Do You Wash Your Clothes With Hot/Warm Or Cold Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I have to run an empty cycle with bleach after I do dog laundry. Fortunately, I no longer foster dogs so don't have as many loads of dog laundry every week.

I don't have a choice. I don't have a hot water line running to my laundry room.
Really? I had the DH run a hot water line outside so I could bath the dogs outside with warm water (and not have to run a hose out the bathroom window). It also made washing dog crates much more comfortable in the fall and spring--before having a hot water tap outside, the water was darned cold at that time of year. The tap is one where you can blend the two--hot and cold and hook up a hose. I had him rig up a laundry tub outside as well so I can fill it up with hot water and wash the LARGE pans during canning season (the ones that don't fit in the kitchen sink). In the winter, I wash those pans in the bathtub or shower.

Really? I had the DH run a hot water line outside so I could bath the dogs outside with warm water (and not have to run a hose out the bathroom window). It also made washing dog crates much more comfortable in the fall and spring--before having a hot water tap outside, the water was darned cold at that time of year. The tap is one where you can blend the two--hot and cold and hook up a hose. I had him rig up a laundry tub outside as well so I can fill it up with hot water and wash the LARGE pans during canning season (the ones that don't fit in the kitchen sink). In the winter, I wash those pans in the bathtub or shower.
He lives in L.A. The water never gets decently cold there.

I missed that! I do have to close the outdoor taps for the winter otherwise I would have a problem. And, I haven't turned them on, yet.
I turn off the inside valve for the outdoor tap. Then, I go outside and open the outside tap to make sure it is completely drained. I haven't turned on my outside tap yet either. I have to remember to turn it off outside before I turn it on inside.

Thanks for the reminder. I usually don't remember until I bring the first bucket of compost outside and want to rinse it.

I turn off the inside valve for the outdoor tap. Then, I go outside and open the outside tap to make sure it is completely drained. I haven't turned on my outside tap yet either. I have to remember to turn it off outside before I turn it on inside.

Thanks for the reminder. I usually don't remember until I bring the first bucket of compost outside and want to rinse it.
Mine are turned off inside as well, and the lines were opened up to drain. I'm not turning mine on for awhile <g>. I have lines running to the outbuildings, too, and have forgotten to close the tap before turning those on...:ermm:

We have decided to continue washing in cold water....well we have it set to 20c so near enough cold and the new washing machine is doing a fabulous job :)

I've had a Bosch front-load for about 4 years. No odor because I always leave the door open when I'm not running it. I'll wipe the door gasket every couple of months too. Always rinse in cold since I don't have wool (itchy!) but I vary wash temp based on clothing. Hot for cotton undies, warm for sheets and sturdy darks (jeans, sox) and cold for everything else. I'll fluff the cold wash in the dryer on air for about 10 minutes to get out any wrinkles, then hang tops on curved hangers, pants on skirt hangers, and air dry either up in the spare bedroom on a clothes rack or in the basement. If I'm in a hurry I'll put the basement clothes rack in our sunroom to dry the clothes quicker. Used to hang most everything outside when we lived in OH. When we moved to MA I found a tick on our sheets. Himself had gone through a nasty bout of Lyme disease (thank goodness he has no lingering effects) and I will not hang any wash outside until we return to OH. Bad enough I have to do a tick check every time I go to pull a weed.:mad:

I've been wanting to buy one but cannot find the wire mesh type.

Found this on Lehman's website:

5065.jpg

I have something similar to it hanging in my shower. I put the tiny pieces of my shower soap in it and use it to wash with when it gets full enough. You could probably toss this right into the washer.

I'm starting to envy your lifestyle...:rolleyes:

You and me both! I've told Himself more than once when we move back home I want to get a his-and-hers duplex. Better yet, a triple unit. Our daughter could have the middle unit. Trust me, she'd love it! She can't wait till we return. Now her brother - he wouldn't cotton to the idea.:LOL:

Since we are retired, my husband "helps" with the laundry. He remembers the old days when his mother washed everything in hot water. Let me say, he is not allowed to wash any of my shirts, tops etc because of that! I don't like to complain because they he won't help, but I try to keep his washing to towels, sheets and jeans. I certainly don't want my underwear shrinking! LOL He also likes to use the dryer on hot because it doesn't take as long. I am gradually breaking him of that habit!

