Roasted Corn Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
We had a fun family outing yesterday to a 200-year-old water-powered stone grist mill. In addition to the fun and knowledge, we brought home some spoils. I bought some buckwheat flour and some roasted corn meal. I've got lots of ideas for the buckwheat, and we got a recipe for lemon-cornmeal cookies from the mill. Of course we made cornbread tonight, and it was wonderful, the rich nuttiness and oh the smell!

Does anyone have any favorite use for roasted cornmeal? I'd be happy to use it up in cookies and cornbread, but I wouldn't want to miss out on an opportunity if someone has a favorite dish they can recommend. Besides, I have a feeling we'll be making the 20-minute drive from time to time to pick up more. :)

Also, as the mill uses no preservatives, they recommend at least refrigerating their products. I may keep them in the freezer since it may take me a while to use them up. Is it necessary to bring flour/meal to room temperature before using it? I've always kept mine in the pantry so I don't know...

We had a fun family outing yesterday to a 200-year-old water-powered stone grist mill. In addition to the fun and knowledge, we brought home some spoils. I bought some buckwheat flour and some roasted corn meal. I've got lots of ideas for the buckwheat, and we got a recipe for lemon-cornmeal cookies from the mill. Of course we made cornbread tonight, and it was wonderful, the rich nuttiness and oh the smell!

Does anyone have any favorite use for roasted cornmeal? I'd be happy to use it up in cookies and cornbread, but I wouldn't want to miss out on an opportunity if someone has a favorite dish they can recommend. Besides, I have a feeling we'll be making the 20-minute drive from time to time to pick up more. :)

Also, as the mill uses no preservatives, they recommend at least refrigerating their products. I may keep them in the freezer since it may take me a while to use them up. Is it necessary to bring flour/meal to room temperature before using it? I've always kept mine in the pantry so I don't know...

You gotta try polenta with that fresh meal!! I can smell it through the screen...yum!:pig:

I keep my abundance of buckwheat flour in the freezer, double bagged and wrapped in freezer paper.

I put my flour in the freezer the day before when I want to make pie crust. I also keep flour in the freezer if I'm not going to use it anytime soon (or if I have room in the freezer--no concern that bugs will get in it--and I always find room for Masa Harina in the freezer--it seems more prong to bugs). I typically do let it warm up if I'm using it for bread. I don't for cookies, etc. I haven't noticed a difference. The only reason I let it warm up for bread is because of the yeast. I use the masa straight out of the freezer for corn tortillas.

I also used to keep fleece in the freezer for the same reason--to keep bugs from getting in it. That I would let warm up if I wanted to spin in the grease or before carding. Merino I'd wash before spinning (another use for a crock pot <g>).

Last edited:
Polenta Recipes

I love the cheesy polenta and mushroom casserole, it's more than just a polenta, but the first link takes you to basic polenta on the second page. I learned to make cheese polenta first...I followed a cheesy grits recipe.

You can make tamale pie and top it it with cornbread...I like to make mole tamale pie...do they roast the corn before it is milled or after?

Hi :) I freeze my corn meal to keep weevils away and I just take it out about 30 mins before cooking to prevent lumps.

We also make a dish called pap tert in SA with corn meal..
Just cook your corn meal to the consistency of polenta (so that it sets when cool).
Fry some bacon till crisp, some mushrooms and tomato and onion relish.
Layer corn meal with bacon, mushroom and tomato and onion relish in a lasagna dish, top with cheese and bake for 30mins till golden on top. Eat as a side for a BBQ or as is with salad on the side.

Back
Top Bottom