"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
To add to IC's list - we used to reduce soy sauce (quite a bit) and add it to our beurre blanc - it was quite tasty!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
To add to IC's list - we used to reduce soy sauce (quite a bit) and add it to our beurre blanc - it was quite tasty!
Thanks for jogging my memory!

I used to make a scallop appy, sautee'd baby Bok choy, cripsy pancetta, topped with a soy-orange reduction. Probably the most popular appy at the restaurant I used to work at.

I happen to have a picture of it, actually:
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
college cook - that looks awesome and quite edible!

We also added shredded and thoroughly drained and dried cucumber. Gave it a nice brightness.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Callisto, Ironchef, College_cook. Thanks for the idea. There is a lot of good mix to go with. I was thinking about this one most of my day at work, should be working though. Let me run it through you guys. Generally we associated Curry with Chicken. What do think of marinating curry (powder) with steak and a touch of Michu (cooking wine), a little soy, sugar, salt and pepper. I'll definitely give all the suggestion a tried. From the words of the Terminator: I'll be BACK!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

College_cook..don't want to be rude. Judging from the picture, looks a bit dried. I think a little bit more sauce would make it nicer. Perhaps it's just the picture. Aside from the cucumber, I'll probably add a bundle of carrot strings to brighten it up. Certainly looks pleasing thus far.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
No worries :)

You can't see it so much here- but the scallops are actually surrounded by a few rings of sauce. Since you're not familiar with Western cuisine, this may be a different take on preparation/presentation for you. There's plenty of moisture in the dish- sauce, scallop (cooked MR - M, not well) and in the bok choy also. You may find that with some western dishes, like this one, not much sauce is needed because the flavor is very very concentrated.

Again, not knowing much of Asian cuisine at large, I think there are quite a few cases where you'll find western dishes that are much more dry looking. However, I'm not sure if it's still customary to cook all proteins to well done in the eastern hemisphere. We have pretty strict health and cleanliness standards over here now, so it makes it ok to eat pretty much anything rare- beef, duck, pork (though I won't do below medium pork, the texture isn't so great), and fish.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfeng View Post
I was thinking about this one most of my day at work, should be working though. Let me run it through you guys. Generally we associated Curry with Chicken. What do think of marinating curry (powder) with steak and a touch of Michu (cooking wine), a little soy, sugar, salt and pepper.
That sounds fine, but there's nothing fusion about it.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #18
Master Chef

Ok - I'll admit it - I'm lost here!

As I understand it ... Fusion food can be either food from one cuisine being cooked in the style of another (humm ... Asian stir fry cooked in the style of a French Sauté) - or substituting ingredients from one cuisine in another (adding slices of avacado to a sushi roll to make a California Roll out of a Nori Sushi Roll).

Quote:
Well...cantonese cooking consisted of 4 primary ingredients, Soy sauce, Oyster sauce, Sugar, and Cooking wine.
If you are looking for condiments that are also used as ingredients in Western cooking:

Prepared yellow, brown or Creole mustards, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, BBQ sauces (tomato or mustard based), various vinegars, tabasco pepper sauces ...

Again ... not sure what you are asking or where this is headed.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #19
Senior Cook

well, for the last 3 months or so, i've been experimenting with vietnamese food and "mildly" incorporating the south louisiana trinity of 2:1:1 onion, bell pepper and celery.

the results so far have been "eeeh..." nothing to cheer about.

however, when i reversed the fusion and used the asian trinity of garlic + ginger + scallion (or shallot) my asian chicken fricasee came out spectacular!!!

my kitchen is slowly turning into a laboratory.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #20
Master Chef

By their very nature, many Vietnamese (because of the French influence) and almost all Hawaiian recipes are what is now called "fusion". You might start there.

Tags
None