Black salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farmer Jon

Sous Chef
I got some black salt for Christmas. It is nasty tasting. What do you do with this stuff?

Attachments

• IMG_20190129_175708.jpg
    IMG_20190129_175708.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 147
lol..it is used in Indian cooking. Like Chaat Masala. Usually in small amounts when mixed with spice blends and sauces. Good with just about any type of meat or veg if you like the flavor.. It has a very sulfuric smell and flavor. I taste popcorn..

Last edited:
I bought some black salt a while back in an Indian grocery. I’ve never used it. One whiff and it was relegated to the very back of the cupboard where I keep seldom used and exotic spices. I couldn’t bring myself to toss it, but I have no idea how to use it.

I bought smoked salt years ago. Never used it. Tossed it recently. Supposed to be good on cooked salmon. Salmon has been too expensive for me for awhile. $12.00 @ lb. A single serving salmon steak slice is $7.50, and it's farm raised and artificially colored. Too expensive now.

Last edited:
Black salt taste like boiled eggs to me.
I don't use it because I think if something
taste like a boiled egg, it should look
Like one. Might work in deviled eggs?? Might
enhance the flavor.

Josie

Last edited:
I bought smoked salt years ago. Never used it. Tossed it recently. Supposed to be good on cooked salmon. Salmon has been too expensive for me for awhile. $12.00 @ lb. A single serving salmon steak slice is $7.50, and it's farm raised and artificially colored. Too expensive now.

On the 4th of July, my mother always made creamed salmon and peas over mashed potatoes. A New England custom.

Today, Salmon is even more expensive that fresh caught Haddock and right up there with fresh caught Cod. Looking at this week's flyer, that Cod price caught me by surprise. I love Haddock, but Cod was always my "go to" fish whenever Haddock had a price jump. And Salmon is right up there with the Cod. So now I buy salted Cod from Nova Scotia. They seem to do it best. And a lot less expensive than fresh caught.

Cold weather cooking for the next couple of weeks. Clam and Corn Chowders. We are getting tired of beef stew. That is if I can find a bag or two of clams where no more than one clam stays opened when tapped. Don't have to worry about the cream style corn staying open though. I do have the BTB Clam. Was one of the very first jars I ever bought of the BTB. I may be able to get by with just one bag of clams if I make just a small pot.

Back
Top Bottom