"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Old 03-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Master Chef
How much potato do ou buy at once? How often do you shop? The only time the potato will go green if it seets in a worm room for too long. Though I have to admit last couple of years potato was not as good as it used to be. I'd say buy lesser amount. In comercial place they keep potato in comercial coolars at temps abouve freezing with good ventilations, no sand, and potato keeps whole winter. I'd say buying less is a solution.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Unfortunately they only sell potatoes at the market in bags or I would buy less. I bought these the 16th of March, less than two weeks ago, and they are already pretty green. I agree, I don't remember potatoes going bad as fast even two years ago as they do now. It's not been overly hot or humid, it's been nice here, so them going bad this fast is so weird.

Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
Executive Chef
yes you can freeze mashed potatoes, more easily in fact than you can freeze slices.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
Honey Badger
Should you get tired of mashed taters,you could also try making,
Twice Baked,French Fries,or Hash Browns,.They all freeze well without a lot of trouble and time.
If my memory is right,I believe the green on the potatoes is toxic.Don't eat it.
It's caused by the tubers being exposed to sunlight.

I found a few old toy box buckets,the kind that have short ropes for handles.I think I bought them at Target or Walmart. Those make the ideal containers for growing your own Potatoes in.It's very simple to do.4 old tired stacked and then gradually filled with soil work well to,Just unstack as you harvest.I'm going the bucket route.

Just take a few potatoes that have the (eyes) sprouting,quarter them.Add them to the bucket,fill with any type of soil they love a lot of compost.Add just enough soil to cover the potato quarters.Taters aren't that picky the first time around.
When the shoots start growing up you will see them.Add more soil to top up,and you keep topping up. The tubers have to be kept covered at all times until the bucket is full.It's a huge bucket to.
By then all you have to do is reach in,and pull them out.
You can do that with the bucket only twice.The third time isn't recommended that you use the same soil because by then the potatoes that have grown there,leave behind contaminated soil that needs to be discarded.Start fresh with new soil and compost.
If I can find the site(my memory is bad) it has a video demonstration on how to do it exactly.But until I can find it here's a link that been extremely helpful for me.
My first year with a full out garden..Wish me luck.I forget to water.Doh!
Vegetable Gardening : How to Grow Potatoes - by The Gardener's Network

If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #15
Honey Badger
Ha found it!
Scroll down on the right side tab,it's towards the bottom

If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
Sous Chef
don't you have a neighbour, friend, family member that you could share with?

ella/TO is offline   Reply With Quote