Your Ultimate Potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love potatoes anyway they are put in front of me! One of my favorite things is to take the whole baby potatoes(I use the canned ones, but fresh can be used if they are boiled first) dry them very well then coat in flour first, then an egg wash , then a mixture of cornmeal, flour, & assorted spices & deep fry them until they are golden brown & crispy.

Originally Posted by lyndalou
"All of the above. Another favorite is to bake potatoes until just done, then let them cool until you can handle them. Cut them into quarters or eighths and fry them in half evoo and butter until they are crispy and brown on the outside. They are wonderful."

That's what we do with leftover baked potatoes. I usually throw in a couple extra ones so we'll have enough for the next day! They are yummy!
Another thing I do with leftover baked potatoes is spread the wedges on a foil covered baking sheet, sprinkle with S&P or a little Cajun seasoning and lots of shredded cheddar cheese (bacon bits are good too) and bake till potatoes are warm and cheese is melted, then turn on the broiler and crisp them up. Beats the heck out of potato skins!

Oh, I always wonder when people ask me my favorite -- be it food, books, people, color -- in fact, I can never narrow it down, I love so much. I guess a perfect french fry (I mean perfect)? Or hash browns as made at our local breakfast place? Or Jacques Pepin's great potato casserole? Scalloped? Au Gratin? Home fries? Oh, dear, when it comes to food, there isn't such a thing as favorite, there's just the last best thing I ate, and the wonderful memories of food I ate in years past.

Last edited:
My favorite 'tater is the one I'm eating - as long as it's not burned! :wacko:

Too many ways to fix a 'tater to try to narrow it down to just "one way" for a favorite.

it is easier for to tell you how I don't like them, French fried...any other way is fine for me including raw. I do love raw fries though...yummy!

I love new potatoes (preferably jersey royals) - just washed, not skinned. Put into a roasting pan, add a huge handful of fresh rosemary and drizzle a little olive oil. Toss the rosemary potatoes in the olive oil (just enough to coat, not to 'pool' at the bottom of the roasting pan - and then roast in a hot oven until done..... When done, sprinkle with Maldon sea salt and serve with - salmon fillets, chicken, steak etc...

Another favourite ways is chappit tatties - boil maincrop potatoes until done, mash with lots of butter, a little double cream and lots and lots of ground pepper.

Rumbledethumps - the above with the addition of boiled swede turnip (rutabaga) and a little cheese

Tattie scones - potato scones - a necessary component of a real Scots 'fried breakfast'...

I love tatties!

Roasted rosemary potatoes. First I crisp themon the stove in olive oil with shallots, garlic and a bit of finely diced mushroom, then bake them off with rosemary, salt and pepper. Heavenly!

Last edited:
Maybe I over-looked it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned twice baked potatoes. They are a Christmas and Thanksgiving treat for us.
We make them by scooping out baked potatoes, mashing and mixing with butter, sour cream, chives, S&P, then stuff the shells and top with good cheddar cheese and a dusting of paprika. Cover with foil and bake at 350 until hot, then uncover and bake a little longer to crisp the top.
Sometimes I sprinkle a few bacon bits on with the cheese.

I love love twice baked sweet potatoes, too. I use butter in them, then top with some diced apples or drained, crushed pineapple and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

I really really like crispy hash brown potatoes. But then I also like a good baked potato, creamy mashed, french fried, roasted wedges, etc., etc....

BC

Back
Top Bottom