E-Readers, Suggestions and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
have any of you kindlers encountered a problem with "opening" any of your kindle books? i have been getting a message indicating "book cannot be opened...delete title from your device". first time it happened, about one month ago, five of my ebooks could not be opened. they were redownloaded for me by a tech at amazon. today, the problem recurred. this time, amazon chose to refund the purchase price of the two books involved. no more kindle books for me....

Sometimes that is the manufacturer at fault, not you!

Reboot your router. Just unplug the modem for 30 seconds, disconnect the router then plug in modem, wait for all the lights but the last one, then plug in the router. When the lights are all lit, give it another try.

You are a wizard! Thank you! It worked like a charm, I've been fighting with them for two days.

well, well. for a short time, both kindle and nook are selling $79 ereaders. the nook one is regularly $99 and runs no ads. it is described as faster, lighter, with a longer battery life than the previous nooks. looks like they had to do something to compete with the $79 kindle. kindle fire also looks to be outshining the new color nook, by selling for $200--$50 less than the nook....

...but the $79 simple touch nook is not being offered on line. you need to go to a b&n store for the deal. call me lazy, but score another win for kindle....

I've not dealt with B&N at all, but Amazon's customer service is without parallel. I've told you my Kindle killer stories, I also was given and amazon.ca gift card and was all excited to go purchase books with it. Alas, only amazon.com cards work for that. Customer service transferred over the amount without a quiver. They told me they couldn't do it all the time, but this once, no problem. I've returned books that I accidentally hit Buy Now and no problem. For me, customer service and ease of returns is a HUGE deal. Its one reason I do so much shopping at Costco and Walmart. They are both very good about returns.

I agree with alix about Amazons customer service. They do it right. I bought my wife a Kindle last year. I had bought it for her for Chanukah, but got it months in advance. When she opened it we found out it was defective. Even though the return period was long over, amazon did not bat an eye and replaced it right away. The overnighted the replacement at no charge and even let us keep the power cord so we ended up with two power cords.

That Kindle actually ended up having problems too and Amazon again replaced it right away without the slightest hesitation.

I bought a Kindle book once and there were a lot of formatting errors. It did not keep me from reading the book or understanding anything in the story, but it was a slight annoyance. Amazon asked me if I wanted a refund for the book. I declined because I was still able to read the book, but I was thrilled that Amazon realized that they should offer the refund.

I am sold on their customer service. They really do try to treat you the way you want to be treated.

can somebody give me a quick read [sic] on the kindle fire? love it, yes? why or why not? pros, cons? how well does it do with internet surfing? with its extra weight, is it still comfy as a reading tablet? do you have to buy lots of apps? i will buy it (or not) tomorrow. i know, i know, i'm always in a great big rush for your help, but you have always come through for me anyhow, and i do appreciate you guys so very much....:)

pacanis just got one. It sounds like he likes it. You might want to PM him for some details.

I gather that the Fire can stream movies etc, but I didn't think it was like a tablet.

as usual, i am sorely unacquainted with electronic stuff in general. i have no concept of what a tablet is or what it does. the kindle fire appeals to me because it is primarily an upscale ereader that can do a lot of other stuff. i'm looking at it for my daughter, to feed a growing interest in book-reading. a reader with multi-faceted capabilities would make an awesomely attractive gift for her. the tv ads for fire are impressive, but not particularly informative. so here i am....

I was going to rec Pac too, he posted that he loved his right out of the box. I still love my Kindle 2.

Yes, I like it. I don't do any, or much, web surfing on it though. Maybe in an emergency. I hate scrolling around a zoomed in web page to read it.
It is great (to me) for reading. I love the back-lit pages and they are very customizable.
It is heavy. It is not as comfortable to hold as a regular Kindle. I am going to get a cover for it. I'll have to put that on today's Amazon order. Preferably one that will make it open like a book, so I can rest it in my lap somehow when reading.
There is a known glitch with it that they are working on. It does not always remember your place in a book. That can be an inconvenience if you want to stop reading and do something else with it, like surf or read a different book for a while. You can put the Fire to sleep and wake it back up on the same page anyway, which is what I've been doing.
The speed is very fast and pretty intuitive to use. And the screen is brilliant.

It fills the niche I wanted filled without dropping 2.5 times as much on an iPad. Plus Amazon and Google are fast becoming, if they aren't already there, a force to be reckoned with. They seem to have a real handle on the small techie stuff.

i finally had an opportunity to view a demonstration/review video of the fire--um, wow. between that and your favorable fire comments, pac, i'm sold on this kindle device. my girl will like the music and videos and apps(?) that it offers, and, of course, the really extraordinary reading experience for her budding book interests. last year i got her an ipod. still have no idea what IT does--except that it got hijacked pretty quickly by my grand kids who use it to play games on. i'm sorry to have missed the sale on covers for the fire last week, but i see it's a must-have accessory for this kindle fire gift. i think/hope this fire device is safe from my tech-addicted grandkids, it being essentially a BOOK reader, and all...i just may have to buy one for myself, though....:)

i got it, i got the fire! my girl is absolutely gonna flip over it! the place i bought it, staples, has a display set up with the fire, in living color, for demonstration purposes. this kindle fire sells itself! i want one. but i'm just not willing to spend two hundred dollars on myself, without a vERy good reason, i guess....:(

I prefer a real book with pages I can turn, love books!

I thought the same thing, until my wife bought me a Nook a couple of years ago.

But reading is reading, and 20 minutes with one of these devices and you don't really distinguish the reading experience as being different.

And there are distinct advantages in an eReader, such as resizing text, being able to shop millions of titles and download a book in minutes anywhere in the world, not to mention the books are FAR less expensive. You can store a library of several thousand books on one device.

And the latest generation of devices are much more than eReaders (as some posts above mention).

There is a Kindle Fire for me under my Christmas tree (I saw the box when delivered by UPS). Can't wait.

As someone in their fifties, resizing the text is very big for me.
I imagine in a few years, so will increasing the spaces between the words and the lines ;)

As someone in their fifties, resizing the text is very big for me.
I imagine in a few years, so will increasing the spaces between the words and the lines ;)

;) I'm there with you on the text sizing.

About every third book I read is a history book, and for some reason, most are printed with small fonts.

And I am in my 50s as well.

The eyes, even with bifocals, aren't what they used to be.

i don't usually do protection plans--for anything. i'm having second thoughts about this kindle fire, though. things get dropped, touch screen devices are sensitive--should i maybe spend the forty dollars to insure the fire for two years? what do you think?

i don't usually do protection plans--for anything. i'm having second thoughts about this kindle fire, though. things get dropped, touch screen devices are sensitive--should i maybe spend the forty dollars to insure the fire for two years? what do you think?

That might be a good idea since you are giving it to your daughter (you said?). I'm not sure her age or her plans for the device... taking it to friends' houses and such.
Me personally, I never insure anything or get extended warranties. I was told a while ago that most electronics these days will break right away if they are going to break at all, so most anything will happen within the normal warranty period. I've found that to hold pretty true. And I'm pretty careful with my stuff as far as the dropsies are concerned. I consider the case I am getting for my Fire insurance against drops or splashes.

Back
Top Bottom