Love for coconut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

admitted_glutton

Assistant Cook
I'm so glad there's a pig emoticon on this site, because that's what I am when it comes to coconuts: :pig:
How many of us have done damage to our property by trying to open a coconut? I remember when I was a kid, my friend and I nearly destroyed his dad's work-table! Fun times... anybody have some funny coconut stories to share? I'm new here, but didn't find anything written about coconuts, recently at least. Anybody have some tips for making coconut milk?
I found an article online about opening coconuts -- pretty fun stuff! Could be useful for people, too: How To Open a Coconut.

Welcome to DC! Here's something basic on coconut milk vs juice... I'm not sure if you're trying to open a young coconut or a mature one.

admitted_glutton said:
I'm so glad there's a pig emoticon on this site, because that's what I am when it comes to coconuts: :pig:
How many of us have done damage to our property by trying to open a coconut? I remember when I was a kid, my friend and I nearly destroyed his dad's work-table! Fun times...

img_325875_0_37ecfb29863bfffc512626e4cc4377d7.gif
Welcome admitted_glutton!
ROFL!
I have a recipe for coconut cream pie that makes me feel like a :pig: ...
It is downright sinful. If you'd like the recipe lemme know...
DC is alot of fun, and glad your here.

thanks for the replies, you two!

Hi there -- I would absolutely love that coconut cream pie recipe, Texas Tamale! Would you share it? If so, you're one of those rare generous souls who doesn't keep their prized recipes secret. My mom won't even tell me how she does her Italian beef sandwiches...

Hey Chopstix, thanks for the info! So young coconuts are best for making milk? I've never tried to open one of those... Would that be easier than opening a mature one?

admitted_glutton said:
Hey Chopstix, thanks for the info! So young coconuts are best for making milk? I've never tried to open one of those... Would that be easier than opening a mature one?

Glutton, I need to clarify:

Young coconut = young soft transluscent flesh and sweet coconut juice. Mix the flesh with the juice to make it creamier. This is very refreshing to drink, especially when cold.

Mature coconut = hard thick white meat and juice is not drinkable but meat can be turned into coconut milk/cream by grating it up and steeping in hot water before wringing milk out.

I think you're talking about opening young coconut and drinking the coconut juice. (Coconut milk is not for drinking but cooking).

I love coconuts and grew up eating them in various forms - Soft coconut cream and water from young green coconuts, chewing coconut peices from older drier coconuts. Also eating sliced super dry coconuts (called Kopra in India) which tasted more like candy then like coconut.

I use coconuts to make curry - shrimp and chicken. I also use it as a cooking base for basmati rice. I add veggies and aromatics to the rice and then add coconut milk and chicken stock and cook the rice in it.

I make soups with corn and coconut with fresh lime juice, cilantro, birds eye chilli and green onion which is silky smooth and delish especially in the cold Chicago winters.

The other thing that is my absolute favorite and I have shared before on this site is a coconut corrainder chutney that is very popular in India.

1 cup of coconut (cut into chunks)
2 bunches of cilantro (washed and roughly chopped)
3 cloves of garlic
juice of 2 limes
salt to taste
2 jalapeno peppers

Throw it all in a blender and blend until smooth (add very little water if any). Store in an airtight container in the fridge. We eat this as a dipping sauce with appetizers we make or as a topping on a peice of pan fried or grilled fish.

I also have shared a recipe for a coconut barfi that I make with grated coconut, ricotta cheese, condensed milk, sugar, milk powder, butter and cardamom. It's all cooked down until all liquid evaporates. You then pour it in a pyrex pan, let it set, cut into peices and serve. Its like a rich coconut fudge.

I hear all the time how bad coconut is for you but hey I love it and use it and have never had a cholestrol problem yet from consuming loads of it :)

Yes, Yakuta shared that chutney recipe with me, too, I can attest it is wonderful!! I tossed the chutney with couscous, and served with grilled chicken. It goes perfectly with grilled swordfish, too!!:)

I also just found out the other day that you can substitute milk for coconut milk to make a batch of custard. It gives a wonderful flavour and texture!! That would enhance your dessert making immensely, too:)

My partner Cristiano mastered the art of splitting the coconut shells perfectly in half using one of his DIY toys, um, a saw that is designed specifically for some delicate work, now after emptying the content, we make cute ice cream dishes with them!!

img_327701_0_2e1b8e5f02a71abcbd9ff3b13c919548.jpg

The only time that I tasted coconut was in Hawaii in one of those flavorful drinks.

I would be interested in finding out how you open a coconut.

Jill and Jolie

Wow, great info

This forum rocks -- so much useful information! Thanks everyone. My coworker thinks I'm nuts for getting so worked up about coconuts... some people just don't understand...

admitted_glutton said:
This forum rocks -- so much useful information! Thanks everyone. My coworker thinks I'm nuts for getting so worked up about coconuts... some people just don't understand...

I love coconut too. There's a wonderful drink served here called a "Cocada" - basically fresh coconut blended with water, ice, sugar and a little cinnamon. We use the green coconuts for this, but you could do it with the mature ones.

Then there's coconut rice; Coconut Chicken; Coconut Preserve ( with raw cane sugar) ; green beans stirfried with coconut and hot peppers;....

Shall I go on??:LOL:

Maybe I should have posted my request here. I love coconut too and looking for a Filipino dessert that's made with sweet coconut milk and cornstarch. At least these two ingredients is what I can taste. Anyone have an idea of the recipe?

img_329236_0_577cb92ca29fdbd59e9e9b1ce5192672.gif
Coco-Loco Coconut Cream Pie

1 8oz cream cheese
1 can Coco-Loco
1 3.4 oz box Cheesecake Jell-O Instant pudding
1 12 oz cool whip tub
1 12 oz bag of coconut
1 deep dish ready made graham cracker crust

In large bowl, whip cream cheese, coco-loco, and pudding mix. (until well combined)
Fold in half the cool whip, and half the bag of coconut.
Pour into pie shell and pat down firm.
Pour the rest of cool whip on top of Pie, and make "peeks".
sprinkle 3/4 cup of "toasted coconut" on top.
chill until firm. (I do overnite)

This Pie is very rich as you can see! but oh so darn good!
My Sister gave me this recipe, and it is a holiday favorite.
I hope you like it as well!
img_329236_1_c123987ba0ce0b8d37291f740fd5cd7a.gif

Thanks for posting the coconut pie. It sounds deadly, but I will certainly make it. Coconut - my favorite, well at least one of them.

Back
Top Bottom