"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Caviar made from Trout!

Hi. My first real post. I'm an amateur chef (my Mom was a real one) and I'm working on a recipe book that features cuisine of the BC Central Plateau (I live in Prince George)

As I hunt and fish, I have a whack of experience in these areas, and I thought I'd start off by sharing some.

I make my own caviar. The procedure is quite simple:

Trout skeins (eggs)
kosher salt
250 ml pickling jars

Separate the eggs from the skeins in a non-reactive seive of some kind. Rinse thoroughly. Take your jars (sterilized, of course) and put in a layer of about 1/4" of eggs. Follow by sprinkling on about 1/2 tsp salt. Then more eggs, and more salt, until you fill the jar about 3/8" or so below the top.

Place the lid on loosely, and put the jar in the refridgerator. Open the top every day twice (don't leave it on airtight! The caviar might spoil!) and let it cure for about 10 days or so.

Trout caviar is delicious, I feel better than salmon, better than lumpfish and only a notch below utility grade beluga. But the source for eggs is spawning fish, which you are going to have to catch yourself in the Spring. The rest of the fish is not great at that time of year, but can be smoked and the carcass used for stock for chowder or dashi, quite successfully.

Here are a couple of pictures of presentation, with blinis, homemade pepper crackers and sour cream!

Thanks for looking in!

Old 10-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That looks terrific. Unfortunately, I will probably never get a chance to make that - I really don't enjoy fishing.

Those dark brown crackers/bread, are they home made?

Old 10-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Half Baked

That looks great!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Cupcake

That looks fantastic! How long will the caviar keep? Is there a way to "can" it for long term storage?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
Master Chef

Just gorgeous, and thanks for sharing. Welcome to DC by the way, hope you stick around.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the replies!

The crackers on the right are Pepper Crackers, a recipe I've been using for many years. The "crackers" on the left, the dark brown ones, are actually buckwheat blinis, the traditional vehicle for caviar. Yes, they are all homemade. I make everything from scratch.

There is no way that I'm aware of to can caviar - it is a salt cured product and would become canned roe otherwise.

I understand caviar keeps in edible condition for about 4 or 5 weeks, but frankly I've never had it last that long!!!!

It is difficult to get enough eggs for more than a couple of 250 ml jars, because the only legal way of obtaining it is catching it yourself, and this can happen only when the trout are spawning in the spring.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Trout Roe

I do enjoy trout eggs especially accompanying a smoked trout dish. The best thing about trout roe however is the cost factor especially in relationship to true caviar.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Master Chef

Looks awesome, i wish I could taste it.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
Head Chef

awesome! I think it is really great that you do that, I wish I knew more about fish eggs. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
moltogordo, I agree with you that trout roe is better than most other caviars. I really like top quality samon roe, as well, though.

For all of us who are not going trout fishing to make our own roe, it is available on line at Petrossian, and probably several other places as well.

Actually, this place is a US company where the trout and other domestic roes are available. I can attest to their great quality.

Tags
recipe

Caviar made from Trout! Hi. My first real post. I'm an amateur chef (my Mom was a real one) and I'm working on a recipe book that features cuisine of the BC Central Plateau (I live in Prince George) As I hunt and fish, I have a whack of experience in these areas, and I thought I'd start off by sharing some. I make my own caviar. The procedure is quite simple: Trout skeins (eggs) kosher salt 250 ml pickling jars Separate the eggs from the skeins in a non-reactive seive of some kind. Rinse thoroughly. Take your jars (sterilized, of course) and put in a layer of about 1/4" of eggs. Follow by sprinkling on about 1/2 tsp salt. Then more eggs, and more salt, until you fill the jar about 3/8" or so below the top. Place the lid on loosely, and put the jar in the refridgerator. Open the top every day twice (don't leave it on airtight! The caviar might spoil!) and let it cure for about 10 days or so. Trout caviar is delicious, I feel better than salmon, better than lumpfish and only a notch below utility grade beluga. But the source for eggs is spawning fish, which you are going to have to catch yourself in the Spring. The rest of the fish is not great at that time of year, but can be smoked and the carcass used for stock for chowder or dashi, quite successfully. Here are a couple of pictures of presentation, with blinis, homemade pepper crackers and sour cream! [img]http://www.pbase.com/moltogordo/image/129909171.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.pbase.com/moltogordo/image/129909176.jpg[/img] Thanks for looking in! 3 stars 1 reviews