Food or drink that helps you sleep.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I take 50mg of over the counter sleep aid (Diphenhydamine) every night and it works like a charm. It's actually Benadril, (only cheaper) and also what's in Tylenol PM without the Tylenol. I've used it for years. I stay asleep for eight hours and wake up without any side affects.

I take 50mg of over the counter sleep aid (Diphenhydamine) every night and it works like a charm. It's actually Benadril, (only cheaper) and also what's in Tylenol PM without the Tylenol. I've used it for years. I stay asleep for eight hours and wake up without any side affects.

Diphenhydamine is just and antihistamine and most over the counter sleep aids contain a form of it. Any antihistamine will work since it just causes drowsiness and basically knocks you out but I wouldn't use it long term without consulting a Dr first.

Antihistamines, especially those inhaled, can become habit forming. Be careful with any kind of drug, be it alcohol, antihistamine, or whatever. Every one of them can harm the body, or so says my doctor.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

thanks for all of tge replies, everyone.

i appreciate the advice about medicines, but i'm trying to avoid using pills. i took ambien for a while until i realized how much fun it was with a beer. like drinking a case, but without the bug gut.

in the words of the late ms. winehouse, "noooo, no, no".

the last two or three nights , i have not used my advair inhaler. doesn't say sleeplessness is a side effect. however i have slept fine for three nights. it was prescribed over a year ago when i was so ill. i don't think i need it twice a day anymore. i will ask dr. of course. since the debacle involving two meds. last year i am suspicious of all meds. i drop what i can.

BT, I, too, have a problem waking up after a while. Sometimes several times a night I wake up and never know if something woke me up or I just awakened. I have some of the sleepy time tea and will see if it keeps me sleeping tonight. We eat dinner early so as not to have anything heavy on the stomach. Dh can fall asleep in his chair, sleep for hrs, go to bed and sleep like a log. I don't dare take a nap during the day for fear of not being able to sleep at night.

BT, I, too, have a problem waking up after a while. Sometimes several times a night I wake up and never know if something woke me up or I just awakened. I have some of the sleepy time tea and will see if it keeps me sleeping tonight. We eat dinner early so as not to have anything heavy on the stomach. Dh can fall asleep in his chair, sleep for hrs, go to bed and sleep like a log. I don't dare take a nap during the day for fear of not being able to sleep at night.

Have you ever had a sleep study done to test for things like sleep apnea and night twitches (don't know the technical term for that one). Some people will quit breathing momentarily in their sleep or will get strong muscle twitches that cause usually the legs but sometimes the arms to jerk/spasm. The sleeper often doesn't know it's happening but it's enough to wake them up. I believe there are treatments for both so it might be worth checking into.

Yes, I've had a sleep study. The only thing they found was that if sleep on my back I don't sleep well. I don't sleep on my back anyway. Tonight has been a good example of how bad I sleep. I was awake probably 6 or 7 times and finally decided to get up and read. That will help me to at least get a nap. The whole night has been like a series of naps.

I had a sleep study and found I have sleep apnea. I was put on a CPAP machine. It is a pain in the butt, but you get used to it.

Warm milk before bed is my go-to, but I have more trouble staying asleep than getting to sleep. Alternatively, not food or drink, but having the radio on, low volume, seems to help. I can't listen to music, though -- that doesn't turn off my brain well enough -- it has to be someone talking that lets me drift off again, which can sometimes take hours. The only middle-of-the-night talk programming that I can find down here is the Coast-to-Coast show, that frequently takes on the subjects of aliens, ghosts, etc. :ermm: The call-ins are usually so way out that there's nothing scary about it and it usually does the trick.

I would also suggest you try a homeopathic remedy like Natura - Recue Remedy or Bach - Rescue Remedy. Both are safe even for children to use and relieve the stress of everyday life that keeps most adults from sleeping properly. They are available at pharmacies and health stores in drop form.

I am a Chronic insomniac, it doesn't help that I have switched to sleeping at night (Night Owl) and have about run out of all OTC remedies, teas, visualizations, etc. I'll be talking to my doctor soon...I'm pretty sure it's all the odd hormone jumps going on.

tinlizzie said:
Warm milk before bed is my go-to, but I have more trouble staying asleep than getting to sleep. Alternatively, not food or drink, but having the radio on, low volume, seems to help. I can't listen to music, though -- that doesn't turn off my brain well enough -- it has to be someone talking that lets me drift off again, which can sometimes take hours. The only middle-of-the-night talk programming that I can find down here is the Coast-to-Coast show, that frequently takes on the subjects of aliens, ghosts, etc. :ermm: The call-ins are usually so way out that there's nothing scary about it and it usually does the trick.

Have you tried a white noise app? They have them for IPad, IPhone, BB, and Android. You can get running water, TV static, etc. We find they work well when we're in a strange hotel with street noise.

Ambiance for IPad is nice, and free. We also have a rather noisy fan running at home.

Last edited:
I always go with warm milk when I have trouble in sleeping. Turning the radio on with soft music also helps. As for the food that should not be eaten before going to sleep, I don't eat fried food before going to sleep. The oil keeps me heavy and gives me a heart burn. It is always better to eat your dinner at least 3 hours before going to bed.

I drink warm milk and take 2 tylenol - works like charm.

One of the problems I find with melatonin is that I have a horrendous headache the next morning. Asked the Doc about it and it turns out if you have low blood pressure or are taking blood pressure meds, melatonin is not for you - it lowers your blood pressure, hence, the headache.

thanks for all of the replies again everyone.

i was tested for sleep apnea last year. i have a milder version called u.a.r.s.. fortunately, i was considered only a borderline case, so i didn't get the c-pap machine.
(it coulda been worse. it might have been called u-a.s.s :rolleyes:).

my breathing wasn't completely to blame for not being able to sleep, though. during the test, my brain became functioning enough so that it was determined that i woke up 28 times.

the doctor said it was fairly normal for midnight shift workers to experience these things.

i told the doc to look on the bright side. that means i fell asleep 27 times. :)

i'm going to try g.w.'s method, along with what the doc said was good bedtime hygiene. :ermm: i asked him why he thought i slept in a dirty bedroom. he laughed and said that the term meant to block out light as best as possible, have the room on the cool side, and either wear ear plugs or use a sound machine. dw got me the latter for christmas, but i have yet to use it.

thanks for all of the replies again everyone.

i was tested for sleep apnea last year. i have a milder version called u.a.r.s.. fortunately, i was considered only a borderline case, so i didn't get the c-pap machine.
(it coulda been worse. it might have been called u-a.s.s :rolleyes:).

my breathing wasn't completely to blame for not being able to sleep, though. during the test, my brain became functioning enough so that it was determined that i woke up 28 times.

the doctor said it was fairly normal for midnight shift workers to experience these things.

i told the doc to look on the bright side. that means i fell asleep 27 times. :)

i'm going to try g.w.'s method, along with what the doc said was good bedtime hygiene. :ermm: i asked him why he thought i slept in a dirty bedroom. he laughed and said that the term meant to block out light as best as possible, have the room on the cool side, and either wear ear plugs or use a sound machine. dw got me the latter for christmas, but i have yet to use it.

BT, I bought black contact paper/shelf paper and put it over the bedroom windows, no light comes in. And the window still opens and closes..

that's a good idea, fee, but i'm not sure if dw will go for it.

i put up really thick room darkening drapes over one window, but i still have to do the other.

Back
Top Bottom