Foods you associate with being sick as a child or adult

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Yesterday I opened up a bottle of 7up. I'd picked it up with a free coupon I had. Instantly when I opened it I thought, "I don't know about this" as my stomach did a little dance. I was determined to try to get past that feeling and not waste it but couldn't. I had to pour it out. Memories flooded me as being a child and being sick (throwing up) and this is what mom would give me. And then as an adult having to mix a Fleets (laxative) with the 7up for a proceedure. The memories of the taste of that Fleets mixture came rushing back to me with the 1st drink. It amazes me that the brain can do this.

Another one for me is Jello. I got sick on it one time after one of my C-Sections and to this day I can't bring myself to eat it.

The other things mom gave to me while I was sick never had an effect on me in my adult life.....I can still eat them without problems.......Chicken Noodle Soup, Toast and Saltine Crackers.

Last edited:
Ginger ale. Mom made such a thing about it, I thought it was a special treat. I still love it.

Ginger ale, Campbell's chicken noodle soup, saltine crackers, jello:)sick: I can't stand it now), & those packets of instant soup. Those are the things my mom would give me when I was sick. My kids get all of that except the instant soup.

Last edited:
Yup - 7-Up & Ginger Ale, both big-time upset-tummy foods while growing up. Also (of course) chicken broth & chicken soup, as well as dry or VERY lightly buttered toast. Hot tea &/or lemonade with rock candy added was also a frequent soothing remedy for bad colds.

And though I'm certainly not advocating alcoholic beverages for children, when we had very bad colds or flu, etc., our nighttime beverage was often a cup of tea with a small dash of whiskey. In fact, there used to be something called "Rock 'n Rye", which was Rye whiskey with a skewer of rock candy in the bottle. That was, frankly, kept around our household just for bad colds - lol!! (Keep in mind that this was over 40 years ago.)

My mom used to rub whiskey on sore gums when you had new teeth coming in.

I've continued the practice on myself (by the glassfull), just in case.

The opening paragraph of the following

http://www.johnpowell.net/gasman/11alco.htm

describes the effects of Mum drinking sherry before breastfeeding and of gripe water on babies! I understand that gripe water is alcohol-free these days. Wonder if that makes it less effective!

And on the subject of the thread: I can't even bear the smell of Lucozade, let alone the taste.

Andy M. said:
My mom used to rub whiskey on sore gums when you had new teeth coming in.

I've continued the practice on myself (by the glassfull), just in case.

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :-p THAT WAS FUNNY!!!

Does anyone remember - from way back when - when commercial over-the-counter cough medicines had more alcohol in them than anything else - lol???

This takes me back and I fed my sons the exact same thing when they were ill:

dry toast, chicken noodle and chicken and rice soup, gingerale, jello, saltines and popsicles.

When I had a cough, I remember my mom mixing whiskey and sugar together to ease my sore throat.

When I didn't feel well as a child ( I had asthma really bad) my mother would stir up a little butter and sugar mix. And put it on a piece of bread. What a treat, because dad was gone in the army (it was world war II) and there wasn't anything to spare. So it meant a lot to me.:heart:

For me, pizza pops are the source of nausea. Not because I got sick after eating one, but because my daughter (who fell out of a tree and concussed herself) hurled one all over the inside of my van (replicating those commercials...) on the way to the ER. Ugh. Can't even smell one without gagging. She can't eat one either. Other daughter loves the stupid things so I break down and buy them once in a while. Blech.

Bud Light and Lil Smokies. I've never been sicker. Of course, I don't remember much of that night, but I do remember how they tasted both times....

phinz said:
Bud Light and Lil Smokies. I've never been sicker. Of course, I don't remember much of that night, but I do remember how they tasted both times....
:sick: Ewwww.

when beeing ill:
the chicken noodle soup and for the cold: hot milk with honey, I hated that, or hot lemonjuice

as a small kid i really got ill from wafles, I couldn't stand even the smell of it for years without getting sick, but by now I'm already able to eat one or two :mrgreen:

When I was in nursing school I went to class with the flu because we were only allowed to miss 3 days for the entire program (14 months). Someone made popcorn and it took me years before I could eat the stuff because of the smell. I still to this day can only eat a handful and thats it. Occasionally, the smell still gets me.

Back
Top Bottom