Favorite Childhood food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PA Baker said:
It's one of my mom's and my favorites, too! It was always a treat when my grandma or mom would make a pie and have leftover "trimmings" of the pie crust to bake with cinnamon sugar.

Wow PA! I guess families are more alike than I ever knew! :LOL:

Isn't it wonderful to find out all of these things we have in common? :cool:

I remember helping to spread the butter. After my grandmother sprinkled the sugar and cinnamon and cut the dough into strips, I would get to roll them up.

I guess every child loved these delicious little treats.......

I guess that makes me a kid still!

Bacon Bunnies, my grandmother called them, half of a hot dog bun, a layer of butter, some cheese and a slice of bacon, roasted in the broiler, also had a yen for tacos which I"m not into now as hubby caused an OD

Sweet eggy bread, for breakfasts. Kid size cheese & tomato pizzas. Toast cut into quarters always remind me of my childhood, although not a favourite at all lol. Pizza rolls. Defo a favourite. Mums sunday roast dinners, with very memorable gravy. Those pilsbury cheese & chive pastry pockets, I used to stick them in the toaster and go get ready for school, then eat them lol. Theres a lot more food .. just cant remember now i guess. Will update if i remember!!

thank you, jgdean, for dredging up an old thread, and thoughts of old members like chocolate chef. :) i hope she's well.

shamalicious, i woulda thought you'd say "ding dongs". ;)

I grew up Southern California and never tasted grits or powdered eggs. At about 14, I wound up in a military school in central Florida. Powdered eggs with grits and bacon or sausage is a food of love fallen into way back then.
Chipped beef in a [SIZE=-1]bechamel sauce over toast (SoS) or, better yet, over biscuits, is another favorite from that era that I've never outgrown.
[/SIZE]

This is quite silly! One of my favorites, and also my sisters', was grilled cheese sandwiches I made with the iron. I never did this when my mom was home, but when she was gone, my sisters would always ask me to make them. Of course the iron wasn't a steam iron. I still have a scar on my mid section from getting to close to the iron when cooking these.:ROFLMAO:

hmmmm
i remember stealing bread from my uncle's bakery and grabbing a knob of butter and hiding up a tree eating it
lol

faves(back then and still now):
sweet and sour pork
mangoes
pineapples
chinese bbq pork
chinese rice porridge
chinese moon cakes
chinese red bean cakes

(back then but not now):
grilled cheese sandwiches
chinese salted eggs
oat meal porridge with butter and brown sugar
granny's mac and cheese (oldfashioned way with bechemel, real cheddar and baked with breadcrumbs on top)

I really loved Vienna sausage with ketchup. But my mom seldom give it because It's not good at health........ ☞☜ At now, it it funny to ask mom when to cook Vienna sausage very often. lol

In a time when lamb was cheaper than it is today...we often had lamb shoulder chops for dinner. Loved the little riblets along the side and the marrow in the bone in the center. Also mom's split pea soup with ham was and still is (I got the recipe) comfort food big time...with popovers or cornbread.

For me, it has to be 'kaya,' a spreadable custard-like concoction, spread over margarine on slices of fresh bread. I still crave for kaya, however, because of its high egg and coconut milk content, as well as difficulty in preparation, have to forego my childhood craze.:(

I don't remember anything specific from childhood - though I ate some wierd combinations at university. A friend had this favourite dish - pichard casserole - tinned pichards in tomato sauce, tinned tomatoes and onion cooked together. It was so acidic - guarenteed indigestion.

My mom's fried chicken with rice and gravy is the absolute best. I also loved, and still do, sliced cucumbers in white vinegar - and I'd sip the vinegar when the cukes were gone :)

Some other childhood favorites were PB&J sandwiches with milk, fried shrimp, fluffy pancakes with sausage links and real maple syrup, fried eggs cooked in bacon fat, steak, salad with Good Seasons Italian dressing, and Kraft spaghetti dinners, which they don't make anymore. That's okay, I know how to make marinara sauce now ;)

Oh yes, i remember another one, a weird combination, which still goes well with me today, i dip bread crusts in drink! lol

I always loved my mom's tuna melt sammiches... She'd toast the buns first, then put a nice mix of tuna stuff in them along with some (mozerella?) cheese. Then she'd wrap em in foil and bake em. They were DEEEE-lish!

I also loved hot dogs and pizza. Still do.

Back
Top Bottom