Why are triglycerides listed as an ingredient in some foods/drinks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did indeed use white flour for the hamburger buns Taxy. But that was a very rare event. Mostly I use multiseed/multigrain bread (not home made). I very rarely eat cakes, biscuits or chocolates and my favourite snacks are nuts of all varieties. I'm not against oats at all, just that if it's not that beneficial, I can stop eating something in a form I don't enjoy!
I add oats to my banana pancakes. I use egg and buttermilk in there too so it adds some nutrients and I love adding some grass fed butter on top, so yeah, it's got added fat but it tastes so good! I also use a mix of honey and real maple syrup. I add the oats to make myself feel a little better about eating them, LOL. But they are delicious!

Last edited:
I like oatmeal once in a while. I like oats even better in homemade muesli. I don't add any sugar to my muesli, just some dried fruit.

Free will indeed blissful - I agree.

My mother was a very poor cook and I had a poor diet as a child. I was medically underweight as a result. By age 10 I was already starting to make some food for myself. When I went to secondary school and started to learn about nutrition, I basically improved my own diet.

Cooking your own food (in the main), does seem to make people think about what they are putting in their bodies. Ready-made and fast food (and the many extra "ingredients" put in to preserve or enhance appearance) do not seem to lead to healthy diets.

However, in Britain I know that cookery is not now a regular part of the curriculum and I think this is a huge mistake.

Hi Pictonguy.

Regarding your final paragraph - I don't enjoy porridge, but I have it every so often as it is supposed to be so healthy - usually with some flaked almonds and some homemade rosehip syrup to make it palatable. I eat a pretty balanced diet generally and cook most things myself. (I eat plenty of nuts and seeds and don't have a sweet tooth, so direct sugar intake is not too bad.)

Are you saying I needn't bother eating porridge as it won't make any difference really? I would happily stop eating porridge!
First let me say that I wouldn't be eating something I didn't enjoy.

Modern nutrition is based on what is referred to as reductive science which is based on the paradigm that focuses on the nutrient composition of a food rather than on the food itself. That's created a lot of confusion. Let me just say there's no single food that will make you healthy, so therefore, there's no single food that will make you less healthy.

Oatmeal contains many vitamins and minerals and other compounds that would be considered healthy. If your health status is good, then no worries but if a person has underlying issues where adding a carb load to an already carb heavy diet where a person has diabetes or insulin resistant then it's probably not the food that person wants to be consuming. Like I said it's really about context and dosage. A lot of people get really invested in their own belief system and are unable to investigate anything that is in conflict to that way of thinking, it's like religion for some. Keep in mind every time we read an editorial is just an opinion and not science, science is in the labs of PhD's and they conduct actual randomized controlled trials and most, not all are there for one thing that that is truth, which is not very sexy and doesn't sell as well as a headline and you don't find them in main stream media at all. Bottom line, there's nothing wrong with oatmeal, just a lot wrong in many peoples health.

Last edited:
I think part of the reason that oatmeal is touted as such a healthy food is that it's a relatively acceptable wholegrain substitute for something with less fibre and other benefits.

Thank you for the clarification Pictonguy - that is what I thought you meant!

So back to what I said earlier - the key to general good health in nutrition - is balance and variety? (Unless you have some specific health condition that precludes some types of food.)

Oh, and my porridge consumption is about to reduce!

Last edited:
I think part of the reason that oatmeal is touted as such a healthy food is that it's a relatively acceptable wholegrain substitute for something with less fibre and other benefits.
Absolutely Taxy. If your standard breakfast is a doughnut, or a sugar-laden cereal, or a pile of greasy bacon, then a switch to oatmeal (apart from being a horrible shock) is a healthy one. If your diet is pretty reasonable, you don't need to force yourself to eat horrible porridge! (y) :)

triglycerides aren't listed as an ingredient, they're listed as part of the nutritional information, along with fat, cholesterol, carbohydrates, etc.

Except on the food nutrition label it listed triglyerides as an ingredient! See above the picture of the nutrition label in the first few posts. I thought the same thing but this is an exception.

Oh come on, we love oatmeal, we eat it with blueberries, top it off with ground flax and chia, add some cinnamon, with or without honey. We use thick cut oats (more texture), and also oat groats (whole) and steel cut oats, and oat flour.
We have it with carrot slaw (carrot apple pineapple), or raisins, raspberries, apple sauce, pear sauce, dried cherries, peach puree, or it can be made into a savory dish. A soft crust for a chocolate pie, the crust on a frozen dessert, a thickener in a sauce, to make granola with fruit sauces, oat-fruit cookies/biscuits, add it to bread, use it in black bean brownies. We use it for all these things.
I like it (or rolled 9 grains) fermented for 24 hours, my hubs likes his hot made from dry, you can make it as overnight oats where it soaks overnight in the fridge. Groats and steel cut can be made on the stove or in the IP, or as a baked casserole. Groats can be eaten like brown rice.
We eat oats every day, at least once a day in some form. We buy them in 50 lb bags--thick cut not the instant oats. They are available as organic or not from Azure Standard-instead of lugging some home every week from the grocery store.

Nice post Kathleen. Are you in the medical field, just curious.

I'm not in the medical field. My background is genetics with heavy emphasis on chemistry and physics. I left research a while back to go into education. However, my mother who was part-momma and part-witchdoctor, regularly combined natural remedies with medical ones and I spent a good amount of time trying to show her that she was poisoning us - which she was not. :) In fact, it is rather scary on her accuracy with somethings.

The other point I want to make is on your comment "studies have shown the daily oatmeal whether it is overnight oats or regular oatmeal can help get your numbers moving in the right direction as well as help with cholesterol."

All of these studies are epidemiological, so basically observational, which is fine if it generates more studies or conversation but to make health claims is probably not really warranted.
Actually there are many studies that go well-beyond trying to identify relationships between factors. For example, a recent study indicates that the breakdown of whole oats fiber (soluable) in the gut becomes very gummy/sticky in the intestines. There, it is thought that it attaches to some types (specifically LDL aka low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol keeping your body from absorbing it. So it then passes through your body attached to the fiber as waste. Another study indicates that eating oatmeal regularly lowers the LDL as well as many pharmaceuticals. And yet one more shows that it provides much prebiotic benefits that contribute to gut health.

Now this being said, I am cautious of any research dealing with nutrition as directives from it is generally at least 10 years out of date. Ah well. Pass the butter, please. :LOL: Plus, trading studies becomes very like a game of "war" where each player lays down their research card and aces trump. One of the reasons that I left research - the reluctance of communal information sharing. I do support where I am shown how things are to work. For example, seeing the molecular make up on the fiber and how it can cling onto the LDL CHOL is powerful for me as I can easily see it and understand why it works whereas the HDL (high density lipoproteins) would be left alone.

This is where sometimes it is better not to dive into science too deep.

You would think I had learned my lesson by now, huh? ;)

Follow whatever examples you want to. It's your health. Be empowered to take charge of your health. You have free will.

People live their lives by following examples, that is one of the reasons families have similar disease rates. They eat and cook what their parents ate and cooked. Genetics is one factor but environment (eating and cooking like your parents) pulls the trigger on disease for a majority of common diseases.

I agree with you 100%, Blissful. Everyone should take ownership of his/her health and be an equal partner with his/her medical providers. We are complex creatures and one-size (remedy) does not fit all.

First let me say that I wouldn't be eating something I didn't enjoy.

Modern nutrition is based on what is referred to as reductive science which is based on the paradigm that focuses on the nutrient composition of a food rather than on the food itself. That's created a lot of confusion. Let me just say there's no single food that will make you healthy, so therefore, there's no single food that will make you less healthy.

Oatmeal contains many vitamins and minerals and other compounds that would be considered healthy. If your health status is good, then no worries but if a person has underlying issues where adding a carb load to an already carb heavy diet where a person has diabetes or insulin resistant then it's probably not the food that person wants to be consuming. Like I said it's really about context and dosage. A lot of people get really invested in their own belief system and are unable to investigate anything that is in conflict to that way of thinking, it's like religion for some. Keep in mind every time we read an editorial is just an opinion and not science, science is in the labs of PhD's and they conduct actual randomized controlled trials and most, not all are there for one thing that that is truth, which is not very sexy and doesn't sell as well as a headline and you don't find them in main stream media at all. Bottom line, there's nothing wrong with oatmeal, just a lot wrong in many peoples health.
I don't believe my little tutorial on what triglycerides are and do indicates that I have any sort of a belief system or religious mandates about healthy practices. Oatmeal was simply an example of something that might benefit people needing to reduce triglycerides. The post was in response to the OP who wrote:

"What role do triglycerides play in food science? I know in the blood one doesn't want high triglycerides made from sugars, but what are straight up triglycerides used for as a listed ingredient?"

@dragnlaw I like my oatmeal too.

Actually there are many studies that go well-beyond trying to identify relationships between factors. For example, a recent study indicates that the breakdown of whole oats fiber (soluable) in the gut becomes very gummy/sticky in the intestines. There, it is thought that it attaches to some types (specifically LDL aka low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol keeping your body from absorbing it. So it then passes through your body attached to the fiber as waste. Another study indicates that eating oatmeal regularly lowers the LDL as well as many pharmaceuticals. And yet one more shows that it provides much prebiotic benefits that contribute to gut health.

