Marie Callender's pot pies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
I can't believe I've lived this long without ever trying Marie Callender's frozen individual pot pies!

After working 6 long days this week, I didn't want to cook tonight and wanted something different. A friend has been after me for years to try Marie Callender's pot pies ... he loves them. I've never been a pot pie fan, though.

Well, I picked up a beef pie for QBro and a chicken pie for me (as it happened, they were on sale ... 2 for $5). Nuked them in the microwave in their own packaging. DEEELICIOUS! And filling! We didn't need anything else - this was a complete meal. And no dishes to wash!

Marie C. ....she's definitely a keeper! :)

Lee

Never tried them but since Buck's been gone I don't have any real desire to cook. I'll check the grocery store the next time I go shopping. Sounds like something I could use in the wintertime. Thanks for the heads-up.

They are great, and with a great side salad a complete meal for us as well. However, with costs, we don't have them very often just when they come on sale and/or we have a coupon.

I don't pick them up unless they are on sale either, but they are definitely good, Laurie. Heck, I like that pot pie from KFC, too.

I recently tried the Marie Calendars alfredo chicken pot pie....very tasty! But I like them more in the oven....

I recently tried the Marie Calendars alfredo chicken pot pie....very tasty! But I like them more in the oven....

Yep, dee - I'm going to try both things next time - the Alfredo and the oven!

I'm so tickled over my "new discovery"! :LOL:

Lee

They are GREAT! There's a mushroom one too with Parmesan - it's really good! Quite satisfying when you are drop dead tired and hungry!

I haven't tried everything that Marie Callender makes - but everything I have tried was suprisingly good. Certainly not inexpensive ... but from my experience you get what you pay for (even if I can usually make it from scratch for less ys' gotta' pay the cook, right?).

My biggest problem with the Marie Callender pot pies is that there is a day's worth of sodium in each pie. I wish that they made a much lower sodium version because I would love the convenience of being able to buy something like that from time to time.

Thanks for the tip. I stopped in the store to buy one for supper but they had fresh made pot pies in their deli instead... Really tasty!! Oh... and I blew the diet on something they call a "pumpkin square", excellent pumpkin pie like substance.....OK, it's a pie with crust only on bottom...

Maybe the M.C. next time...

For the most part, M.C's products are pretty good, & their freshly baked pies are excellent. Tried the mushroom/parm, but the nutritional value salt/sodium etc was way too high. I liked Swanson's pot pies & remember when they were about 33 cents a piece. (They still may be, in certain markets/areas.) The other disappointment, for me, was cornstarch & water gravy, very few veggies and turkey or chicken. For the price, guess it's a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought 2/$5 chicken and mushroom ones last week on vacation --they were great. The crust was good too. I started by microwaving them in the box as directed, and finished them by baking them upside down out of the little pan they came in to crisp up the bottom crust. One was more than I could eat for a meal but I savored it!

Marie Callender's chicken pot pies are very good. I used to eat them once in a while til I decided to look at the nutrional guide on the side of the package. I stopped eating them when I realized they contained 580 calories, 31 grams of fat (my whole allowance for one day) and a tremendous amount of sodium. Too bad, but no can do.

They are calorie laden, but that works great for me. I have a teen son who is scary thin and I keep these in the freezer at all times for him. He likes them and they are really quick to make in the microwave.

i am having a chicken pot pie from good old marie. it is tonights dinner. i love em and with a salad it is a nice meal. i buy the small ones and give myself a treat once in a while

Back
Top Bottom