How did he do it? Pepper Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asiyreh

Assistant Cook
Hi guys

Well I've just joined the forum.

I guess what brought me here, is the fact I was hoping one of you guys could help me.

There's a restaurant/bar that I go to allot for lunch. I've two favourite meals.
The spicy beef fajitas
or
The spicy beef pasta... mmmmm

Anyways, The meal is basically - Chicken/beef, peppers, onions, rapped in tortilla.
With a side of garlic cubes... (to be explained later...)

However the tastiness of it all comes from the sauce and possibly the marinade.
So I guess there are two questions.
I didn’t want to bother the chef to much but he told me basically that it’s simply a peppered sauce with salsa added.
I just can’t seem to get it right though, it’s appears burnt orange in colour and it’s really tangee and peppery.

I’m wondering if he creates his own salsa sauce? I guess he’s be going for money saving options as this is a cheap lunchtime meal.

The peppered sauce base I’m using is a basic flour and butter roux
Cream
Cup of beef stock
Onions.
Pepper/salt.
I’ve tried adding a tablespoon or 2 of Salsa from a jar. Just doesn’t quite do the trick though.

The beef seems to be marinaded in a similar sauce, it’s similar in colour at least, however there’s a notable difference in taste when you request the beef fajita’s as opposed the chicken.

Any ideas greatly appreciated... Sorry if the post seems a little disjointed/vague. :huh:

Burnt orange in color sounds like Scotch Bonnets (a very hot pepper) made into a puree sauce, to me. But I'm not a pepper pro.

Hmmm do you think he's using this to create the salsa that he's adding?

I mean the dish is quite peppery however it's more of a nice glow rather that Oh my phone the fire brigade now type...

If this restaurant is very authentic i would doubt they used many of the ingredients you listed.

I would bet it was more like fresh roasted chilis and onions and maybe some garlic all pureed with a little chicken broth and maybe some crema if it was tangybut I kinda think the tang was probably lime.

The difference between the chicken and beef fajitas could be their marinade or seasonings let alone thier difference tastes.Chicken lends itself to citrus marinades more than beef does.

Hard to tell much though from your description of the original.

Fajitas marinades around here are usually have some common spices.
Black pepper,cumin,garlic,onion,beer,oregano.
The chicken may have some extra lime or margarita mix.

Just guessing here.

Was the sauce an added thing besides the marinade?

If this restaurant is very authentic i would doubt they used many of the ingredients you listed.

I would bet it was more like fresh roasted chilis and onions and maybe some garlic all pureed with a little chicken broth and maybe some crema if it was tangybut I kinda think the tang was probably lime.

Mmmm that's sounds lovely think I'll give that a try over the weekend.
I'm really only a newbee even though I'm using sexy words like Roux
Which I only learned two days ago hehe...

So to puree I need a blender, I guess?

The difference between the chicken and beef fajitas could be their marinade or seasonings let alone thier difference tastes.Chicken lends itself to citrus marinades more than beef does.

Hard to tell much though from your description of the original.

Fajitas marinades around here are usually have some common spices.
Black pepper,cumin,garlic,onion,beer,oregano.
The chicken may have some extra lime or margarita mix.

Haven't tried cumin, oregano or beer so I'll give those a go. What kind of beer would be good? I'm guess something thick like a stout ?

Just guessing here.

Was the sauce an added thing besides the marinade?

I'm assuming so due to the creamy texture and quantity of the sauce although the marinade is definitely part of the mixture.

Last edited:
I just noticed you are in Ireland.

There is no telling what the chef did!!!

You are not in an Authentic Mexican food territory.Go bug the chef if you want to find out.

Do you really drink Coors Light in Ireland?

Why yes he said as he took a swig from the ice cold refreshing bottle.

I'm such a victim of my own advertising. Lol.

Yeh we're not all sharing a Guinness with our favourite leprechauns over here ya know. :LOL:

Just kidding hehe

They're tricksy little critters I'll tell ye 4me. Especially when it comes to the old gold. ;)

Thanks for the welcome guys. No problems about the sauce Babe, the thing I love about the cooking is finding out what works and how it does. So I'll have lots of fun finding out for myself. :chef:

Last edited:
welcome asiyreh.

what county? :lucky:

my dad is from leitrim, grands from cavan and mayo.

as far as a "burnt" orange sauce goes, carrots are often the culprit. i've made some really pukey, diahrrea brown albeit delicious sauces using carrots, onion, garlic, vinegar, and all types of hot peppers. the idea is that carrots add sweetness.

my butt they do; not if you're using reddish or orange peppers with any kind of cajones. it just muddles the mix. adding green peppers, no matter how hot, just turns it brown.

since you are more than an a$$ and cart ride away from true tex-mex (which has it's own identity problem, lol), i agree to ask the chef. it sounds like a particular recipe.

and lol @ drinking coor's light. what is it with young irishmen/women with that stuff? i've noticed at so many bars and house parties that it's THE beer of choice with irish ex-pats.

You could always fly me, my family, and my dad over so we can taste it. We could break it down for you. ;) Ok, so my dad could break it down for you, but my ticket is my fee for his services. :)Then of course, I couldn't leave DH and DD behind. So, if you have a few extra thousands laying around, we'll be over in no time! You don't even have to buy a separate ticket for my daughter, she's under 2. :mrgreen:

Welcome to DC!

First and foremost, welcome to the forums. I don't think I could be of much help in this thread, but the following comment made me think of a joke I heard just the other day.

Do you really drink Coors Light in Ireland?

After a Beer Festival in London, all the brewery presidents decided to go out for a beer.

Corona's president sits down and says, "Señor, I would like the world's best beer, a Corona." The bartender takes a bottle from the shelf and gives it to him.

Then Budweiser's president says, "I'd like the best beer in the world, give me 'The King Of Beers', a Budweiser." The bartender gives him one.

Coors' president says, "I'd like the best beer in the world, the only one made with Rocky Mountain spring water, give me a Coors." He gets it.
The guy from Guinness sits down and says, "Give me a Coke." The other brewery presidents look over at him and ask, "Why aren't you drinking a Guinness?" and the Guinness president replies, "Well, if you guys aren't drinking beer, neither will I."

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom