Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone read Koontz' Frankenstien series?? I read them a while back and got "Koontzed out" But a good series nonetheless. I just pilfered DD's complete Lovecraft book today.
I finally broke my "junkfood for the brain" magazine habit.

Anyone read Koontz' Frankenstien series?? I read them a while back and got "Koontzed out" But a good series nonetheless. I just pilfered DD's complete Lovecraft book today.
I finally broke my "junkfood for the brain" magazine habit.

Yes, I read the Frankenstein series. They were really good and different from his other writing.

By the way, thanks, Timothy for posting about the physics book.

In my high school SAT tests, I scored highest in physics, which I've never studies, and have always wanted to get a good textbook. Even if I only read at bedtime, I think I'll get a lot out of it. I also think bedtime reading would be an excellent time to "sleep on it" and absorb it better, in my opinion.

You're very welcome, Zhizara. I found it on the net for $25, through Amazon. That's not a bad price for a text book.

The reviews on this book were all favorable and there were a LOT of them.

trying to get into "Mr. Fox" by Helen Oyeyemi for book club. Have to get it read by next Sunday... I keep picking it up and putting it down. One reviewer called it "Funny, deep, shocking, wry, heart-warming and spine-chilling..." Now, who wouldn't want to read that? I'm not feeling it... on page 38. hah

You're very welcome, Zhizara. I found it on the net for $25, through Amazon. That's not a bad price for a text book.

The reviews on this book were all favorable and there were a LOT of them.

I did even better. Someone here at DC turned me on to Abe Used Books (Alix?). $5.56 with free shipping!

I am a new member and here is a little about me: living in the Mediterranean between 2 Mediterranean countries, for my Profession and my paternal Grandmom Margherite, owned her own Trattoria ...

Now to your post, Type of book :

Gastronomically oriented or Fiction or Non Fiction on a non-food topic ?

If you like campy murder mysteries there are several that feature chefs, cooks, bakers, gourmets. Many feature recipes. If you're interested, I'll do a search and come up with some authors.

Have you ever checked out the town Casadaga in florida?

Physics, not Psychics. Timothy, Casadaga is a town of Psychics, not that far from where you live! A once Utopian community that has been settled by palmists, tarot card readers, etc. Doubt you'll find much Physics there! But it is worth a side trip if you're ever in the area. I have friends who wouldn't miss the place when visiting our neck of the woods.

Right now I'm looking for an "Orphan Train" trilogy. Started my research at Amazon and was surprised to realize there are at least two of them. So went further and the one I want is by Robert Noonan. It strongly features Galena. Surprisingly, my library doesn't have it. I'm not sure I want to buy it, but might go ahead. I just don't often buy books, especially novels.

I am a new member and here is a little about me: living in the Mediterranean between 2 Mediterranean countries, for my Profession and my paternal Grandmom Margherite, owned her own Trattoria ...

Now to your post, Type of book :

Gastronomically oriented or Fiction or Non Fiction on a non-food topic ?

Welcome!! If I am not mistaken, Any book or mag, fits the topic.

Last edited:
Physics, not Psychics. Timothy, Casadaga is a town of Psychics, not that far from where you live! A once Utopian community that has been settled by palmists, tarot card readers, etc. Doubt you'll find much Physics there! But it is worth a side trip if you're ever in the area. I have friends who wouldn't miss the place when visiting our neck of the woods.
That doesn't sound like my cup of tea, Claire. I'm more into real science, not Pseudo Science. I did look up that town. It's hard for me to believe that a town could dedicate itself to that type of thing.

Right now I'm looking for an "Orphan Train" trilogy. Started my research at Amazon and was surprised to realize there are at least two of them. So went further and the one I want is by Robert Noonan. It strongly features Galena. Surprisingly, my library doesn't have it. I'm not sure I want to buy it, but might go ahead. I just don't often buy books, especially novels.

Claire, you might want to ask your library if they can get those books for you on the Inter-Library-Loan-Service (ILLS). Mine has always found every book I've wanted using that service. I never buy books any more unless it's a book I want as a reference later.

That's an awesome buy, Zhizara! You found quite a deal.

I've been buying from them for over a year now. It usually costs me $3.95 for used paperbacks, which I prefer because most hard bound books are too tall for my bookcases. Hard bound books are usually the same price. I love it that it's delivered.

barnes and noble has announced that it will not stock amazon published books on its shelves. i could be wrong but it seems to me that whenever large corporations turn against each other, the consumer reaps benefits from the inevitable price wars....

barnes and noble has announced that it will not stock amazon published books on its shelves. i could be wrong but it seems to me that whenever large corporations turn against each other, the consumer reaps benefits from the inevitable price wars....

I didn't know that Amazon published anything. I've never noticed, anyway.

Or are you saying that B&N won't stock any books *sold* on Amazon?

If it's the latter, B&N is nuts.

I didn't know that Amazon published anything. I've never noticed, anyway.

Or are you saying that B&N won't stock any books *sold* on Amazon?

If it's the latter, B&N is nuts.

I agree. They would profit from selling those books since many people would prefer not to have to pay for shipping.

amazon apparently has a number of exclusive publishing contracts. b&n states specifically that it will not be shelving (selling) any books published--released by amazon. this is intended to hurt amazon's book sales more than it does b&n.

One more reason to NOT go to B&N again.

Maybe they'll meet Elvis at K-Mart or Food Lion.

Reminds me of the old Slap-Stchick line; "Shoot me...Please!"

Senior Management people are pretty far out there. None of them are in touch with reality. I saw and heard some pretty strange stuff at the plant I worked on here in St. Augustine. To be upper management, I think you have to pass an "I'm an idiot" test. They all have thier collective noses jammed into so many presentations and spreadsheets that they've forgotten what the real world looks like.

Back
Top Bottom