"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #21
Master Chef

I cast my vote with those who cannot choose. If I feel like one particular cuisine, you can offer me my favorite dishes in another and they aren't great, even if they are, if you know what I mean. Since our ethnic cuisines in my town are lacking, when I hit a good sized city, you can offer me the best Italian or steak-and-potatoes, or any other cuisine I can cook myself or get locally, and I'll respond with, NO! I want Thai/Indian/Vietnamese -- whatever. It doesn't mean I prefer those cuisines, just wanting what I can have on a day-to-day basis.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #22
Sous Chef

The day I think that one country's cuisine is superior to all is the day I hang up my apron for good. Variety, is, after all, the spice of life!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #23
Head Chef

I too cannot choose. For the past year or so, I've been playing around with Thai, so I have to note that France sailed further than India for the sake of food/spice. To Indonesia.

It's like music; food knows no boundaries. America, for the most part, embraces this melting pot, a new taste. Can I vote for Martian cuisine?
Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 AM   #24
Cook

greece, india, italy, korea, mexico......and more....
Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm firmly in the "I can't choose" category. However, if I was forced to choose just one it would be Italian.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #26
Master Chef

The U.S. has the best food in the world...we have variety, quantity, availability and quality. You can get anything you want and lots of it.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

I am just curious, for those that have answered the US, are you answering because of the wide variety you can find here (Asian, African, Caribbean, French, Italian, etc.) or because of the wide variety of things US centric such as fried chicken and hamburgers and other foods that are US foods?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I am just curious, for those that have answered the US, are you answering because of the wide variety you can find here (Asian, African, Caribbean, French, Italian, etc.) or because of the wide variety of things US centric such as fried chicken and hamburgers and other foods that are US foods?
Yes.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwethz View Post
hey charlie,
i agree with you on all but one point.im indian and i love my beef as much as texans do..:) indian food is not only about curries ,there;s much more to it..when and if you ever visit india,be my guest at our estate and i will introduce you to the essence of indian food.ciao
I was beeing sarcastic. I know what you saying.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Although the US is a great melting pot of cuisines, I personally cannot stand the form of the modern American cuisine. Vast majority of the food is sandwich based. Why can't we have some fast-food type establishments where I can go in with a plate, grab some mashed potatoes, green beans, some roasted pork chop, bowl of soup, etc...? Granted, there are sit-down restaurants and all-you-can-eat buffets, but these are beyond the point. I just want something quick and healthy which won't take half an hour to prepare, and where I don't have to feel like i need to stuff myself to make the meal a good value.