Now this being said, I am cautious of any research dealing with nutrition as directives from it is generally at least 10 years out of date. Ah well. Pass the butter, please. :LOL: Plus, trading studies becomes very like a game of "war" where each player lays down their research card and aces trump. One of the reasons that I left research - the reluctance of communal information sharing. I do support where I am shown how things are to work. For example, seeing the molecular make up on the fiber and how it can cling onto the LDL CHOL is powerful for me as I can easily see it and understand why it works whereas the HDL (high density lipoproteins) would be left alone.

You would think I had learned my lesson by now, huh? ;)

I agree with you 100%, Blissful. Everyone should take ownership of his/her health and be an equal partner with his/her medical providers. We are complex creatures and one-size (remedy) does not fit all.

I don't believe my little tutorial on what triglycerides are and do indicates that I have any sort of a belief system or religious mandates about healthy practices. Oatmeal was simply an example of something that might benefit people needing to reduce triglycerides. The post was in response to the OP who wrote:

"What role do triglycerides play in food science? I know in the blood one doesn't want high triglycerides made from sugars, but what are straight up triglycerides used for as a listed ingredient?"

@dragnlaw I like my oatmeal too.
Yeah, my comment had nothing to do with your post. It was to indicate that ideologies are easily formed when the science is more about who's science is better which observational data can easily be used and manipulated for such purposes.

I'm also a proponent of holistic medicine where body and mind are intrinsically linked and everyone should be their own n:1, so yeah everyone should do their own research and be responsible for their own health. I decided through my own research to consume a low carb/ketogenic diet over a decade ago because of certain health issues that were resolved and one being elevated triglycerides in and around 200 and now they're in the 40's, my blood sugar is never elevated past 120 and my blood sugar numbers went from 5.6 down to 4.6 and have been there for a decade s well. I did get the expected comments that I'm going to die of heart disease though because of saturated fat and cholesterol and unfortunately many people still have that opinion.

I was under the impression that cholesterol doesn't exit through the digestion pathway and that cholesterol is recycled and disposed of by the liver to make bile which helps breakdown fats in the small intestines and when that's accomplished the excess bile and any excess cholesterol is excreted in our feces. I would be really interested if you can link a study about fiber removing LDL cholesterol from the intestines that's not associated with bile. :)

Last edited:
Sure, I am happy to continue this conversation in PMs as most here are likely already weary of this tangent. Keep in mind that food provides only about 20% of our cholesterols. The rest is made by our bodies by the liver and within the intestines. We associate cholesterol with the waxy, whitish yellow fat that coats our arteries, but it is also needed for building our cell's membranes and making some vitamins such as Vitamin D, and hormones like estrogen and testosterone, and even the bile acids that you mentioned above. Fatty liver comes from the overproduction and storing of said CHOL. Just as the liver makes and removes CHOL so do the intestines. Admittedly, I am a science geek, so if anyone else wants more information about this riveting topic, let me know!

Sure, I am happy to continue this conversation in PMs as most here are likely already weary of this tangent. Keep in mind that food provides only about 20% of our cholesterols. The rest is made by our bodies by the liver and within the intestines. We associate cholesterol with the waxy, whitish yellow fat that coats our arteries, but it is also needed for building our cell's membranes and making some vitamins such as Vitamin D, and hormones like estrogen and testosterone, and even the bile acids that you mentioned above. Fatty liver comes from the overproduction and storing of said CHOL. Just as the liver makes and removes CHOL so do the intestines. Admittedly, I am a science geek, so if anyone else wants more information about this riveting topic, let me know!
I'm interested. But I think it's relative to this thread.

Well....okay. Y'all asked for it. I took it to PMs because the topic was rapidly expanding. Here is part of what I sent to pictonguy. I'm not trying to hide it. But those here who know me also know what a geek I can be.

***** snip, snip ************
There is no one study. The Harvard medical group and the National Institute of Health are pumping out study after study on the studies of soluble fiber and LDL, and have been for years. Since 2019, many others have followed suit. Medical journals have been flooded with information in the past few years, so a simple search about soluble fiber, LDL and intestines will yield much for you to enjoy. It's not one study. It's many many may studies.

So there are two topics now, which is why I decided to go to PMs: Liver and its role in making/removing LDL and other fats is one. The other is the role of soluble fiber in the intestines. Both the liver and intestines will make LDL and other types of CHOL. When you mentioned the liver as opposed to the intestines removing items as waste, I thought I would send you this link as I found it awesome, and would welcome your thoughts. It even explains why people have those hefty fatty poos after huge fat/carb heavy meals.

******** snip, snip******

Yes. Hefty. Fatty. Poos.

As I said above: Y'all asked for it. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom