Big and Fluffy not Flat and Hard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommaljt

Assistant Cook
I've been trying to make homade biscuits for several months now, and no matter what recipe that I make, they always come out flat and as hard as a brick.

I like the biscuits from chick-fil-a and jack in the box, but nothing ever works out ..... if i could get a recipe for one of those biscuits, and someone tell me what i'm doing wrong, that would be great.

thanks

Welcome to DC Mommaljt. What kind of flour are you using? All Purpose or Self rising?
Maybe if you posted your last recipe and what you did, it would give everyone some insight to what the problem may be....

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Try this recipe. You need to use a pastry blender or cut with knives or whatever you do when you make pastry. Get it to about pea sized or smaller bits of butter. These are nice and fluffy.

2 cups flour
4 tsps baking powder
1/4 cup butter
2/3 - 3/4 milk
shake of sugar
shake of salt

Blend like pastry, then add the milk til dough sticks. Either cut out with a glass or make biscuit "blobs". This makes about a dozen small biscuits.

Momma: there are biscuits, and there are biscuits, and then there's Shirley Corriher's "Touch of Grace Biscuits," and you can find the recipe by clicking on their name! These will always be light and feathery, the way biscuits are meant to be.

I also join her in recommending White Lily Flour for biscuits and pastry. :)

Try these, they're my favorites:

Biscuit Mix
Use in any recipe that calls for Bisquik. This is the version I prefer, a little lower in fat than the others. Makes about 13 cups. To make biscuits with this, just add club soda, nothing more. You can also mix with water for biscuits or dumplings. For pancakes, add egg and water.

9 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. salt
1/3 cup baking powder
3 tbsp. sugar
1 ¾ cup shortening
1 ½ cup instant nonfat dry milk

Combine all dry ingredients in large bowl. Cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Mixture will resemble cornmeal in texture. Pour into large airtight container and store in a cool dry place. Will keep 12 weeks. If frozen, will last indefinitely.

Angel Biscuits
These are a delicious cross between a roll and a biscuit. You roll them out like a biscuit, and they rise like a roll. Ready in: approx. 1 Hour 45 Mins. Makes 2 dozen fluffy biscuits.

1 (.25 oz.) package active dry yeast
1/4 C warm water (110º)
2 C buttermilk
5 C all-purpose flour

1 T baking powder
1 t. baking soda
2 t. salt
3 T sugar
3/4 C shortening

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 5 mins. Add buttermilk to yeast mixture, and set aside. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in yeast mixture until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead 4 or 5 times. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to ½” thickness. Cut out biscuits with a 2½” round cutter. Place on lightly greased baking sheets, barely touching each other. Cover and let rise in a warm place free from drafts for 1 hour, or until almost doubled in size. Bake in preheated 425º oven for 10 to 12 mins, or until browned.

Back
Top Bottom