Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds like a good read, Charlie. Thank you for sharing the link. Any novel that includes recipes from back in the day is my kind of book. ;):)

Paper Moon, about the con man, Moses Pray, in the 30s, with his daughter helping him out.

I just finished The Phantom Filly. They made a movie based on this book back in 1944, I think it was, that starred Lon McAllister and Walter Brennan. The movie was OK, the book is an enjoyable read from start to finish.

Leaving a link IS a good idea, Kayelle. Thank you, Charlie, for giving us such a great idea!

I just picked up a book from the library, but haven't started it yet. It's called "An Everlasting Meal". The info I read online before I requested it described it as more of an essay and less of a cookbook. Sounded intriguing, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace

Leaving a link IS a good idea, Kayelle. Thank you, Charlie, for giving us such a great idea!

I just picked up a book from the library, but haven't started it yet. It's called "An Everlasting Meal". The info I read online before I requested it described it as more of an essay and less of a cookbook. Sounded intriguing, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace

Ahh Haa CG!! I gotta have this one also! It sound like just the thing so many cooks here strive for..cooking by "creative instinct" rather the the religion of never straying from a recipe.
Thanks for the link! Yep, I try to always leave a link for anything I read. Goodreads is a good one.

Actually I was afraid that I'd be told to remove the link, as it might be considered advertising.

Also, the description is somewhat misleading. It is not all about "cute". It is about life, work, choices people make. I couldn't put it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Actually I was afraid that I'd be told to remove the link, as it might be considered advertising.

Also, the description is somewhat misleading. It is not all about "cute". It is about life, work, choices people make. I couldn't put it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Not to worry Charlie, as long as you aren't the author. Links for Amazon for example are left all the time.

I could not make it any further than page 27 in this book. Page 27! Let's just say most of the posts here on DC are better reading.

Returned to the library, and picked up another non-cookbook cooking book: "My Kitchen Year: 136 Recipes That Saved My Life" by Ruth Reichll. I'm more hopeful for this book, since I've seen Ruth Reichl on "The Chew" and she has been interesting to watch and listen to. I should be offline for the night soon, and plan on cracking the book open for a a bit of reading before hitting the sack.

I could not make it any further than page 27 in this book. Page 27! Let's just say most of the posts here on DC are better reading.

Returned to the library, and picked up another non-cookbook cooking book: "My Kitchen Year: 136 Recipes That Saved My Life" by Ruth Reichll. I'm more hopeful for this book, since I've seen Ruth Reichl on "The Chew" and she has been interesting to watch and listen to. I should be offline for the night soon, and plan on cracking the book open for a a bit of reading before hitting the sack.

Thanks for that link to Goodreads CG. I read the free preview and it looks like something I'd like too.

Just past the halfway point in this book, but I couldn't wait to say how absolutely delighted I am by it! I'm savoring every nuance of Ruth's writing as if it were a delicious morsel of food. If you were a subscriber, or even picked up a copy from time to time, I think you would find this book a great read.

Eons ago, when I was a sweet young home cook, I subscribed to Gourmet in hopes that I could become very proficient in the kitchen. Was a bit overwhelmed and let the subscription slide. Things like a new house, new kids, and a corporate move interrupted playing in the kitchen. Then, once we moved and and I got my kitchen settled, I started to play again. By the time I thought I was finally up to resubscribing, Goumet was gone. :( This book lays out the process that Ruth used to heal from Gourmet Magazine closing on her watch. I fully understand, since I feel that cooking was what got me through the dark parts of trying to adjust to having to move.

I was enjoying that book so much that I slowed down on my reading the last couple of chapters just to make it last longer. Looking at all of the little Post-It flags sticking up from the "copy this" recipes makes me wonder if it might be cheaper to just buy my own book.

On to my next one tomorrow. It's another non-fiction, "I ain't an athlete, lady-- " by former baseball player John Kruk. Could be interesting...

I had some books come in from the library that I just started: Anybody Can Do Anything and The Plague and I, both by Betty MacDonald, along with The Tracker by Ton Brown, Jr waiting in the wings. I was halfway through Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon and Reflex by Dick Francis, both of which are on hold right now since I own those two and I wanted to read the library books first.

Aaaaannd.......now I'm reading The Tracker and Horse Tradin' by Ben K. Greene just arrived at the library. And wonders of wonders, I am now 25 out of 26 on the hold list to get The Big Short (book). I may end up reading that in December, the way that line is moving along.

Back
Top Bottom