"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #31
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
Kirkland Brand toilet paper
We watched a show recently on CNBC about Costco and the testing they put in to the TP is amazing.

The show really was interesting, an inside view of how they do things and why they do certain things, like the 360 pill bottle of Advil.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #32
Sous Chef

I forgot to mention my fav costco items, cookbooks!

I bought 4 over the last few years: food of Spain by Claudia Rodan, a book on curries, and 2 from the food of series: Asia and the Mediterranean. Every time I browse the books.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #33
Master Chef

Kirkland branded toilet paper is good for home use. We use them.
For business we buy the Marathon branded toilet paper, also at Costco.

Kirkland branded paper plates rule our kitchen.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #34
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I bought a 22" hdtv at Costco but the big one (52") was purchased online at a great price and included some extras other places charged for. I've also bought a 46" Hitachi from Sam's Club. Another great deal.
I am glad you had a good experience buying without seeing! I was totally set on getting this one TV and when i finally saw in the store it was the worst picture of the bunch. I am not brave enough to try that again.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I am glad you had a good experience buying without seeing! I was totally set on getting this one TV and when i finally saw in the store it was the worst picture of the bunch. I am not brave enough to try that again.

I did a lot of research before buying the 52" TV. I found the Sony to be the highest rated so I shopped for the best price for that model number. That was 4 years ago and it's still going strong.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It's worth a trip to Costco just for their fabulous lamb chops. They are out of this world good and look like little Porterhouse Steaks.

I'm a fan of lamb leg chops, but I have to buy $55 for a whole leg and have them cut up (no room in freezer to store that many). Lamb leg center chops never show up on my grocers shelves anymore. I've noticed that the kind of lamb chop in your picture is what most major stores sell now. Can you tip me on how to cook them? They seem so thick. Do you broil or pan fry them or what? And btw, those from Costco look bigger than the tiny ones from Vons, Ralphs, or Albertsons, Safeway etc. The ones from those stores almost are appetizer size.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I did a lot of research before buying the 52" TV. I found the Sony to be the highest rated so I shopped for the best price for that model number. That was 4 years ago and it's still going strong.
Yes, my husband did/does the same thing. Does a LOT of online research before making any purchases online or in-store.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #38
Head Chef

I love their meat, good quality. I buy on a regular basis:

Fillet Steaks
Pork tenderloins (cheap as chips!)
Chicken thighs
Foil cooking trays
Disposable catering gloves (I dont mess up my manicured nails!)
Kitchen Roll
Salmon - frozen portions (very generous sizes)
Big chunky fresh tuna steaks
Chilean wine
Lindemans 65 wine

I used to get Martha Stewarts Living mag but they dont stock it any more, hard to get it here and I love Martha.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #39
Cook

There is also this 6 or 8 pak of Tilapia that I get once in awhile too. The fish holds up well to freezing, so I wrap them in 2s when I get home. I am not much of a fish eater, but this mild white fish is great for a nice blackened fish dish with fruit salsa.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I'm a fan of lamb leg chops, but I have to buy $55 for a whole leg and have them cut up (no room in freezer to store that many). Lamb leg center chops never show up on my grocers shelves anymore. I've noticed that the kind of lamb chop in your picture is what most major stores sell now. Can you tip me on how to cook them? They seem so thick. Do you broil or pan fry them or what? And btw, those from Costco look bigger than the tiny ones from Vons, Ralphs, or Albertsons, Safeway etc. The ones from those stores almost are appetizer size.
I pan fry them in my CI skillet Caslon. Because they are so thick, I brown them on all five sides in the skillet and finish the cooking for just a couple of minutes in a hot oven. We prefer our lamb quite pink so it doesn't take long.
You are so right......the lamb chops like these in our grocery are itty bitty, not like Costco's. We serve two per person, and with sides it's a wonderful dinner.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote