"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #21
Master Chef

When you make the onion jam for your tart toss in some caraway seeds, IMO they are a small touch that makes a big difference in flavor.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Recipes Anyone??? The rustic tart in the picture looks delicious.
I think this is the recipe for the rustic tart, unless you and I are not talkinng about the same thing:

Quote:
1 Pâte Brisée (tart dough) for one 10-inch tart (see method for making pâte brisée) or 1 packaged, flat pie crust (Trader Joe's has one in their frozen section)
3 medium sized red onions
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
Salt
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup (not packed) roughly grated Gruyère Swiss cheese

Rustic Onion Tart Recipe | Simply Recipes

Old 05-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
Head Chef

Thanks, kades and Greg. I can't wait to make one for my husband and I.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Thanks, kades and Greg. I can't wait to make one for my husband and I.
You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it we sure do.
kades

Tags
onion, pie, recipe

Onion Pie (onion tart) I've been reading [I]Game of Kings[/I] (volume 2: [I]A Clash of Kings[/I]), a fantasy novel series set in a pesudo-mythic medieval world that in some ways (minus the fantasy) resembles our own medieval era. One aspect of the fiction has intrigued me since I am so interested in cooking and eating (as most forum members are) is the foods that the characters are described as eating. Many, most, maybe all of them are foods that were available in our own medieval times. One dish has intrigued me and it sounds good enough that I hope to cook this some day when I return to my experimental chef mode. That dish is (as the topic title alludes to) onion pie, or AKA onion tarts. (I presume tarts are intended as individual servings, pies are intended to be sectioned and shared.) After searching the Internet this dish seems to be based upon caramelized onions and some sort of pastry. Sometimes the pastry is wrapped or folded over (outside towards the middle) and called a tart. Other times it's a pie in our modern sense, and I think sometimes eggs are involved perhaps forming a sort of quiche. I'm curious if any forum members have cooked such a dish, or eaten such a dish in restaurants. I can of course Google recipes and cook them, discover for myself. I'm just curious what other peoples' experiences are with onion pies. 3 stars 1 reviews