Using an Aerogarden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So here's the first problem I've encountered. The lights. I can't get them to go on when I want, they keep going on at 5:55 am and I want them to go on just a little later. They go off at the right time, but not on.

And the other problem is I'm impatient. I want results now, not a week from now. :LOL:

Callisto - the major point & advantage of the Aerogarden is that it's supposed to be as self-sufficient as possible. The lights are set to go on & off to provide an optimum "light" time frame for the plants. I'm sure you realize that you can't decide how long the lights are on or off & still expect good results. I don't think you're supposed to fiddle with it. If you want to adjust the time-on/time-off while still keeping the same light time frame, you may want to re-read the instructions or contact Aerogarden's customer service.

Callisto - the major point & advantage of the Aerogarden is that it's supposed to be as self-sufficient as possible. The lights are set to go on & off to provide an optimum "light" time frame for the plants. I'm sure you realize that you can't decide how long the lights are on or off & still expect good results. I don't think you're supposed to fiddle with it. If you want to adjust the time-on/time-off while still keeping the same light time frame, you may want to re-read the instructions or contact Aerogarden's customer service.
But you can pick the 8 hours you want the lights off. I want them off 10:45 - 6:45 but they keep going on at 6 instead of 6:45. I have re-read and re-read again the instructions and they go off at 10:45 but on at 6, which is too long for the lights to be on. There are instructions so you can pick your 8 hours (obviously grow lights can be a red flag for some people's neighbors). Mine just doesn't seem to be cooperating with the full 8 hours. I've emailed the company and am just waiting for their response.

Speaking of the lights - I just did an online investigation on them, & apparently Aerogarden says that they have to be replaced every six months to the tune of $20 apiece in order to get the results you see in their ads. Apparently they don't mention this point in any or all of their online advertising stuff - it comes with the info when/after you've already bought the unit. And the bulbs can only be bought from Aerogarden.

At two bulbs per unit, that comes out to $80 per year (plus shipping) just for the lights (not counting the pods & nutritional tablets, yadayadayada).

I could buy a helluva lot of supermarket herbs, greens, tomatoes, & peppers for that.

I'm thinking I'll be taking a pass on this until Aerogarden figures out a way to make this a little less greedy & a little more consumer friendly.

Thank you very much for that BreezyCooking, that's just the sort of info I needed. That's definately put the tin hat on that idea.

Mine's definitely going back. It's annoying. The lights stay on 17 hours a day which has got to effect my electric bill and at only two dollars a fresh pack, getting fresh from Harris Teeter is just easier. My only problem is I left the box in the rain so I have to wait for it to dry out.

unless they've got a proprietary system going, i'll bet you can get the same or similar bulbs from another manufacturer or supplier much cheaper.

i will look into this as i eventually get my system set up.

it could be proprietary, as i said callisto. that would sucketh.

but that just means a chinese company hasn't found out yet about the profit margin that can be made by making slightly inferior but matching parts. :)

the internet is a great thing for finding even the most bizarre spare parts.

Well, I found out what the aerogarden is really functional for, a personal cat spa and tanning bed.

img_559119_0_6251215a57f815c2ca00f6d034677fa1.jpg

img_559119_1_5d2bfb983092fad24655b5d09e458faa.jpg

I am about to fall over laughing out loud. I so wanted one of those because I never have had enought light to grow herbs indoors in the winter. When I looked at one at BBB, I just couldn't justify the expense. I am both sorry and glad that you experimented for me. I have cats also, and that is exactly what they would do. I have to find a way to email this photo to one of my friends.

Off the subject, but part of this post, we have a big bed of asparagus and after the first two or three years it really isn't much trouble at all, and I agree the taste is so much better than store bought that my son won't even eat the kind I get at the grocery, but you have to hide the fresh from him if you want any.

The cat seems to be smaller in the second photo, so while it makes vegetables and herbs grow, it evidently shrinks animals? :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

:)Barbara

BINGO!!! In spades!!! That's EXACTLY what I was afraid of when I first even contemplated buying an Aerogarden. I have problems even growing herbs in plain clay pots on my windowsills due to the fact that my cats always seem to feel they need "pruning".

I am not a cat person. When a grand uncle next door died and left a whole bunch of pregnant cats we took care of them, neutered them, and got them all homes.

If God is an ailurophile I hope this gets me a check mark on the postitive side when I am sitting before the pearly gates.

But a cat lover I am not.

To get to the point, and I hate doing that, my sil loves cats. We sent her some Chia Cat grass palnters. They are, well, as they say, plantars that grow grass. They are ceramic things that grow grass that cats eat. And they apparently love them and have stopped barfing all over the house.

Why? Heck if I know. But the bottom line is cats will eat young shrubbery. Have heard the explanation that it helps them pass the hair balls which otherwise would come out the front route.

And that is all I know about cats and young vegetation.

Back
Top Bottom