"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Not seen curry paste in stores, I could probably make my own? Not the curry powder, but the paste.
I'm not sure which piece of the meat you are infusing, but if the skin is on, make a paste with the curry powder and some butter.Lift the skin and rub some of the "paste" between the skin and the meat. You can also "prick" the meat and rub the paste you've made into it. I get my curry powder from a friend (married to a guy from India). Good curry powder is definitely where you want to start. There a lots of good recipes on line for curry powder. I just don't make my own because my friend wants farm fresh eggs and since I wouldn't feel right about charging her, I take home-ground curry powder in exchange.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Head Chef

Thanks. BTW, I was expecting to see garlic paste in small container last time I went shopping. At the chilled vegetable area, I found tubes of garlic paste and bought one. Never seen that before, nor curry paste. Curry paste wasn't there at that section, but I'll look for it on the other isles.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Curry pastes are usually in the ethnic section of the supermarket.
Cool. I'll marinate it in that. That's gotta be better than just sprinkling on curry powder at fry time.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Cool. I'll marinate it in that. That's gotta be better than just sprinkling on curry powder at fry time.
If you get Patak's curry pastes, there are recipes on the bottles and on their website.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:56 AM   #15
Executive Chef

This is my cheats version of New Potato Curry.
Parr boil some small skin on new pots.
In a bowl mix a dollop of curry paste into a pot of Greek yogurt, gently prick your hot pots all over and drop in the yog mix, cling film and leave in the fridge for 8 hrs.

Put some veg oil in a wok and fry a cup of pureed onion, half a cup of pureed garlic and a quarter cup of pureed ginger till the oil starts to split from the puree. turn the heat down add the pot/yog and cook till pots are done and the sauce has reduced.Serve with paratha's.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
How do I infuse curry powder into chicken pieces ready to fry and add to rice. I usually just sprinkle it on the small cut up chicken pieces, then fry it lightly. Should I sprinkle the curry powder on the small cut up chicken pieces and let it set in the fridge? I want more curry flavor in the chicken.

The only thing I can think of is to cut slits into the chicken and rub the powder in.

I'm ethnic so I am sure I can dig out a recipe for you to make a good curry paste from scratch, will have a look for you.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Gravy Queen,

SWAGAT, WELCOME Gravy Queen,

A Chef by the name of Madhuri Jaffrey, a member of the JAMES BEARD ORG, and who is also very popular in the UK, and quite talented in Bollywood, has published quite a number of amazing recipes to add to her repertoire.

We truly enjoy Indian, and go to a stunner Indian owned Restaurant called SWAGAT here in Madrid, and the owner Shabani is an absolute marvel.

I flip for VINDALOO chicken and TANDOORI SHRIMP
I hope this assists ...

Great post, thanks,
Margi,
Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Gravy Queen,

SWAGAT, WELCOME Gravy Queen,

A Chef by the name of Madhuri Jaffrey, a member of the JAMES BEARD ORG, and who is also very popular in the UK, and quite talented in Bollywood, has published quite a number of amazing recipes to add to her repertoire.

We truly enjoy Indian, and go to a stunner Indian owned Restaurant called SWAGAT here in Madrid, and the owner Shabani is an absolute marvel.

I flip for VINDALOO chicken and TANDOORI SHRIMP
I hope this assists ...

Great post, thanks,
Margi,
Margi I worked 40 yrs ago for one of our family firms Dein Bros who were the biggest importers of Asian food ingredients in Europe.I was taught to cook for fun by the head chef of one of the first Indian Restaurants in the UK VEERASWAMY - home
M Jaffrey is a very talented home style cook which is entirely different to restaurant style Indian cooking. Her tradition meat dishes take to long, no one is going to wait 2 hrs in a restaurant for a lamb korma so batch cooking was invented by Indian chefs in the UK.
This is a typical restaurant gravy base
Titli then adds fried chicken, in a restaurant they would cook the various meat in different spiced stocks till tender so before service they have mounds of cold cooked cubed lamb,beef,pork and chicken.
The taste of the batch cooked dish is far fresher because the herbs and spices have cook for a much shorter time.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Thanks. BTW, I was expecting to see garlic paste in small container last time I went shopping. At the chilled vegetable area, I found tubes of garlic paste and bought one. Never seen that before, nor curry paste. Curry paste wasn't there at that section, but I'll look for it on the other isles.
It's usually in the ethnic food aisle. Patak's is the most popular brand.

I know others like it but, personally, I can't abide curry paste from a jar. As Bolas mentions above, for quick meals during the week, what I prefer to do is make a base sauce that you can freeze or refrigerate. Then you add whatever you like to it - lamb, chicken, or even just veggies.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #20
Head Chef

I do agree Steve about making a bas, but now and again I like to use a Pataks , its so good, by far the best curry in a jar for me.

Tags
curry