Is this a good basic steak marinade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steak At The Wineries Of: Chile, Argentina & Uruguay

:yum: Good Evening,

Thanks for the interesting thread.

In Chile, Argentina and Uruguay, social life centers around EL ASADO, a type of cookout.
This is a colloquial expression, as ASAR the Spanish verb, means to roast ...

At these wineries, The Chileños are "purists" where beef is concerned.

The Chileños prepare as follows:

coarse sea salt
black pepper freshly ground
a 2 Inch thick, 1.5 pound slab of fresh steak

*** Preheat gas oven grill or charcoal grill over moderate heat, both sides for rare: 7 to 8 minutes per side and 10 mins. per side for medium rare.

The Argentinians and Uruguayans on the other hand, marinate their steaks in Chimicharri Marinade for only 2 to 3 hours:

For 2 cups;

1/2 cup red wine vinegar
4 garlic cloves minced
2 cups minced cilantro
1 red jalapeño finely chopped or dry red chili pepper sprinkled
1 cup minced parsley
1/3 cup minced fresh oregano herb
3/4 Cups Evoo

& They sprinkle with Kosher Salt after marinading, for grilling with.

The steaks I have had in these 3 countries were delectable.

Have a nice evening, :yum: ;)
Margi Cintrano.

Last edited:
I am with "The Chileños " all the way. That sounds like my kind of steak and my kind of way to do it. Thanks Margi.

@ CharlieD.,

Charlie, I had no doubt ... I have to say, that the Chileños have some very fine beef and their wine industry has grown up quite a bit too ... and improved considerably.

I too, like a rare steak seared on flame and just a touch of large sea salt flakes or kosher salt & freshly ground pepper ...

And a great glass of red crianza oak aged wine to sip with it !

Have nice evening.
Margi.

I understand that Andy. What I'm not sure of is whether a steak benefits from dry brining. I read the other topics. I'm squarely in the camp of 'undecided.'

What are we trying to change here? The flavor? The tenderness? What?

I often omit it for steaks that will be grilled. That kind of heat drives the water off as quickly as it appears. Mostly, I do it with beef I intend to braise or otherwise intend to brown first. The salt and night in the refrigerator is almost entirely to draw some water out of the meat near the cut edges. So I cut it up first. The goal is to allow it to brown as well as possible without it sweating out enough water to spoil the browning. I am undecided as to whether it actually causes the meat to retain moisture, but the salt does seem to go somewhere, and since the water that's pulled out evaporates, I assume the salt makes it inside. At least some of it. And that tends to hold the water in. So it's kind of a flavor thing, because the good brown crust is an important flavor.

Otherwise, I don't marinate much. I do use rubs, sometimes including liquids that I rub in and leave for a few minutes or leave on to evaporate over night, but I don't think that qualifies as a marinade.

Lots of salt and pepper(depending on surface size) Sear really well then cook to desired doneness (sp?) over medium heat.jOh, and I wipe it dry with a paper towel and leave it uncovered in the refrigerator for an hour or so before cooking.

Last edited:
:yum: Good Evening,

Thanks for the interesting thread.

In Chile, Argentina and Uruguay, social life centers around EL ASADO, a type of cookout.
This is a colloquial expression, as ASAR the Spanish verb, means to roast ...

At these wineries, The Chileños are "purists" where beef is concerned.

The Chileños prepare as follows:

coarse sea salt
black pepper freshly ground
a 2 Inch thick, 1.5 pound slab of fresh steak

*** Preheat gas oven grill or charcoal grill over moderate heat, both sides for rare: 7 to 8 minutes per side and 10 mins. per side for medium rare.

Have a nice evening, :yum: ;)
Margi Cintrano.

At my friend Tomás house we would eat it right off the grill. No plates just cut off a slice and eat. We did use glasses for the Vino Chileno.

(this is slightly off topic but still on the marinade)

I'm gonna get some steaks today or day after, but i did cook some short ribs last night, wasnt that good. The seasoning was too strong and salty. I wanted it done medium rare but since the cuts are really thick, I'd have to overcook the outer layer, so the inside was too raw.

Also read a few things that short ribs should be marinated for a long time and cooked longer. I presume thats if you dont cut them in half lengthwise. So that's what I'm gonna do today (if they thaw in time). Cut them in half lengthwise, make the marinate with less spices/sauces, leave it in the fridge for an hour or so, then i'll see if they cook right and give me the foodgasms that I want my homecooked beef to have.

I'm gonna google short ribs more today to see if I find something useful.

(this is slightly off topic but still on the marinade)

I'm gonna get some steaks today or day after, but i did cook some short ribs last night, wasnt that good. The seasoning was too strong and salty. I wanted it done medium rare but since the cuts are really thick, I'd have to overcook the outer layer, so the inside was too raw.

Also read a few things that short ribs should be marinated for a long time and cooked longer. I presume thats if you dont cut them in half lengthwise. So that's what I'm gonna do today (if they thaw in time). Cut them in half lengthwise, make the marinate with less spices/sauces, leave it in the fridge for an hour or so, then i'll see if they cook right and give me the foodgasms that I want my homecooked beef to have.

I'm gonna google short ribs more today to see if I find something useful.

Short ribs ae meant for braising. They have plenty of flavor and retain it even though they are cooked in liquid.

alrite i just ate the best steak i ever made! marinated it for 30 min, cooked it for about 10 minutes, and it gave me the foodgasms that i always wanted from my own home cooked meat. didnt even use any sauce after i cooked it, thats how good it was. thx for the help yall, i added a nice weapon in my recipe arsenal :D

Back
Top Bottom