"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources

Old 06-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
To me there IS a clear-cut choice. I always use real butter. All the rest are laboratory fabrications.
Yes I agree too.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The labeling laws in Hong Kong are clearly very different from other parts of the world. I don't think we can help you with this as the labels don't seem to provide enough information to make a decision.
True. You might want to ask a local person about this.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

When butter was supposed to be bad for us, I switched completely to margarine. After splurging on real butter for a lobster dinner, I realized that I really prefer the taste of margarine.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
Master Chef

Butter, and butter only.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Butter.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:03 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Butter is King!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
Master Chef

BUTTER NO Parkay! LOL
Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #18
Head Chef

According to a government website, HK labeling is not so different that butter won't be labeled as butter with the primary ingredient being cream. While all sorts of imitation butter and adulterated butter may have a variety of names and sets of ingredients, butter will be BUTTER. Anchor is a New Zealend brand said to be common in HK. The front says, Pure New Zealand Butter. Also President, a French brand. Lurpak Danish Butter is also said to be in HK. Harmonie-organic butter is a UK brand sold in HK.

It's safe to presume that if an ingredient is "oil," it is not butter, although it might be one of the combinations of butter and oil. But any brand of real butter will prominently and proudly be labeled BUTTER, SALTED BUTTER, UNSALTED BUTTER, SWEET CREAM BUTTER, etc. Beware of words like "Buttery." Butter will never be labeled "Buttery," because it IS butter.

I use real butter (European style) and never substitutes. I have no fundamental problem with most of the substitutes, but I try to avoid becoming so accustomed to fakes that real food tastes odd. But I also use full-fat versions of things that are also offered in low-fat or no-fat, for the same reason I do not use sugar substitutes. I find it reasonable to believe that humans are evolved to appreciate fats and sugars, having developed through times when both were high-value, and that we are more satisfied with our foods contain the real thing and that it allows us to properly establish a reasonable metabolic set-point and helps to prevent the urge to eat more and more to seek that satisfaction.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
I mean , the local margarine/butter does not have any label about whether they are margarine or butter. They simply use the term "oil". I can't distinguish whether they are butter or margarine. I'd like to know what parameters on the nutrient label that I should pay special attention to.
It doesn't matter if you are in Hong Kong, New York, London or the moon, as several people here have already said if it says "oil" IT IS NOT BUTTER - full stop, end of story.

If the shop assistant can't answer your question ask to speak to the manager or the person responsible for buying in the goods on sale. Bear in mind that if you don't get a straight answer it may be because the person you ask has something to hide. Dairy produce generally is at a premium in China so you may be able to spot genuine butter by it's price although I suppose there could be retailers who get on the bandwagon and hike up the price on "pretend" butter and try to pass it off as the real McCoy.

China banned the import of British dairy produce in January this year but dairy produce from the Republic of Ireland is still allowed. One brand you could look for is "Dairygold". I'm not sure if New Zealand butter is imported to China but that could be a label to look for.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
When butter was supposed to be bad for us, I switched completely to margarine. After splurging on real butter for a lobster dinner, I realized that I really prefer the taste of margarine.
Each to their own. My dad didn't like butter (didn't like marge either but that's another story).

Tags
butter