Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just finished Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts. Non-fiction about the US Ambassador William E. Dodd and his time in Berlin from 1933 - 1935.

I recently finished "All the Light We Cannot See" for my book club, a beautifully written novel about two young people during World War II - a blind French girl and a German boy who is a whiz with radios. Very highly recommended.

The Pulitzer Prizes

Thanks for that review GG. I've been looking at this book for some time, as my favorite reading is historical novels. I've been reading some lighter stuff lately as I needed a break from really heavy subjects. This one sounds like another heartbreaker but I can't resist. Thanks.

I've been working my way through my stack of magazines. Took all of them to OH during the holidays - including a couple of old ones I found that had made the move from OH to here in 2000. :rolleyes: Brought home only the few recipes I clipped from them. And came home to a whole bunch more, plus a couple more that have trickled in this week. I quit!

I stopped by the library today to pick up the most recent book by Donna Andrews in her Meg Langslow series. If I'm not around for a while, it's because Meg and I are solving this latest murder. :brows:

Just finished Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts. Non-fiction about the US Ambassador William E. Dodd and his time in Berlin from 1933 - 1935.
I read this last week... I learned a lot and enjoyed reading this.. :)

Can't go wrong with a Carl Hiaasen. Have you revisited Skintight, yet?

Read that last week also... Enjoyable plots he presents.. :)

Just finished Life Among Giants by Bill Roorbach..

Good plot, intricately woven.. A lot of food references as the main character gets into the restaurant business which becomes essential to the story.. I like his writing.. :)

Ross

I read Dan Brown's Origins in a day while on our cruise a couple of weeks ago (I got quarantined with some kind of gastroenteritis). It was fairly predictable, but a good read, as Brown's books always are. Right after that I plunged into Ken Follett's newest, A Column of Fire while also still working on Demille's The Cuban Affair, Barnet's Biography of a Runaway Slave and Marlon James's A Brief History of Seven Killings.

Just finished Mary Roach's Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal. Fascinating! And funny in unexpected places. Many details on what happens to our food after we eat - the section on saliva was very interesting.

I'm about half-through Tarquin Hall's The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken. Very enjoyable with lots of on-the-way-to-solving-a-murder information on Indian life, some on the eating habits of the always-hungry (it seems) detective Vish Puri. I think someone on this thread mentioned the title, and I thank them.

Just got done reading the KATE ELLIS- Joe Plantagenet Mystery Series. Seeking the Dead - Playing With Bones - Kissing The Demons - Watching The Ghost and Walking By Night. Really enjoyed each one.

I'm in the middle of

The Pale Blue Eye by Louis Bayard..

From the critically acclaimed author of Mr. Timothy comes an ingenious tale of murder and revenge, featuring a retired New York City detective and a young cadet named Edgar Allan Poe.

Interesting book...

Ross

I found a book on my bookshelf that I don't remember buying. Maybe a houseguest left it. Anyway, I just finished it; not bad. Not a great novel, but it was entertaining. It's called "The Housewife and the Assassin," by Susan Trott.

Last week I finished the next book for my book club meeting Thursday. That was really good - a sci-fi thriller by John Scalzi called "Lock In."

Today, I started re-reading the Harry Potter series.

Back
Top Bottom