Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anne rice recently broke off her decade's old affair with organized religion, and i am once again spellbound by her velvety prose. god help me, twenty years ago i willingly followed her into her world of vampires. so here i go again, only this time it is werewolves instead of vampires. the book, the wolf gift, is the same age old tug-of-war between good and evil which anne rice does so masterfully well. i am such an unlikely fan of vampires, werewolves and supernatural romance, but i'm thrilled to see anne back in her element and practicing her craft again....

I read some Anne Rice quite a few years back and her books terrified me. I'm serious... everytime I would read about Lestat, it would start storming outside. I finally gave up, threw the book under the bed, couldn't sleep so I got up and threw it outside. :LOL:

I read some Anne Rice quite a few years back and her books terrified me. I'm serious... everytime I would read about Lestat, it would start storming outside. I finally gave up, threw the book under the bed, couldn't sleep so I got up and threw it outside. :LOL:

Reminds me of when I was reading "Cujo" by Stephen King. I had to remove the front cover of the book...probably wouldn't have been as hair raising for me if our new neighbors upstairs didn't have a baby blue Pinto and a St. Bernard:ROFLMAO:

Reminds me of when I was reading "Cujo" by Stephen King. I had to remove the front cover of the book...probably wouldn't have been as hair raising for me if our new neighbors upstairs didn't have a baby blue Pinto and a St. Bernard:ROFLMAO:

:LOL:

PrincessFiona60 said:

:LOL:

When I read "The Exorcist" in high school, I had to put it in a drawer in another room before I went to bed. Creeped me out big time.

Forgot if I said, finished and enjoyed Hunger Games (got the sequels on the way), finished and enjoyed A Game of Thrones (got the sequels on the way), finished and enjoyed The Drop by Michael Connell (his latest Harry Bosch novel), and currently reading and enjoying Hard Magic by Larry Correia. Hard Magic was recommended here in this topic, thanks whoever suggested it! :) I also have the sequel on the way. (On the way = reserved at local public library.)

Also thanks to those in the topic I think next time I run out of ideas perhaps I'll read a few classics, perhaps Dickens or Tolstoy.

Forgot if I said, finished and enjoyed Hunger Games (got the sequels on the way), finished and enjoyed A Game of Thrones (got the sequels on the way), finished and enjoyed The Drop by Michael Connell (his latest Harry Bosch novel), and currently reading and enjoying Hard Magic by Larry Correia. Hard Magic was recommended here in this topic, thanks whoever suggested it! :) I also have the sequel on the way. (On the way = reserved at local public library.)

Also thanks to those in the topic I think next time I run out of ideas perhaps I'll read a few classics, perhaps Dickens or Tolstoy.

I have had Game of Thrones sitting here since it first came out, just haven't got around to it! I need to go back through this thread and make a list of the books recommended that I haven't read yet. (and probably re- read a few that I had forgotten about!)

Not everybody will enjoy A Game of Thrones. I did and I'm looking forward to the sequels, but I'm somewhat put off knowing that it will be several years before the series is concluded, and much longer if the author meets his demise before the final is published.

Those who enjoyed A Game of Thrones should consider reading the Sword of Shadows series by J.V. Jones, currently 4 in a series of 5 completed. Jones's novels are the closest I've read to Martin's novels.

With either or both you gotta hope the author doesn't get hit by a bus before the series is completed, or have a heart attack like Stieg Larsson. Although admittedly much harder on the authors than on the readers.

As the TV series is going to run 7 years and mirror the books (except 4 & 5 since those books run concurrently with split character sets) I think Martin will step up his game some. I do hope it doesn't cause him to rush it and put out something he isn't happy with. But I suspect HBO is not one to sit and wait on you... :)

It makes sense that as long as the TV series remains popular and assuming the number of seasons equals the number of volumes, and since the TV series started in 2011 then the final season will be 2018. So Martin probably has to finish the 7th volume and presumably publish it in 2017 (soon enough that he doesn't hinder shooting the final season).

1. Game of Thrones (1996)
2. Clash of Kings (1999) 3 years
3. Storm of Swords (2000) 1 year
4. Feast for Crows (2005) 5 years
5. Dance with Dragons (2011) 6 years
6. Winds of Winter (2014?) 3 years?
7. Dream of Spring (2017?) 3 years?

It looks like he lost a little momentum for #4 and #5 but I think we can count on the pressure of TV production to motivate him to finish #6 and #7 by 2017.

OTOH factors may conspire to extend the series to 8 novels. Nobody wants the golden goose dead. :)

I'm trying to finish up the book I've been reading so I can start the one I picked up today. "Fuzzy Nation," by John Scalzi. Looks like a great tribute to H. Beam Piper who brought us the original "Little Fuzzy" half a century ago. Absolutely one of my favorite stories.

I went to the used book store this morning and was fortunate to find the third in a series of books by Rennie Airth. The titles are River Of Darkness, The Blood-Dimmed Tide and The Dead Of Winter.

I went to the used book store this morning and was fortunate to find the third in a series of books by Rennie Airth. The titles are River Of Darkness...

It appears to be a post WW I mystery novel (series) and it looked interesting enough that I reserved the first in the series at my public library.

Back
Top Bottom