Grilling whole fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stripers are delicious. the fall striper season is just about to begin here in joisey. got my bucktails ready.

Did you mean you Would Not bake? Actually if one has no experience doing it foil might be just the thing to save the day. Especially when it comes to turning the fish. As the matter of fact i would purposely wrap the fish in foil before grilling. Spray the foil and the grill with oil really well. use some herbs, fish likes dill, I would put it inside the stomach with some lemon slices. Slit/score the skin with a sharp knife, you can even cris-cross the skin. Make long shallow cuts at the angle thru whole body of fish from the back to the stomach. Season well. Put the fish in the middle of the foil and close the foil making it into a pocket. It should be loose to have room for air to move inside. After cooking half way carefully using foil, you may want to double the foil, turn the fish upside down and cook till done, or almost done. I think one hour suggestion is good. Last 10 minutes or so I would open the foil and let fish breathe in the smoke from the grill. You can use a fork to see if meat flakes off the bone, if it does, the fish is ready. Oh, man can yo just invite me over, I'll even grill the fish for you. That just sounds wonderful. :yum: Due to some strict diet regulation I cannot grill the fish on the same grill as meat and I simply do not want to buy a special grill just for fish. ;)

Charlie, No. I suggested baking if the OP was not grill savvy.
I also have disdain for aluminum foil on a grill grate. IMO it defeats the purpose of grilling. Especially if you are using gas.

My point is why grill if you are going to wrap it in foil and hide the grill marks and the grill flavor? Or, if you are going to lay down foil on the grill, why not just use a frying pan?
I just as easy put it on a baking dish and bake it.

Thats just terrible about the condition. Which one is the issue? The meat or the fish?

Charlie follows Jewish dietary laws, aka keeps kosher. I believe the issue is that the law forbids using the same cooking equipment for meat and fish.
I don't think the fish per se is the problem, it's pareve. But, I imagine that fish is usually eaten as part of a dairy meal, so the fish cooked on the same grill as meat would no longer be pareve and then couldn't be served with dairy.

yup, it's the grill. the fish has scales, so they're good to go, sunday through friday afternoon.

I too don't understand why you would wrap the fish in foil. That is not grilling or even baking. It is steaming the fish. No matter how many slits or holes you make in the foil. Nothing wrong with steamed fish if that is what you want to make. But that is a totally different form of cooking fish. :angel:

Charlie, No. I suggested baking if the OP was not grill savvy.

Thats just terrible about the condition. Which one is the issue? The meat or the fish?

Oh, I know what you suggested. But since OP was very specific about using grill with foil on I incorporated and combine yours and my advice into one. Seems like a right thing to do.

As far as my issue I want to mention right away that it may not be issue for everybody who keeps kosher, people stick to tradition that is passed down from generations, so one may never know. Anyways, personally I adhere to the believe that one cannot cook and eat fish and meat together. I have separate frying pans for example for meat and fish. I cannot use the same grill for fish and meat because fat drips onto not only grades but also (what are they call? Seasoning bars or something?), those and even the gas line too, so it is not just grates on the top, it is all the insides of the grill that are involved. One can eat fish and meat in the same meal, i.e. fish is served first, an Hors d'oeuvre, for example, and then after those plates are cleared the meat can be served.

There is no such prohibition for dairy and fish, except milk and fish, cannot mix those two together either. But it is not a problem to cook cheese and fish together.

Hope this explains it.:)

I too don't understand why you would wrap the fish in foil. :

It seemed reasonable to suggest wrapping fish in foil because OP said that fish will be cook on the grill with foil covering the grates. Since she asked for suggestion how to cook fish, I assumed, maybe wrongly that she was not an experienced fish cooker (is it a word?). Wrapping fish in foil makes it very easy to cook the fish, especially to flip it over, it is the whole fish after all. This was my line of thinking.

Back
Top Bottom