Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG, let me know if that's a really good read. My library system actually has 26 copies of that book. :ohmy: Probably because some consider it contemporary reading up here...:mrgreen:

I picked up two books at the library yesterday. My upstairs book (regular print) is the most recent entry in Laura Child's Tea Shop Mysteries, "Broken Bone China", set in Charleston SC. My basement book (large print) is another Bill O'Reilly "Killing..." book, this time about Gen. Patton. I'm going to have to remember to start ordering large print books for when I ride my stationary bike - I've almost run through the entire non-fiction collection at the town library, and any fiction book I want needs to be read in chrono order - they're mysteries.

400 pages is nothing, GG. :huh: Wait, you aren't talking large print, are you...

After reading "Killing Patton", I admire my dear Dad even more. As a WWII vet, he never talked much about "the War". He was a medic and did not carry a gun. Since I've never been overly enthused about studying history, I never learned more than what was taught in grade and high school. O'Reilly goes into great detail about the Holocaust and WWII battles. I'm surprised I haven't had nightmares; those that lived through those times sure did.

I also finished up the sixth book in James Patterson's "Women's Murder Club", "The 6th Target". I'll return it when #7 shows up at my library branch - my account shows it to be "in transit". They'd better hurry up, I have a lot to read to get up to date. The most recent release is #18!

Just started the 7th book in Patterson's Women's Murder Club series, "7th Heaven". With the way I run through these, I think I'd better order the next two from the library as soon as I log out of DC.

Next up, Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food". It's a 2008 book, so it will be interesting to see how many of the then-current fad eating is now thought to be evil. First something's good for you, then it will kill you. So tired of the nutrition teeter-totter.

I'm partway through "Purple Hibiscus" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, for my book club. The cool thing about the book club is that I read books I probably never would have chosen myself. Sometimes that's good and sometimes not, but at least I get a girls' night out for it [emoji16]

Michael Pollan is defending food slowly - that book is on the side table next to the reading chair in the bedroom and isn't as gripping as good, ol' James Patterson. Nor should it be, but I digress...

I had the 8th and 9th books in his "Womens Murder Club" series at home. Blew through #8 and returned it to the library yesterday. Or so I thought. Settled in to start on #9 and...I still had #8 at home. Ooops! :LOL: Silly me - took the wrong book back. Well, while I'm waiting on the library system to send it back to my home library location, I'll be reading "In Defense of Food" some more.

I've been so busy reading, I haven't been reporting! Quick Patterson status: I've now read through the 13th book, Unlucky 13. I'm also about halfway through "In Defense of Food". Still waiting at home are Women's Murder Club #14 (14th Deadly Sin) and a stand-alone Lawrence Block book, "Hit and Run". :huh: :ermm: Um, I just found out it's not a stand-alone when I went to get a link to a description of the book. It appears to be #4 in a series, of which I have not read books 1-3. Nevermind...

Since we last met, I've read MWC #14 (14th Deadly Sin), #15 (15th Affair), and #16 (16th Seduction). I had started #15 rather late at night and found myself reading at oh-my-gosh-it's-no-longer-dark-30. :ohmy: Went to sleep about sunrise, got up about 6 hours later and finished it off. I'm too old to do that! :LOL: So today, when I picked up 16th Seduction from the library, I started it earlier. All done, I'm ready for bed, and won't see the sunrise this time.

Since we last met, I've read MWC #14 (14th Deadly Sin), #15 (15th Affair), and #16 (16th Seduction). I had started #15 rather late at night and found myself reading at oh-my-gosh-it's-no-longer-dark-30. :ohmy: Went to sleep about sunrise, got up about 6 hours later and finished it off. I'm too old to do that! :LOL: So today, when I picked up 16th Seduction from the library, I started it earlier. All done, I'm ready for bed, and won't see the sunrise this time.

I hear ya CG. I have a book sitting on my bed waiting for me to pick it up and finish it. But with all the medical visits, and trying to learn how to stand up with my other leg, it tends to leave me exhausted. Old age is hard work!

Addie, books don't sit and wait for me to finish them off. When I crack open a mystery, I usually read it in two days. I read #16 in one! and still ran errands, did a load of laundry, and fixed supper. Getting old isn't as hard as reading till dawn and then getting up six hours later, no matter what your age.

I had planned on doing lots of reading on the cruise, but ship and shore activities kept me on the go. Now I can sit in my favorite chair and really get into "A Gentleman in Moscow". I got lots of recommendations from fellow passengers and the one I'm most looking forward to is "Where the Crawdads Sing". Has anyone read it?

I have read and enjoyed "A Gentleman in Moscow"..

I have placed a hold on "Where the Crawdads Sing", mainly because the author is compared to Barbara Kingsolver.. Love her books..

Unfortunately I'm #151 on my library list so, it will be a while..

Ross

I finally got a lamp for my favorite place to sit and occupied myself. The Touch[./I] Collen McCullough is the author. She wrote The Thornbirds. She has written other books. But since the city built us a spanking brand new library, it is at the other end of town. I will have to have Spike pick up the next one of her books.

Now where did I put my reading glasses. I found my shawl and a big hot cup of tea is waiting for me. Yes, us old ladies still use a shawl!

Hi...its been awhile since I've been on here, just wanted to reply to Kayelle's question about "Where the Crawdads Sing". I read it about a month ago, and I loved it. I hope you will give it a try. I recently finished a new book set in the hills of Kentucky..."The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek" by Kim Michele Richardson....another that I really enjoyed.

Back
Top Bottom