"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam111 View Post
Ok I will try that , that was what my problem was probably.

As for the pre-mixed jell O pudding boxes you buy at the grocery store and add cold milk (that's it ). how do they get there pudding to be made so easilly I see no major ingredients other then cornstarch and sugar ( leaving off the chemical / non-natural ingredients ) .

Maybe it is non-natural ingredients the Pyrophosphate and mono/diglycerides added in addition that make the consistence. Then the question becomes why do you need the cornstarch in the first place and how safe are these non-organic / non-natural additive products for human consumption.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that all of that stuff is "non-natural.". Diglycerides are used as emulsifiers and can come from cows or soybeans.

On line it says that jello fat free instant pudding has sodium alginate in it which would help it set up. It's made from seaweed. It's also organic, as it contains carbon.

That said, you'd probably enjoy a nice custard rather than a mouthful of shiny over thickened gravy.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
Cook

Well I am not talking about chemistry organic (because it has carbon atoms in it ) but organic from the FDA in harvesting or creating a product i.e it doesn't go thru any unnatural processing that a human him self couldn't do without the machinery /chemicals the food industries usually uses.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Ok I will try that , that was what my problem was probably.

As for the pre-mixed jell O pudding boxes you buy at the grocery store and add cold milk (that's it ). how do they get there pudding to be made so easilly I see no major ingredients other then cornstarch and sugar ( leaving off the chemical / non-natural ingredients ) .

Maybe it is non-natural ingredients the Pyrophosphate and mono/diglycerides added in addition that make the consistence. Then the question becomes why do you need the cornstarch in the first place and how safe are these non-organic / non-natural additive products for human consumption.

On the packet of one of those jell O boxes it say's packet will not set if soy milk is used. (why is that , is there something with cornstarch and a certain type of milk it goes with.... and if so what type of milks can you uses /which shouldn't you uses?
We have been taught by advertisers and bad press to be fearful of chemicals. As an example, and one that we've brought up here on DC recently, there was a hoax where a group of college students set up a website warning everyone about a substance called Dihydrogen Oxide. It listed a host of dangers such as: Inhalation of dihydrogen oxide can be fatal, and a host of similar claims. It was listed as a major componant of most foods, and that is was so widely used, it has been found in some quantity in every conceivable place in the world. The funny thing is that dihydrogen oxide is a another chemical name for water. Every natural element, and compound has a chemical name. Indeed, chemicals are what the universe is made up of.

To many, organic means that no tampering was done with a naturally growing life form, be it animal or vegetable. No pesticides or man-made fertilizers are to be used in "organic" foods. In the world of science, organic means - carbon based. We are organic life as we are a carbon based life form. In fact, every life form on our planet that I can think of is organic.

So, there are indeed dangerous chemicals. But there are a myriad of chemicals that are essential to our well being, that we can't live without. I know that Wikipedia isn't the best source of info. But this particular entry appears to be well researched, with documented sources - Phytochemical - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

It gives the scientific names of various phytochemicals, and how they may help our heath.

Don't be afraid of chemicals. Literally, you can't get away from them. Do understand what chemicals you are using, and that there are indeed unscrupulous people that will misuse chemicals to make short-term profit.

The key is to study as much as you can, about as much of the world as you can. Knowledge is good.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

aspirin seems to run that fine line between good and bad.

it's benefits were initially discovered as a derivative or extract (not sure, too lazy to google, but point made) from a natural source, willow bark.
but now it's made from chemical proceses based on petroleum products.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
Master Chef

I completely agree that man-made just isn't as good as made by nature, or a higher power, whichever you believe. Our ability to reason, to explore, and to figure things out is our strength, and our weakness.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
Cook

ok what about if one wants to make pudding , stuffing , or gravy
without cornstarch. I.E just flour how much flour to the cornstarch 3 tsp is equivalent ...

Or more generally what is the approximate formula for flour = how much cornstarch equivalent.

And is there way to make pudding , stuffing , gravy without flour or cornstarch?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
ok what about if one wants to make pudding , stuffing , or gravy
without cornstarch. I.E just flour how much flour to the cornstarch 3 tsp is equivalent ...

Or more generally what is the approximate formula for flour = how much cornstarch equivalent.

And is there way to make pudding , stuffing , gravy without flour or cornstarch?
Gravy, or more correctly, sauces can be made by boiling stock to concentrate it. Usually, carrots, celery, onions, and other aromatics are usually added to both flavor and thicken the sauce. If concentrated far enough, the sauce will thicken. A roux is usually made from equal parts flour and fat (vegetable oil, melted meat fat, etc.), and then added to the sauce. It thickens the sauce wonderfully, producing a rich, smooth sauce with great flavor.

I would imagine that you could thicken a flavored dairy sauce, such as milk, vanilla, and sugar with a roux. Egg yolks are used to make custards, lemon curds, pastry creams, and panacota.

This should give you some ideas. Do a quick google search and you will find more recipes than you know what to do with.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 05-04-2013, 01:17 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

I love this place.... Sauces! Someone used the word sauce!!! I live in a town that looks at me like a nut if call it a sauce. :0)
Old 05-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
Master Chef

Panna cotta is thickens with gelatine not eggs.

I spose Sam could consider that alternative too.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Panna cotta is thickens with gelatine not eggs.

I spose Sam could consider that alternative too.
You are so right. I can't believe that I made that mistake.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Tags
pudding, stuffing