"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pretzel Bread

OMG...My friend just dropped off a loaf of Pretzel bread from the farmers market since she knew I was talking about making pretzel/buns/rolls for a brat burger thing I've been making. I take the bratwurst out of the casing and form into patties served with kraut, Koops deli mustard, swiss cheese, etc. The Pretzel bread was amazing. I have researched the topic and it seems like the pro's all use Lye vs. baking soda. Apparently, the Germans insist that Lye is vital to give the pretzels their slightly crunchy exterior with the soft inside. I'm not afraid of using a weak solution of Lye so I'll report back when I make these. I believe using Malt extract dried or syrup is truly authentic as well, vs. using brown sugar. Any thoughts? I'm just so inspired after eating this bread. I just put proscuitto on it with mustard. Unreal. BTW...my spelling is horrible. See ya' Jack

Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Wow. I have never heard of pretzel bread! I hope it turns out well for you. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Old 07-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never had a loaf of pretzel bread, but serving a sandwich on a large pretzel used to be a nice novelty when I was younger. All I can remember is you had to get them at a bakery. Grocery stores did not have them. It may have even been one of the German bakeries that are no longer around. They were great when boating because they held up to a little wetness.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

pretzels

Basically, the dough one would make soft pretzels with is the same for the rolls, baguettes, and buns. It's really all a matter of how you portion the dough and shape it. Also, rise times would be a factor for something like a soft pretzel baguette vs. a soft pretzel. I would do the pretzel baguette much like making french bread with a few rises and punch-downs and hanging the rising dough over the counter in a kitchen towel sling held by a few heavy plum tomato cans on the counter. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? (btw...I live in my own little world at times.) Nice place to visit but I woudn't want to live there? Haha....Anyway...I will post pictures when I get this pretzel thing going. Someone dropped offf red potato's for me to make German Potato salad today. I cook for all my friends moms and dads....My older neighbors too. It's fun cuz' they request certain dishes and I get to play around with recipes. I always try to go pretty much authentic and later adjust to my tastes as well as my friends. I have to post my coleslaw recipe. I put chopped dill pickles in it and it rocks. Anyway, my ADD just kicked in. Gotta run. J
Old 07-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

I've eye-balled recipes to pretzel bread a few times but have yet to tackle it. Please let us know which recipe you use and what the results are!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I've make "pretzel" Kaiser rolls for burgers...yum! I use a pretzel salt, but I've also used coarse sea salt with a pinch of the white truffle salt I got in Chicago at the Spice Shop/House. Yummy!
Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Be careful. Sodium hydroxide can be quite corrosive.

Personal Protective Equipment
Eyes: Wear chemical splash goggles and face shield.
Skin: Wear gloves, apron, and/or clothing made of butyl rubber, nitrile rubber,
and/or polyethylene.
Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Respirator: A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134
and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed
whenever workplace conditions warrant respirator use.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Sous Chef

horse pucky.

a good bread dough, add a double dose of diastatic malt, two teaspoon lye in a big pot.
no, not Draino lye - food grade stuff. not sold in 7-11.

a moon suit is not required.

a baking soda wash is a semi-acceptable alternative - pretzel salt is a highly nice touch - it's the puffed rice version of sea salt.

crystalline lye _must_ be stored carefully - especially if children or dummies are involved.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Head Chef

^^ +1 to you for advocating common sense

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Executive Chef

High concentrations of lye can cause blindness and highly debilitating lung damage. Read the MSDS. Why else do you think the international symbol for this substance is a melted / eaten away glove?

Tags
bread