"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Typical american food?

I don't know if this thread should be in the ethnic forum (what counts as ethnic food? xD), but I post it here...
I wonder what is typical american food (from the US. that is), and if perhaps you can help me with some recipes?

Frida

Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've never been able to answer that because I think that we eat such a wide varity of different foods.

If you tell us what kinds of recipes your looking for we'd be glad to post some for you!!

Welcome to the site !!

Old 11-02-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Oh well, that complicates things.. I was afraid I'd get that answer. Guess I'll just have to do some research now then, and get back later. :P
Old 11-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Sorry!!

How about... soup! Here's my favorite.

Shaffer style clam chowder

Description:
Add some nice French bread and a green salad and you've got a wonderful dinner! Use small bowls so you can have seconds! As with most soups this is better the next day!

Ingredients:

3 10 oz cans chopped clams
1 lb bacon
3 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme (some times I use parsley instead)
2 cups half and half
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Open canned clams reserving all juice
set aside

cut up bacon, removing a lot of the extra fat
in large sauce pan cook bacon until crisp. Keeping the bacon and the grease in the pan
add potatoes, clam juice, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, onions, pepper,bouillon cubes.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about ten minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Combind milk, cream and flour till smooth. Add to potatoe mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in Clams. Return to boiling reduce heat. Cook for a few minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste.

If soup is too thick add more milk or cream
if soup is too thin add more flour mixing with milk or cream first!

We add a tablespoon of butter to each bowl when serving ( not at all good for you
but it tastes great!!!)

or

This one for STUFFED TOMATOES

Lamb stuffed tomatoes

Description:

Ingredients:

First make up a batch of your favorite parmesan mashed potatoes and set aside. I added cheese, butter, salt,pepper, parsley and milk to mine.

1 pound ground ground lamb ( can use beef but lamb is better)
chopped garlic. ( amount is up to you I used 5 cloves but we LOVE garlic.)
1 small chopped onion
olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup garlic bread crumbs
4 large tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
put a tablespoon of olive oil in your frying pan and add onions and garlic
cook until soft.

Add lamb and cook until no longer pink.

Add Salt and pepper to taste.

Mix bread crumbs and parmesan cheese together. You can add Oregano, parsley, garlic, onion powder and or any other spices that you like also.

Cut the tops off of your tomatoes and remove the seeds.

Fill the bottom half of the tomato with mashed potatoes
Fill the top half with the meat mixture
Top with the bread crumbs

Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Number Of Servings:

Preparation Time:

OR

Here's another good one that I really like and make all the time

Beef stroganoff

Description:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 - 2 pounds stew meat ( sometimes I use round steak or hamburger)
2 tablespoons butter ( I use three)
1 1/2 cups beef broth
3 tablespoons catsup ( I some times us tomato paste instead)
1 small clove garlic minced ( I use three or four nice size cloves)
1 teaspoon salt
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion choped ( I slice mine and use a large onion)

3 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
3-4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
Brown meat in the butter.
Stir all but 1/3 cup of the beef broth in with the beef. Set the 1/3 cup to the side. ( I also add the garlic and about 1/2 cup of the onion now and the Worcestershire sauce now) Heat to boiling and then reduce heat, cover and simmer until the meat is nice and tender about 90 minutes.

Stir in mushrooms and onions.
Cover and simmer until onions are soft.
Shake reserved broth and the flour in a tightly covered jar.
Then slowly add it to the meat mixture. Heat to boiling. Sirring constantly. Cook for one more minute.

Reduce heat and stir in the sour cream.

Serve over rice or noodles.

I sometimes find that I have to add more beef broth.
The Worcestershire can me added, left out or doubled depending on your taste.

ENJOY!

Number Of Servings:

Preparation Time:
Old 11-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Fried chicken, Mac and Cheese, Hamburgers, BBQ, Chili...These are things I think of when thinking of American food.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
Head Chef

I remember I had a friend from Switzerland and she told me she ad just gotten back from the American store. When she told me this I laughed because it didnt make sense to me. I guess I took American food for granted. But my weekly food shopping outings included the Asian store, Spanish store, Vegetarian store, Indian store... so why not an American store somewhere else. I then asked, what do you buy in an American store. The only thing I remembered that she said was macaroni and cheese.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Sous Chef

when i think american food meatloaf pop into my head right away

then hot dogs, hamburgers, apple pie, anything with tomatos, corn and a few other things. ohh maybe a pot roast.

there is new american cusiine whcih you can do some research on. that might suit your fancy

I do hate to say it but this country is so diverse that its hard to find "american food"
Old 11-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Head Chef

Baked beans, potato salad, hot dogs, grilled cheese, anything bbq, Yankee pot roast, chicken and dumplings, chowder.

We had friends that visited from Sweden this summer. The four yr. old loved our "American" pancakes.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Beef stroganoff
Lamb stuffed tomatoes
I'd definitely question any kind of "stroganoff" as "American". Isn't it a strong component of Russian cuisine? As for Lamb-Stuffed Tomatoes - that's a recipe from New Zealand. Don't get me wrong - both look like fabulous recipes, but I wouldn't consider either one as the "typical American food" the OP is looking for.

For me, I'd be thinking of boiled or steamed lobster with lemon butter, steamed hard-shell or sauteed soft-shell blue-claw crabs, Maryland crab cakes, fried flounder &/or catfish, Southern-fried chicken, hot dogs &/or burgers with all their "fixins", pot roast with all the usual accompanying veggies, macaroni & cheese, meatloaf, plain grilled meats (like steak, lamb, pork), barbecued/grilled spare ribs, clam &/or fish chowders - I could go on & on & on without even touching the good old "melting pot" of dishes with truly ethnic orgins.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:10 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Thats a tough question since all Americans came from another country with the exception of the Native Americans. We have so many different cultures that have contributed to American cuisine although usually not always exact but a version of. It's not quite like a European country since we have so many people from foreign countries that have contributed for so many years. Which is why America has been described as the melting pot of cultures. Oh and where are you from Frida? If we know that, we may be able to tell you what we have different here than what you have in your country.