Grilled Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lhanson

Cook
Read an article in a magazine about how good pizza tastes when cooked on your BBQ grill and decided to try it. We've had two different ones over the last week and a half...pepperoni with roasted red and yellow bell peppers and a garlic parmesan chicken with green onion and both were awesome!! The crust turns out much better than it does when baked in the oven. Does anyone else cook their pizza this way?

Yeah I have done this once or twice before. It is a great was to cook pizza. Very tasty!

Yes, the crust turns out much better on the grill. I use

a charcoal grill with the fire only on one half. I start the pizza over the fire then finish with the grill covered and the pizza
on the cold side of the grill.

I feel inspired! My wife is pregnant and for whatever reason she has a hard time holding down food that you would think would be okay on her stomach (like chicken, bread and others) but she can stomach with no problem foods that I thought would cause the most problems (pizza, burgers, corndogs, etc...). It was her birthday on Sunday and she asked for pizza, but we were on the road, so I think I'm going to try out a grilled calzone tomorrow and surprise her...

Amcardon, that sounds like a great idea! For the first month I was pregnant all I wanted was the kind of food your wife's craving. A couple of months ago I went through a phase where one of the few things that sounded good to me was calzones (our local pizza joint got to know us very well!). Just be sure to ask her what fillings she wants in hers. As much of a veggie lover as I normally am, all I wanted in mine was some ham and cheese, cheese, and more cheese! :LOL:

The first time I was pregnant, I didn't have enough to eat. I actually stole a quart of milk and a package of oreos from a convenience store one day when I was desparate. I know the cashier saw me...he looked right at me...but he didn't say a word.
With my second child, I craved Dairy Queen hot fudge sundays.

Constance said:
I actually stole a quart of milk and a package of oreos from a convenience store one day when I was desparate.

I can see it now, my wife calling me to pick her up because she's being charged for shoplifting! She can't seem to get enough to eat either and I have been thoroughly amazed at how much she can put down now that she's pregnant!

By the way, we're going to try out grilling a calzone tonight. I took PA's advice and asked my wife to pick up whatever she would like for toppings on her way home. I'm excited to see how this turns out! I've seen people grill pizza/calzone on their grill but I've been a little too timid to try it myself.

amcardon said:
By the way, we're going to try out grilling a calzone tonight. I took PA's advice and asked my wife to pick up whatever she would like for toppings on her way home. I'm excited to see how this turns out! I've seen people grill pizza/calzone on their grill but I've been a little too timid to try it myself.

Thanks to you, when it was time for me to start cooking dinner last night, the last thing I wanted was what was planned (fish) and ALL I wanted was a calzone! My wonderful DH picked one up for me on the way home. So be prepared--the cravings continue throughout! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Hope yours turned out well, amcardon, and that your wife enjoyed it!:)

The difference is that wonderful smoky flavor that comes from the grill. Try putting on just a couple of dry sticks of hardwood, especially something not to pungeant, like maple. You do have to protect the crust from direct heat of course. I have found a great way to do this is by adding a thin 1/2 inch thick plank of wood to the fire, between the hot coals and the food. I love grilled pizza. It's sooooooo good.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom