"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
I love the smell of Vicks. Brings back the days of being sick in bed and Mom rubbing Vicks on my chest and back. I don't know if it was the Vicks or Mom's hands that made me feel so much better. Now when I'm all stuffed up with a cold, out come the Vicks.
I dont love the smell of it, but it certainly brings back the same memories as you, mom rubbing it on my back and chest. I stil do the vicks too. It works!

Old 08-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
Ginger Ale, Coca Cola Syrup, Toast, Emitrol
Coca cola syrup, my mom didnt use that on me, but I did with my child, and it works great for a stomach upset. A bit of ice chips and cola syrup works wonders.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:12 AM   #33
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
And though I'm certainly not advocating alcoholic beverages for children, when we had very bad colds or flu, etc., our nighttime beverage was often a cup of tea with a small dash of whiskey. In fact, there used to be something called "Rock 'n Rye", which was Rye whiskey with a skewer of rock candy in the bottle. That was, frankly, kept around our household just for bad colds - lol!! (Keep in mind that this was over 40 years ago.)
Breezy, I keep a bottle of Rock 'n Rye on hand at all times. I've never seen it with the rock candy though, just with a lemon wedge in the bottle. Mom used to mix about a tablespoon or so with a little honey & lemon juice for chest congestion. I still use it to for myself, but I generally take about a shot glass full now.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #34
Master Chef

Wow - I haven't seen Rock 'n Rye in a dog's age!! But here in VA, unlike NY where I'm originally from, all the liquor stores are state-owned, so they don't carry the variety that independent stores do.

Never saw Rock 'n Rye with lemon in it, but I bet it's good - that must be something new. It actually was named "Rock 'n Rye" because of the wooden skewer of "rock" candy in it. What I could never figure out was how/why the alcohol didn't dissolve the rock candy, since it's just sugar. Any chemist-type folks here know the answer to that?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
Breezy, I keep a bottle of Rock 'n Rye on hand at all times. I've never seen it with the rock candy though, just with a lemon wedge in the bottle. Mom used to mix about a tablespoon or so with a little honey & lemon juice for chest congestion. I still use it to for myself, but I generally take about a shot glass full now.
I remember dad drinking Hot Toddies when he got a bad cold. When I close my eyes and think about it I can remember the smell . I can't remember what all was in it but I know there was whiskey......probably why I can't stand the smell of whiskey to this day.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I dont love the smell of it, but it certainly brings back the same memories as you, mom rubbing it on my back and chest. I stil do the vicks too. It works!
I hate Vicks....oh the way it made my pjs stick to my chest with that gooey yucky smelly stuff. Bleeck.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #37
Head Chef

We were generally given dry toast and our own 6 pack of ginger-ale to nurse us through. We weren't allowed much pop either as kids so it was a treat to have 6 cans all to your self ...
I had a ton of colds and ear infections as a kid and my mom was a firm believer in Robotusin (spelling?) cough medicine ... I can't stand anything with a medicinal cherry taste or smell to this day! A few years ago, my SIL and her kids were living with us and we were trying to live on a shoe string budget so we had the bright idea to mix vodka and the kids' cherry kool-aid. OMG. Instant gag and stomach toss.

It's so interesting all the home remedies that used whiskey, even for kids. My grandmother would give us sips of blackberry brandy for a bad cough. That I can still handle! I keep a bottle on hand just for that.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
What I could never figure out was how/why the alcohol didn't dissolve the rock candy, since it's just sugar. Any chemist-type folks here know the answer to that?
auntdot, you are needed here.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:43 PM   #39
Master Chef

Funny how many repeats there are:

7up &/or Ginger Ale -- we were NOT allowed pop in our everyday lives, so this was a real treat.

Ginger Tea -- Mom made it with copious amounts of powdered ginger, honey if she had it (sugar if not) and maybe milk.

Lipton's Chicken Noodle Soup -- to this day I love it when I have a cold even better than my own home-made. Mom made it up with extra water when we were very sick, then added extra noodles as we got to feel better.

Ice Cream, especially with a sore throat.

Not only did old cough meds often contain considerable amounts of alcohol, but often a good dose of codein. These were referred to by my parents as "GI Gin". I don't know if they were OTC or Rx.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #40
Senior Cook

i threw up when i ate beets one time and now i can't eat them or i'm afraid i'll throw up.