"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #61
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
So we need to stop and consider what truly makes American cuisine before we mention McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's as our examples.
Whether or not we (who live here) like it, fast food is what folks from other countries THINK is American cuisine. It is what we have exported to them!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #62
Assistant Cook

I agree and that is troubling. Sure some of those deep South dishes have high fat content but, I am sure that if other countries could get a taste of American cuisine they would revise the opinion that fast food is the only cuisine in this country.

I have noticed though that when you attend cooking school you learn French, Italian, Latin, Mediterranean, or German cooking. I guess since the world thinks fast food is the only type of food served in America that this is the reason budding chefs do not study American cuisine.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:17 AM   #63
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubos View Post
...I personally cannot stand the form of the modern American cuisine. Vast majority of the food is sandwich based....there are...all-you-can-eat buffets...I just want something quick and healthy which won't take half an hour to prepare, and where I don't have to feel like i need to stuff myself to make the meal a good value.
I take it when you say "modern American cuisine" you are focusing on a small category: buffets and fast food (there is so much more to modern American cuisine...like American Fusion for one). It's too bad that you have missed out on the best of the numerous HEALTHY American fast food establishments. They are not "sandwich-based" (although sandwiches are sometimes a choice). They have portion choices. They have healthy choices. They are fast and they are a good value. Here's a list of 10 for starters:

(this link is safe because I checked it out myself)
America’s Top 10 Healthiest Fast Food Restaurants - Healthy Living - Health.com
(once there, click on the page numbers to see all 10...not on the restaurant links)

By the way, "hot dogs and hamburgers are both based on traditional German dishes, brought over to America by German immigrants to the United States, but in their modern popular form they can be reasonably considered American dishes." ~wiki

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #64
Head Chef

Trying to answer this is kinda like finding the answer to that old chestnut, "how long is a piece of string".
All countries with extensive cuisines have wonderful things to eat, right along with the 'not so wonderful', but the brilliant thing is that there is a huge choice that should please any palate.
As I love food, it depends entirely on what kind of mood I'm in taste-wise before choosing the country du jour!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #65
Cook

In my opinion Thai food is the best.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
The best food I ever ate was in GREECE... that being said I love Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, and Persian is pretty darn GREAT too. I could never choose a favorite. They are all wonderful in different ways.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiTeaGal View Post
In my opinion Thai food is the best.

well i wouldn't say others aren't just as good. but i do love thai, and don't get to have it very often. only one in town and it is not so good. went to one in another town close by and it was so good.