Carol

The only laundry I'll let mine help with is moving stuff from the washer to the dryer. I'll have the dryer setting and time ready to go - all he has to do is put the stuff in, close the door, and "push the button, max!" Anything else and I'd be wearing all pink, too-tight clothes!:LOL:

You and me both! I've told Himself more than once when we move back home I want to get a his-and-hers duplex. Better yet, a triple unit. Our daughter could have the middle unit. Trust me, she'd love it! She can't wait till we return. Now her brother - he wouldn't cotton to the idea.:LOL:
I have several friends who have their own houses...and a couple of friends who have his-and-hers duplexes. One of my cousins has a his-and-hers duplex. Their son spends time on both sides and has a bedroom on each side. Unconventional, but it works for those of us who have tried it. I also have a couple of friends who divorced but now live together.

Here we are, talking about washers and dryers, and I'm seriously wishing I had a clothesline. Every year we talk about having someone put one in for me in the spring, and then get distracted. I just love the scent of line-dried sheets.

I guess I'm weird, but I like my towels, sheets, linens in general, rough rather than softened. I sweat a lot when I sleep, and fabric softeners make it so sheets and pillow cases repel water, so I wind up drenched.

Here we are, talking about washers and dryers, and I'm seriously wishing I had a clothesline. Every year we talk about having someone put one in for me in the spring, and then get distracted. I just love the scent of line-dried sheets.

I guess I'm weird, but I like my towels, sheets, linens in general, rough rather than softened. I sweat a lot when I sleep, and fabric softeners make it so sheets and pillow cases repel water, so I wind up drenched.
I love having a clothesline. Grew up with one (my mom had one of those umbrella ones when I was very young), have always had one. I rarely use the dryer. I don't think I've used it since last June--and that was to dry my down duvet. There was a suburb that had a by-law forbidding clotheslines. When it got amalgamated into the City, the by-law was harmonized so people could have clotheslines in that area.

I am another fan of the clothesline!

I love the smell of sheets that have been dried outdoors!

We used to hang them out all year round. It took a little longer do dry them in the winter but the sun and crisp fresh air made them smell great.

My Grandmother believed that drying them in the sun bleached the white clothes, I am not sure if that is true or not.

When we were kids our tent for backyard camping was a couple of old bed sheets hung from the clothesline and staked to the ground. If it rained we took the sheets indoors and spent the night under the dining room table

Our parents didn't invest much money in us but, we had a lot of fun! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've had a Bosch front-load for about 4 years. No odor because I always leave the door open when I'm not running it. I'll wipe the door gasket every couple of months too. Always rinse in cold since I don't have wool (itchy!) but I vary wash temp based on clothing. Hot for cotton undies, warm for sheets and sturdy darks (jeans, sox) and cold for everything else. I'll fluff the cold wash in the dryer on air for about 10 minutes to get out any wrinkles, then hang tops on curved hangers, pants on skirt hangers, and air dry either up in the spare bedroom on a clothes rack or in the basement. If I'm in a hurry I'll put the basement clothes rack in our sunroom to dry the clothes quicker. Used to hang most everything outside when we lived in OH. When we moved to MA I found a tick on our sheets. Himself had gone through a nasty bout of Lyme disease (thank goodness he has no lingering effects) and I will not hang any wash outside until we return to OH. Bad enough I have to do a tick check every time I go to pull a weed.:mad:
I have had my front loader for close to eight years and no odour. It said in the instructions to leave the door to the washer open, so I do.

Unfortunately my dryer doesn't have an air dry setting. That would be really handy. I have some clothes that aren't supposed to go in the dryer and I have to get the cat hair off by other means. :(

I did look get full sized that could stack. Stacking the dryer on top of the washer freed up space in my little laundry area. :) And, I don't have to bend over to use the dryer.

Back
Top Bottom