"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #1731
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I'd like to put that on my list -- is that the title? I couldn't find it in my library catalog. TIA.
Tinlizzie, I bought it at the National American Indian Museum store in Washington. Here's a link that might help:
National Museum of the American Indian

Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #1732
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
the glass castle, very good, a read that you don't want to end. i have have been reading way to much micheal connealy.
I liked the Glass Castle! Very compelling read. That book and Prizewinner of Defiance Ohio both made me very grateful for my childhood in a stable family!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #1733
Executive Chef

I have JUST started using my library. I know, shame, shame!

Since time seems to be the main factor in reading, I was wondering about author James Patterson. Now you see her now you don't, is good. Piqued my interest. Are there some others by him that any of you could suggest? He is one who has kept me reading so far. I do enjoy getting lost in someone else's life.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #1734
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post

Since time seems to be the main factor in reading, I was wondering about author James Patterson. Now you see her now you don't, is good. Piqued my interest. Are there some others by him that any of you could suggest? He is one who has kept me reading so far. I do enjoy getting lost in someone else's life.

Thanks
I've read nearly everything Patterson has written and loved it all. He has several genres that he pursues. One is the Woman's Murder Club, which centers around 4 professional ladies, one is a police officer/detective, another a forensic/coroner type, a third is an assistant district attorney and the fourth is a newspaper reporter. I enjoyed the series and came to appreciate and understand the dynamics among the four ladies.

Another is his science fiction (?) group. Not sure science fiction is the right description, but I thoroughly enjoyed the "Maximum Ride" stories about a group of genetically designed winged children. I actively dislike science fiction but I loved these books.

His third venue is sort of romantic/mystery, which is just as good as the other two. Any time Patterson cranks out a new book, I try to read it.

Oh, I almost forgot...he has another group. It's his Alex Cross series, which revolves around a seasoned police officer/detective and his life. Many of his stories take place in Washington, DC, which interests me because I lived there for 30 years.

From my point of view, any thing you choose that Patterson has written will be enjoyable.

He's very prolific and often co-authors with others. Always good.

Have fun.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #1735
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I just finished James Patterson's 10th Anniversary, which I thoroughly enjoyed and can't wait for him to add another to this series.

Yesterday afternoon I began reading Mrs. Astor Regrets by Meryl Gordon. It's about Brooke Astor the Mrs. Astor. So far it's quite interesting and makes me want to have met the lady. She certainly didn't let the grass grow under her feet and kept going at nearly full tilt until she died at 105. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #1736
Executive Chef

Thanks for response. i have almost read this book in two days which to me i something I never thought I COULD do. He is a easy read. Many books some people say are good I don't find same opinion. I remember you Katie H and happy to see you still giving your opinions.

Take care. Don't know if I posted in proper place but will sure find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I've read nearly everything Patterson has written and loved it all. He has several genres that he pursues. One is the Woman's Murder Club, which centers around 4 professional ladies, one is a police officer/detective, another a forensic/coroner type, a third is an assistant district attorney and the fourth is a newspaper reporter. I enjoyed the series and came to appreciate and understand the dynamics among the four ladies.

Another is his science fiction (?) group. Not sure science fiction is the right description, but I thoroughly enjoyed the "Maximum Ride" stories about a group of genetically designed winged children. I actively dislike science fiction but I loved these books.

His third venue is sort of romantic/mystery, which is just as good as the other two. Any time Patterson cranks out a new book, I try to read it.

Oh, I almost forgot...he has another group. It's his Alex Cross series, which revolves around a seasoned police officer/detective and his life. Many of his stories take place in Washington, DC, which interests me because I lived there for 30 years.

From my point of view, any thing you choose that Patterson has written will be enjoyable.

He's very prolific and often co-authors with others. Always good.

Have fun.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #1737
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post

Thanks
good to hear you're discovering the joy of reading, kitchen."getting lost in someone else's life" is a great way of putting it--one of the main reasons i love to read, for sure....
Old 09-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #1738
Chef Extraordinaire

the concrete blond by micheal Connelly. i had requested a lot of his books at different times. they all came in together. have read six in the last three weeks. i may return the other six back unread. i am getting sick of his writing, just a case of overkill.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #1739
Head Chef

Any Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich) fans here? Judging by the movie trailer the movie made from "One For The Money" is (IMHO) is going to bomb. They cast all the wrong people for it. What do you think?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #1740
Executive Chef

babetoo: Six? Wow isn't that some kind of record? Must have really caught your interest. I just have to keep checking this thread, is that what they call it, to see what others are enjoying. As I said, two days for this book I thought was pretty good, anyway for me!