"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

I also like Johnsonville's smoked brats, either the Jalapeño cheddar or the beer brats... precooked like a hot dog is, but with a lot more flavor than a regular dog.

I can't remember the last time I bought hot dogs. These days I use Johnsonville's Beer Brats instead, and I skin them before broiling in the toaster oven. I use two of them in slightly hollowed out toasted Mexican Bolillo rolls. They're king size hot dogs to be sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8310056[1].jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	31310  

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Pearl Kountry Klub hot dogs. hehee.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I can't remember the last time I bought hot dogs. These days I use Johnsonville's Beer Brats instead, and I skin them before broiling in the toaster oven. I use two of them in slightly hollowed out toasted Mexican Bolillo rolls. They're king size hot dogs to be sure.
Brats and hot dogs are both sausages, but brats are not hot dogs.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Brats and hot dogs are both sausages, but brats are not hot dogs.

Never meant to imply they were the same. Here's some interesting reading..
Hot Dogs vs. Brats

Old 09-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Never meant to imply they were the same. Here's some interesting reading..
Hot Dogs vs. Brats
Oops It kinda looked like it.

When we were visiting them in Germany, in 1995, the father of one of our former exchange students made a mixed grill for dinner, including two or three kinds of brats from different regions. I never knew before that how many there were. He also took DH to the bier markt, where they sold nothing but beer. He kindly bought some winter beer for DH to try, even though it was summer at the time
Old 09-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I switch around, depending on what I feel like at the moment, and what is on sale. Right now, I have some Nathan's in the fridge. I like Hebrew National, too, but why seven dogs to a package? I can't get Vienna Beef dogs here - I like them, too.

CD
Old 09-03-2018, 02:42 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Bar S here most of the time. If I'm feeling particularly flush, I'll grab a few packages of fancy hot dogs made of fairy wings and unicorn meat. Ok, fancy applewood chicken or all beef types in the Frufru packaging.

Their good, but I still prefer cheap and mixed media in my hot dogs. Relish, mustard, onions and a dab of ketchup and I'm good for a dozen or so.

I did try the Hawiian Sweet buns. That is not a good way to go. Way too sweet for a hot dog.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #28
Master Chef

We only get them in tins/cans and there's a great variation in quality and flavour but I have to admit to enjoying a good hotdog on a long roll with fried onions, French mustard and Heinz tomato ketchup (the ONLY ketchup as far as I'm concerned )

Essential to eat them out of doors as they're not the same on a plate & eaten at the table .

I think I'll pick up a tin when I'm out this afternoon.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
We only get them in tins/cans and there's a great variation in quality and flavour but I have to admit to enjoying a good hotdog on a long roll with fried onions, French mustard and Heinz tomato ketchup (the ONLY ketchup as far as I'm concerned )

Essential to eat them out of doors as they're not the same on a plate & eaten at the table .

I think I'll pick up a tin when I'm out this afternoon.

Good grief Charlie Brown!! You can only get canned hot dogs? Ykies!!
I'd skip it and make some deviled eggs...

Old 09-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #30
Executive Chef

What I wish I could still find is the hot dog I got as a kid when we went to the Minnesota State Fair. I loved those dogs!

Mom would drop us off in the area of the Midway with our budgeted money for the day. Lunch was a foot long, skin on dog from the stand there. If my memory serves, it was 25¢, which was about 1/8 of what I had to spend for rides and food for the whole day.

My brother and I would wander around checking out the rides and sideshow exhibits and try to decide how we could get the best bang for the money we had. Most rides only cost 10¢ those days, so with $1.70 left after setting aside the quarter for the hot dog and a nickel for a Coke, we could still get in a lot of entertainment. I don't remember how we hooked back up with Mom, since I don't think I had a watch yet then, but there must have been a clock that we could see somewhere.

Those were the "good old days" when a couple of kids could be on their own in a crowd for hours and nobody worried about abduction or molestation.

Tags
None