Dinner ideas that don't need to be kept frozen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhillega

Assistant Cook
I live with 5 girls and we always have problems with freezer space. I tend to get screwed over, especially when we come back to college after being on breaks. Four of the girls don't go home because they work near by. So, when I finally get back there, there is no room for the food I bought. I don't drive and so it's hard for me to get to the store. So that's why I always go shopping with my mom before I come back from breaks. I'll be heading back to school next week and I know there will be no room for food.

I have bought a lot of pasta bowls and other noodle things that I can just store in a cabinent. But, I'm sick of that stuff. What other kinds of dry meals can you recommend? I'll probably buy a bag of chicken or something to stuff in the freezer, but other than that, I'll have no room for dinners.

bhillega said:
I have bought a lot of pasta bowls and other noodle things that I can just store in a cabinet. But, I'm sick of that stuff. What other kinds of dry meals can you recommend? I'll probably buy a bag of chicken or something to stuff in the freezer, but other than that, I'll have no room for dinners.
I don't know much about dried packaged meals, but you could store a school years supply of rice, beans, pastas, canned tomatoes and peppers, and dried chili peppers and store them without need of refrigeration. I'd also think about powdered milk and dried minced onions.

I'd rather have fresh meat, but could live on canned if I had to. Everybody knows about tuna. I like the dried beef that comes in jars heated in a milky gravy (bechamel) on toast; also known as SOS. Have you tried the canned roast beef products?

Garlic, potatoes, and onions will keep in the cupboard 2 or three weeks.

Root vegetables like carrots, beets, and rutabagas and citrus fruit will keep 3+ weeks in the refrigerator.

Compact refrigerator/freezers are relatively inexpensive. Have you considered that option?
I'm sure there will be more helpful responses will follow. Good luck in school.

Last edited:
If you have a freezer, you must have a refrigerator too. How much space do you have in that?

To be honest, I'm less concerned about your freezer space & more concerned about your health (as I'm sure your mother must be). How many fresh vegetables do you eat per day? Your 5 roommates must realize your situation. None of them are willing to take you food shopping or pick up some fresh items for you? Certainly you don't only shop for food during break times?????

Here are a few ideas:

*You can find all sorts of things in foil packets now...chicken, tuna, shrimp, etc...some of which are already seasoned. And then, there are the micro-wavable packets of rice, in lots of flavors.
*Check out the chunky type canned soups and chili...the ones you don't dilute.Heat up a can of soup and make a grilled cheese sandwich for some real comfort food.
*I know Spam has a bad rap, but the Lite type has a lot less fat and sodium, and you can do all kinds of things with it if you saute or nuke it first to crisp it up. Hey, Spam'n eggs, or a Spam'n cheese sandwich tastes pretty good sometimes! They also have Spam turkey now...it's good too.
*If you nuke two packages of Easy Mac and add one can of drained tuna, you have tuna casserole. Increase the pasta to three packages, add a small can of drained peas or other vegie, and you have a balanced meal.
*Keep a small (1 lb.) package of Velveeta Cheese (Lite is best) on hand. It doesn't have to be refrigerated (although I do after it's been opened), and it will come in handy for all kinds of things...like the grilled cheese sandwich I mentioned above.

Here are a few ideas:

*You can find all sorts of things in foil packets now...chicken, tuna, shrimp, etc...some of which are already seasoned. And then, there are the micro-wavable packets of rice, in lots of flavors.
*Check out the chunky type canned soups and chili...the ones you don't dilute.Heat up a can of soup and make a grilled cheese sandwich for some real comfort food.
*There a lot of dishes you can make with a little hamburger or chicken, a can of soup, and something else. You don't have time for homemade sauces, and a lot of these soups have low-fat versions available, so don't be afraid to use them. The ones I use most are all the cream of's, plus golden mushroom, tomato, and chicken noodle.
*I know Spam has a bad rap, but the Lite type has a lot less fat and sodium, and you can do all kinds of things with it if you saute or nuke it first to crisp it up. Hey, Spam'n eggs, or a Spam'n cheese sandwich tastes pretty good sometimes! They also have Spam turkey now...it's good too.
*If you nuke two packages of Easy Mac and add one can of drained tuna, you have tuna casserole. Increase the pasta to three packages, add a small can of drained peas or other vegie, and you have a balanced meal.
*Keep a small (1 lb.) package of Velveeta Cheese (Lite is best) on hand. It doesn't have to be refrigerated (although I do after it's been opened), and it will come in handy for all kinds of things...like the grilled cheese sandwich I mentioned above.
Ramen noodles are always handy...never be without them.
Same way with peanut butter...it will always do in a pinch.

BreezyCooking said:
If you have a freezer, you must have a refrigerator too. How much space do you have in that?

To be honest, I'm less concerned about your freezer space & more concerned about your health (as I'm sure your mother must be). How many fresh vegetables do you eat per day? Your 5 roommates must realize your situation. None of them are willing to take you food shopping or pick up some fresh items for you? Certainly you don't only shop for food during break times?????

Oh they do take me shopping, if they have to go. Sometimes I'll go along and pick up a dinner or two, a few things on my own. But I do the bulk of my shopping before I come back from breaks. I do have a big refridgerator with lots of room to store vegetables and fruit.

Canned ham is very versatile. You can bake it with a glaze, or slice it thick and fry the slices to serve with canned pineapple, or grind it up with onions, pickles and mayo for sandwiches.

Then there's the ever-popular Green Bean Casserole:

GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
2 cans green beans
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/8 tsp. pepper
3/4 c. milk
1 can of French fried onion rings

In a casserole dish, combine green beans, cream of mushroom soup, pepper, and milk. Top with onion rings. Bake for 35 minutes at 350.

Get some dried shitakes or other mushrooms, with arborio rice, and make mushroom risotto.

You could look up the NY Times bread recipe here and make that. A LOT.

Make pizza dough from scratch (or buy it for the fridge), and top it with things like olives, anchovies, garlic, onions, pepperoni etc, that don't need to be refrigerated.

Barilla pasta sauce is wonderful, especially the green and black olive one. Use it on any pasta, lasagna, ravioli you can find.

Canned crabmeat, bread crumbs and veg oil for crabcakes.

Underwood Deviled Ham for sandwiches or deviled eggs.

Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

Canned corned beef hash (brown it up and serve with poached eggs and toast ... YUM!)

Honestly, bhillega, there is a world of wonderful canned and non-refrigerated foods! These are a few ideas off the top of my head. If I have any other glimmers of brilliance, I'll add to the thread.

Lee

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom