"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Oh, Bill, I can recommend a lot of things using gizzards, but all of them are unhealthy.

Though I have to say, taste really good if cooked properly. Completely of topic here. I was in NY last week and went to ethnic Uzbek restaurant. I was served a calf liver on a stick so do speak, kind of like a kebab. The pieces of liver with pieces of fat on a skewer grilled directly on hot coals. I have to say it was awesome. I did not eat fat, but what it did it gave out his moisture to liver and made it really tender. Wow.
I’d be more than happy to post chopped liver recipe if anybody is interested.
I'm looking forward to learning about your chopped chicken liver recipe Mr. D.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #22
Cook

Rinse the livers, trim so they are all about the same size, then soak for an hour or two in milk or buttermilk. Dredge them in a little seasoned flour, and cook in a little canola oil until lightly golden brown--drain on paper towels. The main thing, as others noted, is not to overcook. They need to have a little pinkness in the center & a tender texture. They turn to rubber rocks if overdone. If you don't want to bread them, just saute them in a skillet with chopped onions. The breaded ones are especially good with chicken gravy and mashed potatoes.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #23
Master Chef

I love gizard stew. Here is a very simple way of doing it. You'd need say about 3-4 pounds of cizzards. One large onion. Some oil for frying, salt and pepper to taste. Half of a tea spoon baking soda. Boiling water. Use Dutch oven or simular.
Chop onion, I like to dice. Preheat some oil in the dutch oven add onions and a pinch of salt. Sautee until golden brown. That might take a litle bit of time, make sure not to burn them, but they do have to be golden brown. At that time add gizzards. Sautee on all the sides, they should be visibly fryed, kind of brownish color. At that time add soda and maybe a half a cup or a cup of boiling water, mix well. Keep stiring till water evaporates. Add salt and pepper mix well. Then add more water, enough to cover all the gizards, bring it to boil, should not take long as you are adding already boiling water, lower the heat and cook the way you would cook soup, you know kind of light boiling. Cook for good 3-4 hours. The liquid should reduce by half. Taste reseason. Ready to serve. Add this point it is up to you what to serve it with. I don't know why, but I love noodles with gizzards. Serve the noodles on the plate, put some gizzards on the top, poor some of the liquid fro the pot over it, yum.
If you are up for it, after water boils, put the whole pot into the oven, at about 350 deg. Cook it covered, but for the last half an hour take the lid of, it will get this beautiful dark brown color.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Well, I suppose I'll be waiting until I get my next chicken. I took them out of the fridge, reorganizing, and missed them on the counter and didn't put them back in. So, they sat out all day today while I was at work... ~12 hours.

I'm lucky my cat didn't break into the bag!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #25
Master Chef

Chopped liver, for Bill.

Boil bunch of livers say 1 pound or so. With 2-3-4 carrots, some salt if you wish.
2-3-4 hard boiled eggs. One chopped onion sauté till golden brow in chicken fat or just oil. Now there two schools of thought at this point. Chop everything with a fork or put it thru meat grinder or simply put thru food processor.
I am of a later persuasion. Mostly because I never have enough time.
I put everything into food processor and pulse it. Till smooth. You not going to need all of the carrots. Carrot will help to do that. But there is fine line between smooth and mush in this recipe, you kind of have to feel it and add just right amount of carrots. Of course I’d say you can add a little bit of the time, but you really cannot. Because you should not over work the livers, they will become too smooth, and you want them to still have some texture. You can chop everything separately and then just mix it together by hand end taste.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Chopped liver, for Bill.

Boil bunch of livers say 1 pound or so. With 2-3-4 carrots, some salt if you wish.
2-3-4 hard boiled eggs. One chopped onion sauté till golden brow in chicken fat or just oil. Now there two schools of thought at this point. Chop everything with a fork or put it thru meat grinder or simply put thru food processor.
I am of a later persuasion. Mostly because I never have enough time.
I put everything into food processor and pulse it. Till smooth. You not going to need all of the carrots. Carrot will help to do that. But there is fine line between smooth and mush in this recipe, you kind of have to feel it and add just right amount of carrots. Of course I’d say you can add a little bit of the time, but you really cannot. Because you should not over work the livers, they will become too smooth, and you want them to still have some texture. You can chop everything separately and then just mix it together by hand end taste.
Charlie I love chopped liver but have never used carrots... Why do you use them, is it for sweetness, or just your heritage???
Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 AM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The chopped liver sounds fantastic...I'm so lucky, I get all the liver, gizzards and hearts I can have...DH won't eat them.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Thanks Charlie. I've copied both the chopped liver and stew directions into my recipe folder.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #29
Master Chef

Carrots add smoothness (is it a world?) to chopped liver. Actually you do not want it to be sweet that is why you do not need to add all the carrots. Also it helps during cooking to kill a liver like smell.

Bill my pleasure, enjoy.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I really enjoy chopped liver as well. A gal I know gave me her aunt's recipe that was handed down to her from her mother. She says it is very traditional. I really don't know if it is but it is a big hit at Casa de Hoot.

3/4 lb fresh chicken livers
4 hard boiled eggs
1 medium onion, grated
1/2 cup rendered chicken fat
Salt and pepper to taste
Broil the livers or fry them in a little chicken fat. Do not overcook. Grind the livers and eggs together. Add the grated onion. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken fat and mix well. Form into a ball or loaf and refrigerate at least one hour.Use a hand grinder if you have one. You can use a food processor, but don't turn this into a pate. The ingredients should have texture after grinding.

Tags
None