Ideas on what to do with spicy Johnsonville brats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherifffruitfly

Senior Cook
Hi all,

I've got some in the fridge that need to be cooked up, but I got no inspiration. Any ideas about what can be done with a minimum of fuss? "Ghetto-trashy" recipes don't bother me in the least :)

I believe if you soak 'em in some beer, and then grill them they're pretty tasty. Then sautee some onions & peppers and toss them in some heated marinara sauce.
(that's the quickie version of the one we usually slow cook)

I have browned them slightly with onions and peppers, added beer, simmer for a few minutes, when the beer has reduced add a spicy brown mustard..making a mustard sauce of sorts...plate them up and go for it!!

Whoa! I don't think I'm man enough for that! ;) Kim (DH) made some hot deer sausage that I had to mix 50/50 with ground chuck...and it was still hot!

try slow cooking them in a crockpot with your favorite baked bean recipe, it'll take the spice down in good way. try a quarter cup of maple syrup in your baked beans too

Uncle Bob said:
I have browned them slightly with onions and peppers, added beer, simmer for a few minutes, when the beer has reduced add a spicy brown mustard..making a mustard sauce of sorts...plate them up and go for it!!

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

I'm using Bob's suggestion - more-or-less. I soaked em in beer for a few hours (thanks first suggestion) - then browned em in evoo (hello snap, crackle & pop!) - then sauteed onions in butter - threw it all back in the skillet with the beer to simmer & finish cooking - when the beer reduces, will add mustard (regular - don't have spicy). Don't have peppers either, or woulda included em.

I've got rice on the other burner, for a foundation for the sausage & onions.

We'll see... :)

Thanks again folks!

That should certainly work. No peppers is no biggy - the onions are the key IMHO. Hope they were wonderful! Let us know how they turned out.

kitchenelf said:
That should certainly work. No peppers is no biggy - the onions are the key IMHO. Hope they were wonderful! Let us know how they turned out.

I've never felt so German in my life (burp).

:LOL:

I don't really think "soaking" is the thing to do with brats--simmer them and then grill--or what Uncle Bob says. But just "soaking" isn't going to do much.

Back
Top Bottom