpower the delicaste flavors of seafood. Go lightly. Also, it's tough to chew so using a spring and removing it would be better. If you want to lesve it in, do more than a rough chop.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I would suggest using thyme instead of rosemary but if you're going to use it, put in the whole sprig and remove it later.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with Bt and Qs. I have a large rosemary shrub and cook with it frequently - it can easily overpower a dish. When we grill pork chops, we just put a sprig on top of the chops and can lightly taste the rosemary - it's perfect that way Also, in a sauce, I prefer to use a sprig and remove before serving because the rosemary leaves are pretty tough. Even when finely chopped, in a light sauce like you're talking about, they can be a bit gritty.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Master Chef

I have to say that Rosemary would be my very last choice for seafood preparations - especially something as delicate as lobster ravioli. Frankly, I wouldn't even use a sprig. All you're going to end up tasting is the Rosemary.

I wouldn't go with anything other than some Italina flat-leaf parsley &/or perhaps some Chervil, which always goes nicely with lobster.

Save the Rosemary for something robust like a roast chicken or stew.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I love rosemary but I like it in heartier dishes like stuffing some soups a little in roasted poultry or beef roasts. I also do not feel like it would help a seafood dish its more useful in a heavier autumn dish. A little bit of thyme or dill would be better you don't want to over power the fish in any way parsley would be good and of course garlic maybe just a little white wine and lemon.

Tags
None