"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 10-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
We like to wash, peel and quarter many of our potatoes before cooking. For quite some time (several years) many potatoes, particularly Dole brand, seem to have a fair amount of dark spots in their interiors.
Same here.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:09 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I dug some of my Norlands yesterday. They went right into the pot, no hardening off (once we dig all the spuds out of the ground, we will harden them off for storage). The Norlands were EXCELLENT (and the leftovers were great fried for breakfast with FRESH eggs). We didn't harden these because we only dug enough for eating. I do remember the yellow potatoes we'd boil in Germany...they were quite waxy--and very good. I think that potatoes that are "mealy" don't make as good of boiled potatoes. The Russian blues are not as good boiled as they are baked or fried. And, yes, I meant starch, not fat (but starch to me = fat <g>).

Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
Head Chef

I can see I need to explain a few things.
First, Russets are the least expensive potato, it fits into my budget, other kinds do not.
All you rich people, more power to you. If any of you want my 20 year old son for a few years--just to feed him, PM me.
Second, I don't like peeling potatoes, but, Bill and Charlie are invited to come over any day of the week to peel and quarter potatoes with me, it's always more fun to do with someone else helping!

I wonder if these boiling - exploding potatoes are the same as the baking - exploding potatoes. Too much moisture, healthy skin, recent harvest.
I'm afraid to bake them now (and I've got another 10 lbs after these are gone!). Testing testing.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
Head Chef

Bliss, I've had the same thing happen. Like you, I HATE peeling potatoes almost as much as I hate peeling apples for pie. I can't say I notice if I buy the freshly harvested ones, I tend to buy the Wisconsin grown ones. I wonder if they have more moisture so they get over saturated? Regardless, it makes it much harder to make potato salad because they get a little more soggy it seems. Are you just mashing them?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I can see I need to explain a few things.
First, Russets are the least expensive potato, it fits into my budget, other kinds do not.
All you rich people, more power to you. If any of you want my 20 year old son for a few years--just to feed him, PM me.
Second, I don't like peeling potatoes, but, Bill and Charlie are invited to come over any day of the week to peel and quarter potatoes with me, it's always more fun to do with someone else helping!

I wonder if these boiling - exploding potatoes are the same as the baking - exploding potatoes. Too much moisture, healthy skin, recent harvest.
I'm afraid to bake them now (and I've got another 10 lbs after these are gone!). Testing testing.
Thanks for the invite but I gotta stay home and sharpen my wife's potato peeler.
Tonight she cooked some whole new potatoes with the skins on for making a potato salad. They looked so good cooling unskinned in the colander that I'd just as well have eaten them that way but after skinning and slicing they did make a dandy salad with an onion, vinegar, oil and bouillon broth marinade.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:28 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Red potatoes are the way to go for potato salad. They hold their shape and have more flavor. I rarely peel them. It adds to the color of the dish and just seems more rustic.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Hmmm--I hate peeling potatoes as well--I blame it on being left-handed. However, I have an apple peeler. I've used it for pears and apples, but have not tried it for potatoes--anyone? Does the starch in the potato jam the apple peeler? I was taught to prick baked potatoes. I've never had any explode when baked (as long as they were pricked first).
Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Red potatoes are the way to go for potato salad. They hold their shape and have more flavor. I rarely peel them. It adds to the color of the dish and just seems more rustic.
I agree but, to keep the peace, I have to eat what my better half puts on the table. My job is to pay the bills and sharpen her knives..
Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

@Blissful
The labor to grow potatoes is the same. What differs is the yield/plant. I've noticed that my Russian Blues don't produce as many tubers as my Kennebecs. The Norland production / plant is between the two. And, I am really surprised at how much the cost of a 10 lb of spuds has gone up since 2008.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
I agree but, to keep the peace, I have to eat what my better half puts on the table. My job is to pay the bills.
One of my favorite potato salads is to use early potatoes from the Norland (red), Russian Blues, and Kennebecs dressed with an oil and vinegar dressing and fresh herbs. A very pretty salad. When we've subbed Yukon Gold for Kennebecs, the Yukon Golds are more "mealy" and not as good as the Kennebecs in potato salad.

Tags
other, potatoes