"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables

Old 03-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
Cook

Ideas for a sauce to pour over broccoli

Help,

My son and I are trying to lose some weight by eating more vegetables and less starches. The son likes butter or margarine (sp?) melted over steamed broccoli or green beans.

We're looking for maybe a "butter flavor" or cheese sauce (but thicker and able to cling to the veggies better than butter) to mix in with vegetables. It doesn't necessarily need to be a low cal sauce because i am increasing the amount of veggies we eat. I know very little about sauces so please give me a lot of details on how to make the sauce. Something not too complicated, that a beginner like me can make.

In addition, i need some ideas on a sauce for stir-fry kinds of dishes. The only thing i have come up with is broth thickened with cornstarch and salt, pepper,a little garlic, but its kinda bland and could use a little Asian flair.

Thanks for the help, Gary

Old 03-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Hee hee hee, I was just reading about condiments, herbs, spices, etc. in my culinary education course. Oyster sauce is a common stir fry ingredient. Other sauces to experiment with for Asian cuisine are fish sauce, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce. The latter three are used both as part of a recipe as well as condiments.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
In addition, i need some ideas on a sauce for stir-fry kinds of dishes. The only thing i have come up with is broth thickened with cornstarch and salt, pepper,a little garlic, but its kinda bland and could use a little Asain flair.
What about using actual Asian ingredients? Things such as:

- Oyster sauce
- Soy sauce (both light and dark)
- Fish sauce
- Rice or rice wine vinegar
- Hoisin sauce
- Kecap manis
- Black bean sauce
- goes on and on

One very simple, very tasty mixture is the combination of oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and maybe a touch of sugar (palm sugar works well). This is fantastic in a stir-fry and is used in countless Chinese dishes. You simply mix the ingredients together and add towards the end of the stir-frying process.

Quote:
We're looking for maybe a "butter flavor" or cheese sauce (but thicker and able to cling to the veggies better than butter) to mix in with vegetables. It doesn't necessarily need to be a low cal sauce because i am increasing the amount of veggies we eat. I know very little about sauces so please give me a lot of details on how to make the sauce. Something not too complicated, that a beginner like me can make.
Cream and gorgonzola (or another creamy blue cheese). Place some cream in a small saucepan or frypan and put over a gentle heat. Add some crumbled gorgonzola and let it melt into the sauce, stirring to combine. You can then use it, or proceed to simmer it further to make it richer and thicker.

I don't list quantities because:

a) I don't measure stuff out when it comes to sauces and the like, and;
b) Taste is so subjective that it puts the usefulness of measuring such things in question (note: not talking about baking here)

For example, the Asian-style sauce I gave, some people would prefer the powerful taste of oyster sauce with just a hint of soy and the acidity of the rice vinegar, others might prefer a powerful soy taste with just an accent of oyster sauce and others still might prefer a sweet and sour taste with the palm sugar and vinegar playing a key role while the soy and oyster just rounds it out.

Just mix some together in little quantities, taste and adjust as you go.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I vote for reduced balsamic vinegar - it turns really sweet and is really yummy. Be sure and don't reduce it too far or you will end up with sticky teeth You can just experiment and taste as you go.

You can also use a bit of sesame oil. A lot goes a long way.

Cilantro, diced tomatoes, soy sauce, limejuice.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Gary,
my grandson enjoys this broccoli and cheese bake, it's about the only way I can get him to eat it..Hope this might work for you. To keep the calories down, you can use a low-cal mayo and a light margarine. Me I'd just use the butter, it's not that much since the recipe makes 4-6 servings.
1-egg white
1/4-c. mayo
3-tab. parmesan cheese grated
2-tab. fresh flat leaf parsley, not the curly parsley
zest from half a fresh lemon
2-lbs fresh or 2-10 oz. packages frozen broccoli,cooked and drained.
2-Tab. butter or margarine, melted

In small bow, beat the egg white til soft peaks form. Fold in mayo, then stir in the grated parmesan and lemon zest. Arrange cooked broccoli in oven proof serving dish. Pour melted butter over broccoli; top with egg white mixture. Bake at 450 for 5 min or til puffy and golden.

kadesma
Here is another I thought of after posting the above one.
It's simply broccoli and bacon
1-lb broccoli
4-slices bacon cooked and crumbled
1/4-cup green onion both the green and white part, sliced
this uses 3/4 c. dry bread crumbs
peel and split broccoli stems; cook whole branches in boiling salted water til just tender. Drain
While broccoli is cooking fry the bacon til crisp;drain on paper towels then crumble.
Cook the sliced green onions in the bacon drippings til wilted;stir in the bread crumbs;mix well. Arrange the broccoli on a hot platter and then sprinkle the crumbled bacon, onion and crumbs;;
serves 3
kadesma
Old 03-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
Master Chef

I like to braise broccoli and lots of other vegies in chicken broth with a little garlic, salt and pepper. Leeks, sliced onions, baby carrots, cauliflower, new potatoes, brussels sprouts, green beans, snow peas...all are good in any combination. It's very low calorie, fast, easy and delicious!

For a good cheese sauce, start with a white sauce: In saucepan, melt 2 tbls butter, mix in 2 tbls flour, remove from heat and slowly whisk in 2 cups reduced fat milk. Even skim milk works, but takes longer to thicken. Place on med/high heat and cook, stirring, until mixture starts to bubble. Reduce heat to medium, and stir constantly until sauce is thick. Add 1-2 cups shredded cheese of your choice, salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg. A cup of cubed Velveeta Lite is a tasty, lower fat choice in cheeses, and tastes great on vegies.
I serve the cheese sauce on the side, as the cooked vegetables tend to sweat and make it watery if you combine the two.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #7
Executive Chef

melt a few cheeses together and pour it on top of of the broccoli. I just eat plain though.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Thai peanut sauce is great for a stir fry.

THe "Asian Trinity" (equal to the cajun trinity) is soy sauce, chopped fresh ginger, and minced garlic. Add to that a dash of toasted sesame oil, red pepper flakes, even a dash of dry sherry or saki!

In making a cheese sauce try subbing dill havarti chesse instead of cheddar.

Make a white sauce: 1 tbsp butter melted, 1 tblsp flour wisked in and cooked for 1 minute, 1 cup of milk wisked in slowly and smoothly blended, bring to simmer it will thicken...add grated cheese, salt pepper etc.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
Contest Winner

Steamed/boiled broccoli is really good with some condensed canned cream of mushroom, cream of celery OR cream of broccoli soup poured over top. It sounds strange, but is quite tasty. There is a load of sodium in canned soups though so you probably dont want to do this everyday... but its good if you are feeling lazy and want something quick and tasty.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:13 AM   #10
Cook

Thanks for the ideas. I'll be going to the store for ingredients tomorrow. I'm learning a white sauce is the basis for a lot of good things. If I was to add broth instead of milk to the white sauce, what would that be called,(gravy?) and what could I use it for?? Also, Kadesma, my son says thanks for the broccoli and bacon recipe, I just made it for him and he loves it! I'm going to try all the other recipes too, including braising cauliflower, carrots, and broccoli in chicken stock.

Tags
None