"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
What is quark?
Quark is a fresh cheese. It's made from clabbered milk. You can clabber milk by culturing it with a bit of sour cream or cultured buttermilk, sort of like making yoghurt, but easier. Then it gets heated gently for a few hours, which makes the curds separate from the whey. After that it is drained and, voila, you have a creamy cheese that is an awful lot like cream cheese. The amount of fat depends on the amount of fat in the milk used to make it and how much of the whey gets removed.

Quark (cheese) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2011, 03:11 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I think coconut butter is supposed to be a heart healthy fat.
Thanks, Betty...just wishful thinking. Right now I am on a NO Fat diet. But dang that bread sounds good. I may have to make it just to watch someone else eat it.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Quark is a fresh cheese. It's made from clabbered milk. You can clabber milk by culturing it with a bit of sour cream or cultured buttermilk, sort of like making yoghurt, but easier. Then it gets heated gently for a few hours, which makes the curds separate from the whey. After that it is drained and, voila, you have a creamy cheese that is an awful lot like cream cheese. The amount of fat depends on the amount of fat in the milk used to make it and how much of the whey gets removed.

Quark (cheese) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sounds interesting, I may give it a try. I love fresh cheese, I use a lot of the Mexican fresh cheeses in my cooking. It might be fun to make my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks, Betty...just wishful thinking. Right now I am on a NO Fat diet. But dang that bread sounds good. I may have to make it just to watch someone else eat it.
You need to be careful with no fat...there are some vitamins that are only fat soluble. I have read some studies linking Alzheimer's with certain vitamin deficiencys. You need a small amount of fat in your diet in order to be healthy; our bodies don't function properly without it. 2 - 1,200mg fish oil capsules a day would be enough and would also help protect your heart.

The study I read was referencing our modern form of agriculture, being focused on producing mass quantities of food. How the nutritional value of the food has suffered as a result of breeding for quantity rather than quality and the depletion of our over used soil. A good muli-vitamin would be a good idea as well.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
You need to be careful with no fat...there are some vitamins that are only fat soluble. I have read some studies linking Alzheimer's with certain vitamin deficiencys. You need a small amount of fat in your diet in order to be healthy; our bodies don't function properly without it. 2 - 1,200mg fish oil capsules a day would be enough and would also help protect your heart.

The study I read was referencing our modern form of agriculture, being focused on producing mass quantities of food. How the nutritional value of the food has suffered as a result of breeding for quantity rather than quality and the depletion of our over used soil. A good muli-vitamin would be a good idea as well.
Yes, I do understand all of that...I am getting the appropriate advice and supplements that my cardiologist has recommended for my current condition. But, a girl can dream of blueberry bread made with butter and cream cheese.

Thanks Betty!
Old 01-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Yes, I do understand all of that...I am getting the appropriate advice and supplements that my cardiologist has recommended for my current condition. But, a girl can dream of blueberry bread made with butter and cream cheese.

Thanks Betty!
Oh, I didn't realize you were a heart patient, sorry to hear that.

I have a friend who just decided on her own to go on a no fat diet and ended up making herself quite sick. Her doctor told her if she had just taken a fish oil supplement the whole incident could have been avoided.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize you were a heart patient, sorry to hear that.

I have a friend who just decided on her own to go on a no fat diet and ended up making herself quite sick. Her doctor told her if she had just taken a fish oil supplement the whole incident could have been avoided.
I'm a quite recent heart patient...I'm working on a good tantrum of denial and pouting.

I am doing very well, just missing my favorite things in life like butter.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
I'm a quite recent heart patient...I'm working on a good tantrum of denial and pouting.

I am doing very well, just missing my favorite things in life like butter.
Well I wish you the best of luck!!! My mother was a heart patient for as long as I can remember...it never really slowed her down. She just passed last year at the age of 87, but she died of Alzheimer's. It's a truly horrible disease that robs a person of all dignity and quality of life as a human. I swear if I start developing the symptoms I'm going to take a long walk off a short pier.

The really sad part about it is that as the person progress through the first stages of the disease they realize what is happening to them. It's as though they are trapped inside a room staring out of a one way glass but can't quite figure out how to use the door handle to get out.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Well I wish you the best of luck!!! My mother was a heart patient for as long as I can remember...it never really slowed her down. She just passed last year at the age of 87, but she died of Alzheimer's. It's a truly horrible disease that robs a person of all dignity and quality of life as a human. I swear if I start developing the symptoms I'm going to take a long walk off a short pier.

The really sad part about it is that as the person progress through the first stages of the disease they realize what is happening to them. It's as though they are trapped inside a room staring out of a one way glass but can't quite figure out how to use the door handle to get out.
I am so sorry your Mother died of Alzheimer's, it is a nasty disease. Heartbreaking. It was a ward of Alzheimer's patients that got me motivated to go to nursing school. I currently work with the elderly in Rehab and most have some type of Dementia along with everything else going on. I love working with them, they make my day. Only job I have ever had that makes me feel like I have accomplished something every single day.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
I am so sorry your Mother died of Alzheimer's, it is a nasty disease. Heartbreaking. It was a ward of Alzheimer's patients that got me motivated to go to nursing school. I currently work with the elderly in Rehab and most have some type of Dementia along with everything else going on. I love working with them, they make my day. Only job I have ever had that makes me feel like I have accomplished something every single day.
Yes, it is a nasty disease and wonderful caring people like yourself make it bearable for the families.

The last 6 months of my mom's life she had gotten to the point that we couldn't care for her any more. She needed 24 hour a day care and we had to put her in a home that specialized in the care of people with advanced Alzheimer's. I don't know what we would have done if not for the wonderful people at that home, they were a God send. There's got to be a special place in heaven for those of you who are so willing to help people in such need.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
Head Chef

I got some blueberries in the freezer - going to have to try this thank you

Tags
bread, breakfast